A-EftP - Thanks for a great game Jeff

I'm having a great time with Avernum: EFTP. The new sound effects are great, the monster and spell animations look cool (can't wait to see what the higher level spells look like) and having played Exile 1 and the original Avernum, can't wait to see some of the final battles. The World Map looks fantastic and the Quest notes are very helpful.

Really like the mystery of the unexpected bonuses on 3rd level spells. Third level Haste allowed me to finally start crossing things off the list. Man, Hard difficulty really is. This game almost made me downgrade to Normal, but I've hung in there so far.

Really solid work Jeff. And seeing this engine makes me really anticipate the next two games. Just please take it easy on us with the Golem factory, ok?

Beautiful work. Really fun game. Thanks.

I can only agree with you. I think that with avadon, this is one of the greatest games jeff has done. Whats made it so great from my point of view, was the interface. The avadon engine and interface really makes the game shine. The stats and leveling is much better as the previous games i found i got bored waiting to raise one skill. Traits are also a very great thing for this series.

Jeff, if you want a surefire way on how to continue success-do just what your doing. Keep the avadon stat and skill system and the traits as well. I can only hope that geneforge has some if not most of the features that this game has smile

Originally Posted By: Spidweb
"Just please take it easy on us with the Golem factory, ok?"

I think, on my third try, I actually have a chance to make the Golem Factory fun. Lord knows I'm going to try.

- Jeff Vogel
We're going to be attacked by clowns? Range weapons are pies and melee is joy buzzers doing energy damage. smile

Hmm... I'm picturing the Spire of Ages, except instead of gaining Crystal Wands skill, you gain Cream Pies skill (+1% to hit, +3% chance of getting a tasty filling).

Actually, it would be pretty easy to recast AEFTP with clowns and pies instead of mages and fireballs. Some of the spell graphics are already pielike (Icy Rain, I'm looking at you) and it would be easy to change the resistances from Energy, Fire, and Cold to Cream, Lemon, and Apple...

Originally Posted By: Nikki
Originally Posted By: Excalibur
Click to reveal..
The only problem is that Erika dies in the battle.

I clicked that expecting to see the requested fan-art.

Never have I been so disappointed.
My avatar is a pixelated banner drawn in Paint...surely you wouldn't be expecting fan art from me. tongue

Originally Posted By: Othar Trygvassen: Gentleman
Quote:
We're going to be attacked by clowns? Range weapons are pies and melee is joy buzzers doing energy damage.

Rentar-Ihrno is the Joker?! Does that make Erika Redmark Batman?

I always kind of suspected.

Would this make general Redmark Robin or the new Batman smile?

Originally Posted By: Othar Trygvassen: Gentleman
Quote:
Would this make general Redmark Robin or the new Batman?

He's Superman from a different continuity. It's a pretty tangled family tree.

But then, who is X supposed to be? Or Solberg? Is Demonslayer now that sword from those old He Man cartoons? And who would be Spiderman? The GIFTS?

Hm, a... fun Golem Factory?

Now that'd be a challenge to design, I think. By it's very fundamental and even optional nature, it really seems more of a challenge dungeon than a fun one - like Redbeard, but placed more appropriately. Then you start digging into "fun vs. challenge" and how much of one = the other... it's just a messy quandary.

I'unno. It's been so long, I can hardly remember my own reaction to the original - Was the Factory in Avernum more entertaining/less frustrating than the one from Exile?

It'd be a point in Jeff's favor if he was going in the right direction.

Thanks Jeff, Escape from the Pit is a masterpiece *

I saved the game seconds ago before confronting Grah-Hoth in his throne room, and took a picture.

I won't forget this thrilling moment, when Time is suspended and my Party focus on their best skills getting ready to fight.

I took three pictures along the way, another one in Sulfras place, of she and her fourteen demons; and the draw of the surface after Final Gauntlet, a precious moment.

* and it is affordable too cool

Ok, finished the game, and found it a great remake of an already fun and addictive game. Better graphics; I like the new way skills and perks work; I loved the new outdoor map, showing you where quest locations were; recent innovations like the junk bag are a nice touch; little touches like the Medals are fun. That's what immediately springs to mind.

EDIT: not forcing the game to be over even when you've done the 3 major quests was a nice touch; nod to Skyrim?

