Avadon Data Execution Protection Error

Yuna Corne

I downloaded the Avadon demo tonight, yet when I try to access it the screen either blacks out (if I open it in its own window) or whites out (if I go full screen) and then is closed by Data Execution Protection.

My drivers are up to date, I've tried restarting the computer, uninstalling and re-installing Avadon, and putting Avadon on the DEP whitelist - but when I try to do that last one, it says:

"This program must run with data execution protection (DEP) enabled. You cannot turn off DEP for this program."

With only an 'okay' to press. I didn't really want to press that okay, because I was not okay with this, but the computer was quite adamant that I press okay and would not let me do anything unless I grudgingly admitted okay.

I'm using Windows Vista on a Toshiba Satellite P205D laptop. (A friend gave me this computer; this is just another in a long line of incidents that make me want to run back to suckle on the teat of my Apple)

I'm assuming you installed Avadon in the "Program Files" folder; generally, this not a good idea for most games. Uninstall again, and reinstall the game in a different folder in the root directory (I created one called "Game Files"). Starting with Vista, Windows has become rather picky as to what the user can and cannot do with programs installed in "Program Files".

Originally Posted By: Yuna Corne
I'm using Windows Vista on a Toshiba Satellite P205D laptop. (A friend gave me this computer; this is just another in a long line of incidents that make me want to run back to suckle on the teat of my Apple)
You have my sympathy. Vista tends to be a paranoid, funky OS in general.

Originally Posted By: yarrmateys
ftp://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/win/AvadonDX.zip

does it happen with this version too, or just the original opengl one? as far as i know some of the radeon graphic card series have iffy opengl support, so it could be related.

Read this in the other Avadon thread - it works! Yay! My life is full of yay!

...only now that I've figured it out, it's bedtime...

Tomorrow is yay! Tomorrow is full of so much yay!

Originally Posted By: Yuna Corne
Mmph. Tried that, first in my downloads folder and then my desktop, but it's still doing the same exact thing.
Your download and desktop folders aren't exactly the best places to install games, since they're more or less treated as system folders. Try "C:\Game Files\Avadon" as your installation folder.