Bought Escape From the Pit From App Store, Lost Saved Games

Nora

I recently downloaded the demo of Avernum: Escape From the Pit and decided to buy the full game from the Mac App Store. Now I do seem to have the full game but my saved games are gone which is pretty annoying since I had done most of the demo (including some relatively difficult areas like the Rat Caves) and if there's anyway to get the saved games back to I don't have to do it over it would be much appreciated. (My Mac is relatively new and in the past I've always played Spiderweb games on PCs)

Saved games should have been unaffected by getting the full game. They should have loaded fine unless you are using OS 10.7. Then they are saved here according to Jeff Vogel:

If you run it on 10.7 Lion, all of your settings and saved games will be stored in a special operating system sandbox. Your settings and saved games will not be visible. The sandbox is in ~Library/Containers/com.spiderwebsoftware.Avernum.

Look in user/Library/Application Support/Spiderweb Software for the saved game folder Avernum Saved Games for older OS versions.

You need to copy the older saved games over from user/Library/Application Support/Spiderweb Software to the new location.

Go to ~Library/Containers/com.spiderwebsoftware.Avernum by clicking on Library and then Containers and then right clicking on the file: com.spiderwebsoftware.Avernum and using the open package option to open it in a new window, then you can replace the saved games with the older ones by copying them from the other location. There should just be the one folder Avernum Saved Games that holds all 20 saved games.

Thanks for the answer, Randomizer.

To clarify, the appstore version puts the save files in

~Library/Containers/com.spiderwebsoftware.Avernum

I found that it did not have an "Open Package" option. Instead it behaved like a folder.

So I had to go further to find the location of the appStore version:

A) ~Library/Containers/com.spiderwebsoftware.Avernum/Data/Library/Application Support/Avernum Saved Games and there were the Save0 -> Save19 folders.

Meanwhile, the saved games from the SpiderWeb download (demo) were actually in:

B) ~Library/Application Support/Spiderweb Software/Avernum Saved Games

I moved the save folders from B) to A) and I was back in business. Thanks for the tip. Just clarified where things were in my case, which might help others. I'm sure lots will experience it.

I would suggest that Jeff maybe writes some code to take care of that problem for us faithful patrons.

For those on Lion, bear in mind that the library contents are, by default, hidden. You can find & install DesktopUtility, which will add a little menu on the right side of the menubar that sort of looks like a gear. Anyway, it lets you SHOW INVISIBLE FILES and SHOW USER LIBRARY. And its freeware.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I found this thread while looking for answers to my tech support problem (link to my thread/post below)

Ociporus, I downloaded Desktop Utility, but when I double-click to install, nothing happens. Please can you advise where the menubar is, that the little menu will appear on the right side of? Thanks...

UPDATE: I found the "gear"... sorry, dumb question!