Confronting Cahil

Bunny

Hi, I'm new to the forum, I'm playing Avadon for about a week and I'm realy amazed with the game. Well, everything went smoothly so far, but now I have a little dilema. I'm following Sevilin's quest and I finally found Cahil. He showed me some kind of pardon papers from Redbeard. Now I would like to know what are the consequences of killing him now (or not killing him), and will I be able to confront him later in the game if I let him go.

If you want justification, note that the papers say he has to stay out of Avadon's way or the deal's off. While it could be argued that Sevilin actually went to considerable trouble to track him down, that wasn't the case when you saw him in the Jhereth Deeps.

He was actively conspiring with enemies of the Pact, which is a new crime since the pardon. And a good enough reason by itself to bring him to what passes for justice.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Originally Posted By: The Turtle Moves
that wasn't the case when you saw him in the Jhereth Deeps.

Dikiyoba thought the pardon came after the party's encounter in the Jhereth Deeps.

Cahil shows you the pardon after that, but the events he was pardoned for were before that. My issue with that justification is that as soon as Hands showed up, Cahil and his people pulled out. He was only sticking with the job when it wasn't directly against Avadon. A bit of a grey area, for sure, and there are lots of opportunities in this game to lean to your preferred side of those greys.

Originally Posted By: Kreador
Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Originally Posted By: The Turtle Moves
that wasn't the case when you saw him in the Jhereth Deeps.

Dikiyoba thought the pardon came after the party's encounter in the Jhereth Deeps.

Cahil shows you the pardon after that, but the events he was pardoned for were before that. My issue with that justification is that as soon as Hands showed up, Cahil and his people pulled out. He was only sticking with the job when it wasn't directly against Avadon. A bit of a grey area, for sure, and there are lots of opportunities in this game to lean to your preferred side of those greys.

I think Diki has it right, actually. The story seems to suggest that first the encounter in Jhereth Deeps happened, then Cahil went and got his pardon, so it would cover whatever he was doing in the Deeps.

On the other hand, his men attacked you when you entered their White Plains hideout, which seems like it ought to void the pardon. Cahil's in command of them, so he's responsible for what they do.

• 2 weeks later...

It's the classic dilemma;

Do you pardon the little fish to hook the bigger one?

Is it right for the FBI to pardon an informant that local cops have nailed for murder, because he ratted out his bosses?

happens all the time.

greater good, and all.

that said, I'd still make the choice to whack Cahil (being Severin), and here's why:

JUST before you go on this mission, if you go upstairs and talk to Redbeard, he makes a big speech about how things are clear; there are enemies of Avadon, and Avadon (in context of asking you if he should accept a farlander tribe as an ally). And Avadon is family and look out for its own.

If confronted by Redbeard about killing Cahil, I'd simply toss those words right back in his face. "We were just lookin' out for family, boss."

Besides, Redbeard may have even known exactly what you were planning to do, which is why he made that little speech.

He ain't stupid.

That said... revenge is petty. personally, it seemed to me that Cahil was doing more good than harm where he was, and I probably would have let him go all things being equal.

but that's just me.

• 2 years later...

So this criminal ambushed and murdered hands. and seems to be a pretty cruel BLANK. I was gonna murder the !%#$! out of him what he for did to Sevillin no matter what. I was thinking, when he said "wait!", "don't care if you are my brother, don't care if redbeard told you too, don't care dont care..go BLANK yourself." cause my PC takes bribes and hunts people for money, but he has a code, and this guy is a brigand who murdered my friends friends who happen to be from avadon.

so redbeard gave him a pardon. who cares? we did not know that, so that means that most people did not know that. what my PC would have done when he found out the claw had a pardon if been in tabletop...kill him. the only people that are going to know we might have done it are the debtbound. I could slaughter them to a man, but that is not my style, not a baddie. So I go back to the debtbound and say "I have slaughtered cahil's men--all of them, to avenge what he has done. But he was a coward and escaped. If you see him, I have a bounty on his head." this would make people think cahil was alive and let the real secretive types who might know about the deal with redbeard think we did not break our pardon. the fact that cahil is not seen again...well people die in the wilderness. :)