A-EftP - Stuck in the Drath crypt

So far the game's been playing great and I've been enjoying the revamped Avernum.

But in the Drath crypt, I've gone through it three or four times, pressing the U key every few steps, trying to figure out a way to get to those 2 levers behind the gate in the SE corner. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong here (or not doing right)? Thanks in advance.

You need to come down the stairs in the southeast corner instead of falling down when the bridge collapses. Just to the east of the first level bridge is a hidden switch that opens a "safe" route that leads to a door that only opens if you have the stone key from the Old Battlefield east of the Cave of Motrax. Then just fight a few undead and other monsters to reach the stairs.

Continuing on in the crypt...

What's the best approach to the teleporter maze? Is it a variation of the old adventure standby of dropping an object to figure out where you've been? Is it a random event thing where I'll eventually know I'm in the correct spot?

BTW, I despise the "lights go out" gameplay. This my second request for help on this game, and they've both involved limited visibility.

Originally Posted By: Soul of Wit
Continuing on in the crypt...

What's the best approach to the teleporter maze? Is it a variation of the old adventure standby of dropping an object to figure out where you've been? Is it a random event thing where I'll eventually know I'm in the correct spot?

BTW, I despise the "lights go out" gameplay. This my second request for help on this game, and they've both involved limited visibility.

I dropped different kinds of food in each circle.

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
Jeff said he wouldn't change it because it's the third time he used it and figures if previous generations of players can figure it out you should.

The portals go to the same locations each time and I spent about 15 minutes figuring them out.

That's just it; I am one of those previous players. As soon as the lights go out, I lose all interest in stumbling about to figure out if where I am has changed. Thanks for the replies, folks.

And still not grasping this...

Right portal returns me to the portal maze entry portal. Nothing appears to have changed there.

Center portal leads to a switch that gives a soft click and nothing else.

Left portal leads to a switch than gives grinding of stone.

The latter opens a tunnel that leads to open water. No other switches/doors or anything useful.

Is the order that I use the portals important?

I've been there but couldn't get the right thing for Rita. I know, it's weird, I passed the underground four portals and I'm close to be sure I've found spells and other stuff, but not what was requested. Say this because I returned to the crypt now for the fourth time. How to get there? And why I can only enter the Crypt but not the two caves aside? Is that part of the game or a bug?

I saw there are caves here and there that one can't enter, which simply give you something when you happen to be there for the first time. Is this the case? I experimented with Editor's cave lore levels, setting on 12 (+2 for two members of the party) and I couldn't enter either.

There is an important quest in Scree Pits, that's why I ask how to enter there, there are signs and everything here suggest these two caves, or one of them, are important.

I made it through the Crypt of Drath, but I felt like I stumbled on a way through (to reach Drath himself) relatively quickly, and it left me with a few questions. Is there anything cool in the various portal chambers that I might have missed? What bonus does the spell book give if I read it (I took it instead, figuring someone somewhere will want it)? What happens if I let Drath flee instead of interrupting his spell?

Originally Posted By: Soul of Wit
And still not grasping this...

Right portal returns me to the portal maze entry portal. Nothing appears to have changed there.
Center portal leads to a switch that gives a soft click and nothing else.
Left portal leads to a switch than gives grinding of stone.

The latter opens a tunnel that leads to open water. No other switches/doors or anything useful.

Is the order that I use the portals important?

Bump.

What I did: I entered the first portal. Then I kept entering the eastern portal, checking for switches each time. I think the second time I went through it, there was a switch in a different spot than I'd seen before, and it opened a path to Drath. (Hopefully I'm remembering correctly what I did.)

Originally Posted By: Triumph
What I did: I entered the first portal. Then I kept entering the eastern portal, checking for switches each time. I think the second time I went through it, there was a switch in a different spot than I'd seen before, and it opened a path to Drath. (Hopefully I'm remembering correctly what I did.)

It appears that you remembered correctly. Thanks. I'm not a fan of searching for switches in the dark.