A:EftP - Is Ensnare Working Correctly?

I've been wondering about this.

In many fights, I'll use the second combat discipline to ensnare an enemy at some distance. Once hit, the game tells me the target has been ensnared. However, the very next time the creature acts, it charges multiple spaces and whacks a party member with melee.

I know that ensnare does work sometimes because I see monsters get held up by it, but I find it only affects a creature's next move around half of the time. Maybe less.

Are status effects checked for wearing off at the start of a creatures turn, thereby removing it before it can have any effect?

Yes, status effects and regeneration are done at the beginning of the turn.

I think the problems is that with resistance to effects, some creatures only get half the effect (1 turn) and others get full (2 turns). So the next action after yours appears to have no effect.

It does work for you too so negative status effects from their action are gone at the start of your turn.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door. It aids with comprehension of these games.