How work resistances?

I have under my eyes an example in game log that I don't understand :

Code:
X takes 55 points of magical damages (41 resisted).In character sheet X has Magic resistance 60%.Y takes 62 points of magical damages (2 resisted).In character sheet Y has Magic resistance 49%.Z takes 71 points of magical damages (0 resisted).In character sheet Z has Magic resistance 39%.

WTF is it just random with a max resistance possible? Possibly (or not) it's a same cone attack.

Resistance, just like armor, does not always block the exact same % of damage. The exact mechanism is obscure; there is a moderate amount of variance but the average is accurate to the written %.

For your example, you don't mention if there were any conditions active on these characters that would affect the results, like Weakness Curse, Protection, or Ward of Elements. In the above example I have to suspect that one of them is active since your results were so much lower than actual resistances.

Ok thanks I didn't knew the random. It makes resistances look a lot less interesting.

That was the first phase of a fight ie first enemy attacks just following a dialog. It was in fact the second, first was physical attack against a character. X is a fighter, Y a cleric, Z a mage.

It's hardly a curse the explanation of so weird numbers, alas I don't have anymore the proof (the log) under the eyes. But well it's a dialog chaining so I could probably try reproduce it, I'll try.

EDIT:

I repeat multiple time and yes that's almost certainly a weakness curse that makes the difference. Two characters got cursed and not the third.

Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S
Resistance, just like armor, does not always block the exact same % of damage. The exact mechanism is obscure; there is a moderate amount of variance but the average is accurate to the written %.

For your example, you don't mention if there were any conditions active on these characters that would affect the results, like Weakness Curse, Protection, or Ward of Elements. In the above example I have to suspect that one of them is active since your results were so much lower than actual resistances.

I have under eyes another weird example:

• No icon state on the character nor on any of the other characters.
  • Character sheet shows 39% Magic Resistance.
  • As far I know, no dread curse, I could check later at Tower of Magi but I'm quite sure. EDIT: Checked no dialog option about that with Throndrell so no Dread Curse.
  • So I have the log, Game Loaded. Then some exploration event and nothing special mentioned. Then the log:
    Quote:
    Combats has begun!
    X resists Stunned.
    X takes 77 points of magical damages. (0 resisted.)

That's all, first round, only one actions occurred, from enemy.

With 39% magic resistance, no chance for any curse happened, and full damages, that sucks hard. eek

EDIT: Win the fight anyway but at end got my mage and priest killed, no resurrect availble and best monsters to finish, so a huge XP penalty for Mage and Priest, I hate that.

Since my mage is doing the most damages of all, she gets the less xp one more weird (awful) math of this game, and it's not about dying, this fight is an exception.

Forgot mention but yes I checked it wasn't Torment, just Hard. Both time it was Basilik, usually I don't check those numbers very closely, more those of attacks to see enemy resistances and To Hit values. So I don't have a clue if it's often or not, only for magical damages or not, and so on.

The second was an Xsomething Basilik, the first just a Basilik.

There is a random factor on how armor and resistance work that appears to be that each 1% chance is tested to see if it works to block damage. This can lead to higher or lower damage blocking occurring from round to round. So you might have had a really bad round if the other times you take damage aren't as bad.

It's right it's for one round, I'll try check more often.

For your explanation, 39 events, let say the incredible high number of 0.25 chance (25%) each happen, ie 0.25 power 39.

This isn't even a number human can understand because it is so small. Should be something like 3 power -24. 24 zero! That's hardly the explanation.

Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S
I don't think it actually works that way. That was a theory Thurilith proposed about Nethergate: Resurrection back in, uh, 2007 or so? We haven't come up with a better theory since then, but even Thurilith doesn't think it really works that way, as I recall.

For the record, it was actually Imban who told me about the idea, and I think he based it on something Jeff told him. It could work that way or something like it, but there are definitely a number of factors that make the "damage blocked" number misleading. Blessed attackers and cursed defenders are two of them, and the Torment resistance reduction is a third: there may be others.

I listed the possible reasons that could explain 0 resisted with 39% resistance, so let recap:

Difficulty level:

I checked it and it was Hard. Not the reason.

Weakness curse:

For Weakness curse there's no character state icon on right, I checked the log but could not have seen the line. I didn't checked outdoor log but lines in log before fight start and didn't noticed anything special, it's still possible I didn't saw a line.

But is really a weakness curse can remove 39% resistance? That seems huge. The game is very wrong to not show any icon state about such important state.

Dread Curse:

Right after the fight I go to Tower of Magi and open dialog with Throndrell and had no option to remove it, so don't have it. Anyway I knew I had none.

Cursed item:

There's no more cursed items in the remake from what I have seen.

It was the entrance of Pit of the Drake, the first fight. Perhaps there's something very special because of the location, I doubt but I quote it in case.

The monster:

It was an Ur-Basilik, I reloaded the save before and reach the same dungeon and checked the same fight. It was perhaps not the same conditions, anyway it wasn't easy to reproduce but same monster, same character, same fight, but perhaps some conditions different, didn't reproduce the same log event.

Any other possible reasons?

Difficulty level:

There may be a hidden negative resistance modifier like the -36% on torment that hasn't been tested for by players.

The monster:

Ur-Basilisk have a gaze attack that might be set differently than normal monsters. I'd have to replay a fight with one, but I do remember taking lots of damage.

I was at Hard that is sure because I win the fight and saved right after and didn't override this save.

I already tested the same fight and logs was sort of normal at least no 0 resistance, from this monster type or others.

Perhaps a bug I got either from log itself either from resistance mechanisms. Or some curse I didn't quote, but one not shown in log from fight beginning, and with not clue about it at end of the fight after the save.

I wanted knew what was known causes that could involves such weird mechanism.