Cant Beat any game in this series

Mr. Blonde

Randomizer (again) got the really good points (of course, the early bird gets the worm). But here is another tip.

-------------

Being solo has more disadvantages than advantages. Of course, you could always use magic and magic to make your attacks stronger. But I recommend Shaping. If you created a thahd for actually no reason and put it in your front lines, it can be suicidal for the creation but it takes the enemy's turn...

-------------

-That's what real Shapers do, Nightwatcher

Originally Posted By: Death Knight
If you don't follow jeff's hidden way of playing, your screwed. None of the new games have that, which is good.

In the Geneforges you really can't go wrong as long as you only invest points in those areas which are cheapest for your class. While not as obvious as skill trees, perhaps, the fact that shaping skills are incredibly expensive for agents, for example, does provide some degree of guidance.

I'd say a bigger problem is probably inconsistency between games. It's a bit confusing, for example, when parry is super overpowered in one game, then nerfed beyond all recognition in the next, or bows are awesome in one game, but suck in the next (etc, etc). Which is a problem with alot of spiderweb games (i.e. balance swings all over from game to game, so even though a game might have all the same skills as other games in the series, that doesn't mean they are actually the same). But this isn't really something that skill trees could fix.

Quote:
Being solo has more disadvantages than advantages. Of course, you could always use magic and magic to make your attacks stronger. But I recommend Shaping. If you created a thahd for actually no reason and put it in your front lines, it can be suicidal for the creation but it takes the enemy's turn...

Nah. By far the easiest time I've had with the Geneforges was playing as either a solo agent (with maxed mental magic, and battle magic as secondary) or a solo servile (with maxed mental magic and melee as secondary). Daze, Charm, and terror make these games incredibly easy--especially charm as most bosses will spawn creations during fights, allowing you to charm them and turn their own creations against them. And in the earlier games nearly everything is susceptible to terror (even bosses).

Like I said, though, maybe it's just personal preference in the end. I hate having to manage creations and reload every time one dies. Plus, having 5-7 of them really does slow the game down significantly as each one has to play its attack animation in combat (I guess I'm too impatient to be a shaper).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still loitering through Geneforge, nowhere near done, but I really got my ass kicked yesterday. (I'll try not to spoil too much) First I used ages to get into the Refugee Caves, and then met my match on the way to the nearby docks. I'm one of those that gleefully runs back to town to rest as often as I need it, but the pummeling I received was so far the most severe.

I have experienced jump in difficulty when I explore areas not linked together by a quest, where one is quite a few levels higher than the adjacent area. The way to the docks however, were a tad cruel in the way the difficulty increased so sudden. Now I'm weeping my way around on the map to gain a level or two before trying again tongue

So anyway, I understand the frustration of players that haven't cracked the code, or that really do not wish to reduce the game difficulty down to casual. (I've not cracked any codes, I'm merely one them 'I'm puny so I play on casual difficulty'-players.)

If u ever get back into geneforge I played through as an Agent on 1-3 and as a Servile on 4 and practically done with 5. Ill give you every tip I got. Every secret, how to utilize spells and Ive honestly never went through as a missle heavy fighter or even buffed with all those crappy mechanics and leadership and stealth items. What u need is an epic sword, Speed for games 1-4, healing craft, and healing pods out the wazoo.

• 2 weeks later...

Guardians are great to play in G2. Later in the game you (with good Intelligence) can have a small army. With good Parry levels, it is possible to evade almost every hit. Leadership and Mechanics are always invaluable but you can still make it through without them. Guardians are also desribed to be like a tank. In the latter games they start out with some levels of magic skill, but in the early games, Guardians started with zeroes in Magic, making spells impossible to use or at an exorbitant cost.