hey there will be nethergate2?

• 2 months later...

Maybe there would be a story about the celts and faeries, where you are either a celt or faerie party yourself.

Quote:
Originally written by chicho:

hey im close to be a journeyman, horray for me!

You are going to be a Adept with about 27 more posts. You were a Journeyman before you got a Citzen of Exile, I´m now a Journeyman too. cool

I disagree without any humility whatsoever. Nethergate has Spiderweb's best plot, uses height very well, has a nice spell system and a very entertaining skill system, and has naked people painted blue and howling battle cries.

And there are faeries. With swords. And wands!

—Alorael, who simply can't understand not liking Nethergate unless you don't like Avernum either.

Quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus:
There really isn't a way to make a Nethergate 2. I mean, the story was pretty much final.
Nothing is final. Take this possible starting point for a 'Nethergate 2':
  • Vibius got killed by the four Celts.
  • The four Celts got pulled down by the remaining Roman soldiers.
  • Sylak got carved into itty bitty pieces by the four Romans.
  • The hundreds of sidhe coming to use the gate are enraged and kill the Roman soldiers.
  • The Celts plus their sidhe friends end up preparing to take the fight to the Romans.

Assuming that Rome ever learns of what happened: Rome and its legions are many miles away - it would take time for them to show up and wipe the sidhe out. This would explain why the sidhe could mount a guerilla warfare campaign.
Assuming that Rome never learns of what happened: The sidhe would be understandably ticked off, and out for the Roman's blood. Again, guerilla warfare.

Quote:
Originally written by Slith Lord:
Quote:
Originally written by chicho:
hey im close to be a journeyman, horray for me!
You are going to be a Adept with about 27 more posts. You were a Journeyman before you got a Citzen of Exile, I´m now a Journeyman too. cool
You obviously didn't notice that the post was made in September.

Quote:
Originally written by CPeters:
Meh. You can always mangle a game with multiple endings if you so desire. As long as you make it plausible.
Nethergate only has one ending, and it happens to be a very good ending. Anything trying to build on it would lessen the impact of the original.

Besides, there's the pesky problem of real history. Adding Shadowvale is one thing. Getting the entire might of the Roman Empire involved in a war with faeries is another.

—Alorael, who wonders whether any sidhe ended up in the vicinity of Avernum. Maybe tall, slender, gray-skinned, bug-eyed sidhe.

For the two parallel plots and the shameless inclusion of GIFTS, I love Nethergate. Generally, I'll take Avernum over Exile, although I much prefer Exile 3 over Avernum 3 (for the latter lacks 'scry monster', easily my favourite spell). Geneforge, though it is still wonderful, must be placed at the bottom due to the lack of Giant Intelligent Friendly Talking Spiders.

Anyways...

I agree that another Nethergate would be wonderful, but also feel that a Nethergate 2 would reduce the impact of the original. Why not a 'Nethergate 0', though? A prequel! (And then Nethergate -1, of course wink )

• 2 weeks later...
Quote:
Originally written by Inthrall:
I started off with Nethergate and slowly chewed my way up through the games. My favourite would be the Avernum series, because of GIFTS. I don't like Exile though, and I don't know why...

Probably due to the fact it crashes my computer every time I start it.
I feel the same way. After I played Avernum, I never went back to Exile. :p

• 4 weeks later...

Not to mention Jeff himself. He doesn't even know what some of the things are for anymore, like the puzzle box. I agree though. All the little mysteries of Nethergate were great. I'll always love that game, especially since it was my introduction to Spiderweb. The little things that seemed like they were important, but actually weren't were a nice touch. I'm pretty sure that the wishes fish had no purpose other than to confuse. All the Sylak items were cool, and the finding those elusive Nether Arts spells. Seriously, I will always consider Nethergate to be one of the best RPGs ever and certainly the best Spiderweb game.

Quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus:
Not to mention Jeff himself. He doesn't even know what some of the things are for anymore, like the puzzle box. I agree though. All the little mysteries of Nethergate were great. I'll always love that game, especially since it was my introduction to Spiderweb. The little things that seemed like they were important, but actually weren't were a nice touch. I'm pretty sure that the wishes fish had no purpose other than to confuse. All the Slylock items were cool, and the finding those elusive Nether Arts spells. Seriously, I will always consider Nethergate to be one of the best RPGs ever and certainly the best Spiderweb game.
Heh. Totally... Nethergate is one of my favorite RPG's, and one of my favorite games. I actually emailed Spiderweb awhile back, asking about nethergate 2. Jeff responed saying that it wasn't very likely. The mystery was the best part about nethergate... solving all of those puzzles to get to the Raven was so fun. That Raven also happens to be my favorite video game charecter of all time (next to Sephiroth and Link that is...) wink