A:EftP - Help: Battle with Tassik Schai on Island Fort

I've been stuck here for too long to admit to. I can knock out Tassik Schai, Consort of Tassik, and Scribe of Tassik. This take me five - six turns, and on the third turn or so the pits start spawning those evil clamshells from hell.

That's where things go down hill. My characters get poisoned too quickly for me to effectively use Group Heal. I end up losing more than 95 points of health in one turn because of those spitting spawns of satan. There goes my Sorcerer. I have been using the cleric spell Call Storm to deal some damage and push them back, but because of the cone shape with this spell I can only take out about half.

Do I have to have each character drink a potion of invulnerability before combat? Now I'm using the following on the whole party:

• War Blessing (1)
  • Protection (2)
  • Haste (2)

And my Soldier drinks a potion of Invulnerability, Speed, and Shielding. My rogue, with points in Bows, Sharpshooter, and Sniper also drinks a potion of Speed. All characters are 11th level.

Seems like my biggest issue is in dealing with those damned things that bubble out of the pits in the hall - since I can't deal with them while also dealing with Tassik and his cronies, I'm guessing I need a more defensive approach.

Any and all advice happily solicited and tried.

There are two things you can try, but this is way easier as a single character.

One is to retreat to the stairs so everything can only come at the party through that narrow passage. This may mean sending one character ahead in fight mode and retreating. The other is to push forward to use the wheel and get into the back room so the doorway restricts them. Either place will mean a tedious fight, but you will take less damage per round.

Otherwise I bunched up in the corner and used call the storm and icy rain to repeatedly attack groups. I burned through all my energy potions the last time and finished with less than 5 spell energy in the party.

This does get easier at higher levels when they have less chance of hitting you.

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
One is to retreat to the stairs so everything can only come at the party through that narrow passage. This may mean sending one character ahead in fight mode and retreating.

Hmmm. I like this idea. The issue now is getting flanked by those things that bubble up once Tassik Schai nears death - somewhere around 50% hit points he seems to summon those things. Retreating down the hall would keep that from happening and let me use my Call Storm and Icy Rain to keep them out of melee; where they do the most damage.

Quote:
The other is to push forward to use the wheel and get into the back room so the doorway restricts them. Either place will mean a tedious fight, but you will take less damage per round.

I've reached the wheel with my last remaining character, but couldn't say alive long enough, LOL.

Quote:

This does get easier at higher levels when they have less chance of hitting you.

I've been trying this battle since level eight. When I get my butt kicked a few times I leave, level up and return. So I'm beyond tedious ;-)

I lost at this fight so many times. I finally beat it by doing what felt like gaming the system to me: I realized that Tassik summons slimes at particular hit point cues, rather than on round-based cues. So I attacked him until he summoned slimes, then immediately stopped damaging him at all and focused on killing all the slimes. Once they were dead, I piled on Tassik again until he summoned more slimes. By steady healing and keeping all the damage concentrated on my tanks, I was able to survive.

Even doing this, which kept the slime numbers manageable until I could kill Tassik, I still almost got overwhelmed by the final wave of slimes and had to burn a couple rezz scrolls.