Constructive criticism: money is a bit too tight. I couldn't afford to quite buy all the spells x2, never mind any training. Also, when you do quests for someone who charges an arm and a leg for their services (spells or whatnot), why not get reduced prices as a reward. Perhaps even in lieu of gold and/or items. It bothers me that certain spell trainers never lowered their prices, despite your interactions w/ them; though I'll acknowledge some did (I think--maybe just offered cheap spells once you did something important for them or their faction).

Originally Posted By: BenS
EDIT: not forcing the game to be over even when you've done the 3 major quests was a nice touch; nod to Skyrim?

I think the original Exile was already like this: you could choose to leave when you found the exit, but if you didn't, you could keep doing stuff indefinitely. Didn't King Micah say something like "Your reward is that you can have any position in Exile that you want, but until then, just keep on doing whatever"?

Almost done with the regular game on Hard, just got to Hawthorne and am starting that run. Grah-Hoth is dust (that was a great fight) and I found the Exit, told Erika and the Scimitar, then told Thantria for the talisman and immediately betrayed her. Party near level 35, pretty tanked up; I have 40 Wisdom Crystals. I don't always bother to buff them up, they can take most anything. Once I get Hawthorne, it'll be time for my party to turn to the Dark Side, covet and steal any treasure anyone holds, destroy any powerful individuals who could threaten me, take on the dragons and then lay waste to everything.

An interesting curve with difficulty. As many have noted, finding things to do around level 6 or 7 was tough. But once my party got to level 25 or so, the fights became quite easy. I waited too long on getting Sss-Thss and wiped out the slith city with barely any effort. Which happens in a big open-ended landscape. I went into Drath's lair far too early, but still managed to clear it out. Barely. Glad I didn't read the book.

A fantastic gaming experience. The skill tree took some getting used to, and I wish I'd known about the cut off at level 30, but looking forward to a replay. I'm thinking of trying the game on Torment to make the latter half of the game more challenging.

By the by, I found 41 caches. I thought there were only 40.

I think I just realized something. Are the statistics listed in Medals and Stats for a single game or for all games played?

I remember noticing something. During my first attempt to banish Adze-Hakaii, I took a swing at him while he was still friendly, to try and get a few cheap shots in before the dialogue kicked in. Well, he never turned red, so, just to see what would happen, I took his HP down to nothing, initiated the dialogue and banished him easily. (Then the Tower swarmed me when I returned to the first floor.)

After I reloaded an earlier game, the Medals and Stats still showed I had defeated him.

So, that 41st cache must have been that. I found one, reloaded before finding it, found it again, and thus ... 41.

Gonna test this.

Ok no. Went to an earlier save, rediscovered a cache, and the Stats still say 41.

Wish I'd kept notes for you Randomizer.

• 1 month later...

Yes, thank you Jeff too for sharing your world with us!

I registered last Saturday and when I got up next morning, there was my key in the inbox. Ever since I've been having a blast in game and reading the forums. Thing about AEFTP is that the "feel", the pace, and the flavour of the game is exactly right, and for me the best remake of the Exile series. Exile 3 was almost the perfect rpg which I played until the OS itself (OS7/8/9) completely died. I'm eagerly waiting for the next two remakes using this same style and engine and hoping that Jeff will bring back all the spells in Ruined World (in particular my favs like mind duel, wall of blades and capture soul. Allowed for certain funny glitches like bumping off Prazac and Rentar haha). Even make a cameo appearance as himself again. (I think he did in one of the Exile games, sorry if I remember wrong.)

I'm sure that the battle and skill systems can use some further tweaking and fine tuning in the next two episodes. eg: maybe stone paper scissors match up system between different weapon types as in Pole (spear halberd) weapon fighters get a bonus against bashing weapon (flail, mace and Axe) fighters who get a bonus against blade (swords, wave blades, scimitar falchion) users who get a bonus against pole weapon fighters.

As for the game itself, one or two odd things; you can kill Micah and Newbury upstairs and the castle does not turn hostile. At Formello, Vermeer does not attack after you attack the mayor and students. You can attack Thantria under Formello but she will only attack if you enter her bedroom. Also, after killing Erika at her tower and then going to the teleportation pad, she will still appear and send you into the Royal spire???

• 1 month later...