A-EftP - Carry me! (items carry tips given and asked)

There are so many items to carry for major and minor quests along the way that I needed to organize distribution and picking mode. To speed up the picking I choose to let Marion, default name for Pole warrior, be the one who picks up all of Ale, Wine, Meat, Mushroom, Hammers, Iron bars, Magical notes, Bags of meal, Tongs, Pincers and so on.

Mycroft the Healer picks always up Healing, Energetic, Spiritual herbs, Mandrake roots, Graymolds, generally all that is related to his traits. Scrolls and Wands are mainly taken by Cordelia the Mage, potions are split, weapons are mainly carried by Aldous the Blade.

A couple of character that pick up always the same kind of items really speed up the party when i.e. inside a cave when you have to pick and fight continously.

I know, in the beginning it's quicker to let Aldous pick up everything, but his slots end soon.

I tend to distribute scrolls, wands, and potions among the party.

As a general rule, the fighter types will carry any "area effect" scrolls that radiate from the user, since those folks often end up attracting a good deal of attention, while "fan effect" items will generally go to the magic users. I like the MUs to have fan effect wands (etc.) because, in many cases, it helps to have a bit of stand-off distance with those spells.

I'd also distribute scrolls and potions evenly. Everybody can be in a tight spot at some moment. I also see a lot of sense in giving the warriors some area-effects, for the reason told above. They attract a lot of foes, and they also can risk getting one or the other beating. My MUs are the ones to get valuable return life and recover scrolls first, if I don't have enough to spread them all over the party, because they are less likely to get killed right away, as I try to keep them out of the melee.

For junk I take the Junk Bag. That's all stuff that has resale-value.

I don't collect items anymore unless I have the collection quest concerning the item in question. I did that in other Avernums, when the luggage was not yet as forgiving as this one, but I don't see the sense in it anymore. Except for imagining Jeff having fun at the thought of us collecting potted plants and scissors in reminisence of previous games.

You can also always build up caches in places that you can remember well. For instance in the gates of cities, near pylons or such like.

During fights I don't care who picks up the stuff. Actually I only pick up items, if I'm in dire need, because you loose AP as soon as you start to distribute them among your chars.

Originally Posted By: Soul of Wit
Originally Posted By: Tcheedchee
You can also always build up caches in places that you can remember well. For instance in the gates of cities, near pylons or such like.

The logical place for storage is at the Tower of Magi pylon, since it is the nexus of transportation.

This is where I stash most of my loot I think I will need in the future. I stash loot in Cotra until I can pylon travel.

When I specialized my party members there was no more need to store things on a pile somewhere, but the pylon in ToM is a keen advice.

However, there are circumstances depending to the kind of foe you fight, where you would use a magical defensive knife rather than a powerful blade, or a less protective armor which deploys a high percentage rate of acid and cold resistance and has no 10-% hit chances. What I do is to have those objects handy in pocket, while put them elsewhere doesn't seem efficient when you have no close pylons (caves, several open field areas).

There's a way to organize your main loot which consists in selecting weapons and armor to keep, as you get a lot of magical ones through the game and they fill your pockets.

Averagely weapons and armor are soon discontinued finding others which suit you better. So when you get a Steel Broadsword you don't have to store the Iron one because you know this one will always be better, then you pass it to a mate and wait to find a even better one.

Similar procedure for wands and scrolls, while you go on with the game you realize some of them don't simply do enough damage anymore 'cause the foes are stronger, so you sell them and free slots for more powerful wands and scrolls to come.

Some minor quests items like shovels, picks, pincers and so on are really annoying because each one of them occupies a slot, while wine, ale and similar pile in a single one. You can easily manage this without piling them somewhere if you organize your war(e)house grin