A:EftP - Checking every day...

You got at least another week wait since Jeff hasn't started testing the installer and that's the last week of testing.

Also the Hint Book, but that doesn't take as long.

Jeff took a short break so he'll be rested up for all the mistakes that haven't shown up in beta testing.

Originally Posted By: eXtremeJeep
Do not feel bad, I have been doing the same. Shame there isnt a mailing list I could sign up for wink

There is a mailing list, but there is often a delay between the release of the game and when the email is sent out. Personally, I just watch the forums. The first forum-goer to see the game will surely post about it here.

Originally Posted By: Master1
Originally Posted By: eXtremeJeep
Do not feel bad, I have been doing the same. Shame there isnt a mailing list I could sign up for wink

There is a mailing list, but there is often a delay between the release of the game and when the email is sent out. Personally, I just watch the forums. The first forum-goer to see the game will surely post about it here.
I'm pretty sure he/she was kidding and knows about the mailing list, hence the wink

Nikki - A lot of us did that with Avadon, and I seem to remember a few mods scolding us for it.

All the mods said was please don't post links to or addresses for the FTP site, since last-minute changes sometimes ARE made, and the download should not be linked on the web until Spiderweb puts it up. Snoop all you like, Jeff's apparently fine with that.

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
It's going to get worse, because now in Mac, iPad, and then Windows version.

Jeff doesn't have a lot of competition in the iPad market. smile

Are you kidding me? So after mac then jeff will work on ipad, and then windows. What is the deal with windows users and jeff? We still are responsible for most if not all the sales both in future and past.

Jeff has given many reasons why he does Mac first. As I recall, he prefers Mac and writing for it. Alos, the Windows users are hardly "esponsible for most if not all the sales both in future and past." If Jeff only made 10% of his sales on Mac, he probably wouldn't do Mac first. I don't know if the figures have ever been released, but a good chunk of Jeff's market is on Mac.

At one time, it was about 50/50. In recent years, with the games showing up on other services, it's been skewed more towards PC purchases. I think Jeff said it was about 70/30 a couple years ago. I imagine that Avadon and the Geneforge games on Steam may have increased the number of PC users even more. However, there are definitely still a large number of Mac users in the SW fan base. Also, Jeff himself prefers to use Macs and does his coding on a Mac. It's easier for him to code for Macs and port to other OSes than the other way around. As for porting to iPad first, iOS coding is much more similar to OS X coding than Windows coding is, so it's much easier to do that port first and get it out of the way.

Originally Posted By: FnordCola
I'm more a twice a week kind of guy, m'self.

You're taking a chance that many other players will get started ahead of you! grin
Glad to hear you have such self-control.
I don't see myself having lots of time to play it to the extent I would normally get pulled into one of Jeff's games. But I'm excited to see what he's done to improve the series, and it's true that the Avernum 1-3 don't run on OSX Lion.

Originally Posted By: Structualise THIS!
Amateurs If you really couldn't wait, you'd be checking the FTP site - the demo usually goes up on there before its officially released.

Hey! For Avadon I remember a poster telling us what FTP site it was posted on, and I got it a day or two early. Do you know what it will be?

Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S
Nikki - A lot of us did that with Avadon, and I seem to remember a few mods scolding us for it.

All the mods said was please don't post links to or addresses for the FTP site, since last-minute changes sometimes ARE made, and the download should not be linked on the web until Spiderweb puts it up. Snoop all you like, Jeff's apparently fine with that.

The iPad version probably comes before the Windows version because OS X and iOS have a lot in common under the hood. I doubt it will delay the Windows version much.

I am curious to see how this will work with Steam: is Steam willing to release the Mac version first and the PC version later?

• 2 weeks later...

Just a reminder, even when something appears on the FTP, please do not put up a link to it on the forums until Jeff announces it publicly. The reason is that it's not released until Jeff says so, and we don't want bugged copies in the unlikely event the initial FTP version gets corrupted or bugged in some way. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: *i
Just a reminder, even when something appears on the FTP, please do not put up a link to it on the forums until Jeff announces it publicly. The reason is that it's not released until Jeff says so, and we don't want bugged copies in the unlikely event the initial FTP version gets corrupted or bugged in some way. Thanks!

now where did I see that somewhat recently.

Originally Posted By: *i
In my opinion, it is better to wait for a game that won't be bugged or corrupted, than get a game early only to find that it is so horrifyingly bugged that it is nearly unplayable. I'm looking at you, Skyrim.