What is up with the boat animations?

I know we don't play Jeff's games for the graphics, but this is really starting to bug me. Jeff has done a lot of work on particle effects and walking animations, and it makes the game look nice. But then I get into a boat and find myself back in Avernum 1 circa 2001.

To see what I mean, get in a boat and travel the bank along Silvar and Cotra. See that nice, simple animation as the guards slide from one grid location to the next? You, on the other hand, teleport to the adjacent grid location with no animation in between. Why is my movement animated as a slide when I am on land, but not on the water?

The effect is even more jarring when you take a boat inside a town. In fact, I honestly think this would not be bothering me if the rest of the graphics had not received as much work.

It's funny. I play the game using the old movement style, so I didn't even notice this.

So… maybe having everything teleport between grid locations would make this less jarring for you tongue

I'm honestly surprised to hear this though. Since the character walking animations were done, having a ship slide (possibly without even using animated graphics) seems pretty easy to do. It was probably just an oversight.

Originally Posted By: Superba
Boats are a bit boring when they come to make curves, you point a space on the water and they stuck against a cliff. Nothing serious obviously, but this Avernum 6 minor bug was not fixed in Escape the Pit.
That annoyance dates back to Avernum 5, and I agree that it really should have been fixed. If the pathfinding for walking can avoid obstacles (but not towns apparently), the pathfinding for boats should as well.

The controls of the boat are also slightly unpleasant, not sure what's wrong, perhaps a lack of reactivity. Also the passage under the bridge seem disable coasting in places close to bridges where you could coast in Avernum, I haven't check.

That said despite the minor glitch the boats are a great feature of Avernum, so of AEFTP.

Originally Posted By: Vent
The controls of the boat are also slightly unpleasant, not sure what's wrong, perhaps a lack of reactivity. Also the passage under the bridge seem disable coasting in places close to bridges where you could coast in Avernum, I haven't check.

That said despite the minor glitch the boats are a great feature of Avernum, so of AEFTP.

*nods*

Not being able to dock your boat right next to a bridge is rather annoying, especially south of Formello. I didn't mind having a dialog like there was in it's predecessor.