A-EftP - Traits-What to Choose

Ive been thinking on some of possible builds that there are in the game and i wanted to see what other people thought were good ideas for choosing traits.

So far this is what i have come up with-

Backstab

is good for any character that that fights in melee but even moreso especially for singleton characters. The main reason behind it is that any ally that fights next to you counts as a backstab. So you can summon a monster and fight along side them getting huge bonuses that only get better with a high lethal blow. Singletons that use melee should have backstab no matter what in my opinion. Cleave might work too, which would be even better.

Mighty Blow

This is not as good as you may think. While getting a 3% bonus to damage is good, its the same bonus as blademaster which makes little difference. Your better off with surehand, then you can at least have a better chance to hit.

Good health

Any of the health traits are very good ones to choose as they help any build. Even a small 5% bonus is good when you figure 5% of 200 health is 10 health. That coupled with a high endurance is just awesome.

Negotiator

Im not sure why you would want this. Ive never had a problem with money. Maybe if you gave it to a mage, but honestly there are much better traits to give.

Sage Lore (Cant remember name)

The experience bonus trait is really meh. I dont know, it might be useful if it gave a higher experience bonus but im not sure how much this will help. It could be useful if you gave to one character once but twice is really not a good idea.

Increase Endurance

This is probably one of the best traits you could take 2 or 3 of. Especially for multi/classed characters and hybrid characters. Say you have to put points into strength and intelligence for your warrior/priest. With this trait, your last very needed attribute endurance, is taken care of. The best thing about this trait is that there are no requirements to it, along with increase strength. Its a shame that increase dex has requirements otherwise that would be awesome.

Im enjoying this game so far. Any other thoughts on traits.

Experience Bonus Traits (5%)

Sounds great until you notice that monsters are giving less than 10 XP and the round off isn't giving you any bonus. This is mostly for quests and wisdom crystals and even a 200 XP crystal only gives you 10 more. Also the faster you go up, the less experience you get.

Negotiator

Really good if you are planning to buy spells to get two levels and then the spell book or lots of training so you can get to 12 on higher tier abilities.

Swordmage

Allows mage spell casters to wear bulkier armor since there isn't as much high physical damage armor out there. I noticed the difference that 20% armor/resistance makes in long battles in which characters need to get healed almost every round.

Parry Mastery

Really useful for fighters to get hit a little less in melee or with missiles. The two levels of the trait are only 6%, but once you get over 30% you notice not getting hit even when surrounded.

Challenger

This doesnt seem to work. I tried to use it for a test as a tank that used sword/shield. As others have said, when you go out in front, everyone is already set on going after you.

Elemental Mastery

This set of feats is actually very useful. Elemental damage bonuses are harder to come by than weapon bonuses.

Healing Mastery

Your better off not bothering for it as by the time you get the middle healing spells, a small bonus is better off spent on something else.

Frankly, im not sure what jeff will do to balance an already unbalanced thing once avernum 2 remake is out. When nephilim and slith are in the next game, there will have to be some sort of differentiating between the 3. Slith are hardy and good at poles, neph are agile and bowmasters. Humans might get feats until lvl 35 unlike neph/slith which might stop at 30. Im still not sure how he will do it, but it doesnt matter as it will rock anyway.

Summon Mastery

It is good for both Mage and Priest. But it's just a feeling, I didn't really made comparative tests.

Energy Blessing/Energy Boon/Unending Mana

It is cool once % increased of Mana means something but that happens rather fast.

Improved Attributes

They are interesting traits. If as advised you put all points in one Attribute type, still the bonus of To Hit and Damages they give can be worthy. In Hard it can makes a significant difference of To Hit during first levels.

Challenger

The tests isn't to throw someone in front and quote he already get the focus. But to test situations where the opponent changes its target. For example two warriors in front one with max Challenger and the other with none. Anyway, pure aggro increased automatically is hardly handy, aggro needs control to activate or not. Have it systematically if hardly good. I put 1 point in Challenger and hardly notice clear difference but after I realized it was better not have it after all.

Backstab

Worthing it but more as an ultimate damage increase when you have no other traits for that. It's too much a constraint to take profit of Backstab even if the principle is fun and it happens often, it's not that often.

Sage Lore

This is trading 1 traits for 3 skills points that can be a good option for most build.

Fortunes and Nimble traits

At opposite all those traits that trade 1 trait for only one skill points are hardly worthing it until later if you have nothing better but you probably will always have better.

<<<<<Sage Lore

This is trading 1 traits for 3 skills points that can be a good option for most build.>>>>>

I want to confirm this. Does sage lore trait for 1 character allow only him to read a spell book 3 levels higher than party cumulative Arcane Lore, or does everyone in the party get to read that spellbook

Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S
I think at this point it is safe to say that those spellbooks are the only ones with that effect. You can get 4 Sage Lore traits, no Arcane Lore whatsoever, and learn all the level 3 spells.

Interesting. Of course, without raising Arcane Lore, you can't raise Magical Efficiency more than a few points from trainers. Do you think that's a worthwhile trade-off? Do you like/dislike Magical Efficiency?

Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S
Magical Efficiency is a waste of time. Getting to 10 will effectively double your SP reserves, but you can usually leave and go heal if you run out. (If not then, when?)

No, leaving the dungeon to go heal is a waste of time. Magical Efficiency is a waste of skill points. smile

Personally, I find running back to town all the time hugely annoying and am more than happy to spend a few skill points to make the game more fun. If you're playing on Torment, though, that's probably not a good idea...

Quote:
Personally, I find running back to town all the time hugely annoying and am more than happy to spend a few skill points to make the game more fun. If you're playing on Torment, though, that's probably not a good idea...

I generally just cheat. It's not as if using 'imdrained' when one has a clear path to the dungeon exit and back to town makes one's party stronger, or enemies easier. It just cuts down on walking time.