What Are You Watching Recently?

Actaeon

If there is a topic like this on Spiderweb, my search skills are not up to the task of locating it. I'd like to hear what the community is watching on TV and in the cinema. This is partially out of curiosity, and partially because my Netflix instant cue is running dry.

(My favorite movie of the year, so far, was "Midnight in Paris". I have not watched any new shows, but have been following the new season of Futurama.)

Haven't been watching much in the way of films. At all. Mostly just films that happen to come on the TV.

As for television, there's only three shows I watch on a regular basis: NCIS, NCIS:LA, and Person of Interest. Sometimes The Big Bang Theory as well, but that's only on a semi-regular basis.

(Also, there's late-night runs of Stargate Atlantis going on the weekends, which I've been watching as well).

I don't watch many movies. Pretty picky about that sort of thing. As for TV shows there's NCIS, Sanctuary, White Collar, Burn Notice, Warehouse 13, Eurika, and now Alphas. So, yeah, guess I watch a lot of TV.

Originally Posted By: Nioca
Also, there's late-night runs of Stargate Atlantis going on the weekends, which I've been watching as well
Now there is a fine choice in TV viewing. I'm still sad Stargate Universe didn't live up to the standards of the first two series. frown

The last TV show I watched was Battlestar Galactica, and it's also the only TV show I've watched on an actual TV and the only thing with at least one full season that I've watched from beginning to end. (Notice how I carefully excluded Firefly there?)

—Alorael, who at this point doesn't own a TV. He also has no subscriptions to any of the various streaming services. He hasn't gone in a movie theater in well over a year. He may be culturally deficient.

Originally Posted By: B.J.Earles
I'm still sad Stargate Universe didn't live up to the standards of the first two series. frown
I personally feel that SGU got better as the series progressed, and the last half of the second season, which aired after the show had already been canceled was superb. It's very sad, really. I watch the following shows still in production: The Big Bang Theory, Boardwalk Empire, Bones, The Colbert Report, CSI, Californication, Castle, Community, The Daily Show, Doc Martin, Doctor Who, Downton Abbey, Eureka, Fringe, Futurama, Game of Thrones, Harry's Law, House, How I Met Your Mother, Hustle, Leverage, Mad Men, NCIS, Royal Pains, Sherlock, The Simpsons, Sons of Anarchy, Terra Nova, Top Gear, Treme, Venture Brothers, Warehouse 13, and The Walking Dead.

Originally Posted By: Tyranicus
I personally feel that SGU got better as the series progressed, and the last half of the second season, which aired after the show had already been canceled was superb. It's very sad, really.
I agree with you there. The series had some pretty good moments. I just got the feeling that it was trying to hard to be Battlestar Galactica (a show I personally did not like, but that's another post), so it was missing a lot of the charm that SG1 and Atlantis had.

Edit: *facepalm* I completely forgot about Doctor Who and Leverage, and those are two of my favorite shows too.

Originally Posted By: Gone Phishing
...the only thing with at least one full season that I've watched from beginning to end. (Notice how I carefully excluded Firefly there?)

Firefly isn't the only partial season worth watching. "New Amsterdam" happens to be my personal favorite.

Alphabetical order, Tyran? That's quite a list you've got there, and it includes pretty much every still running show I pay attention to, plus several I gave up on. I am limited, however, by my reliance on Hulu, which doesn't carry HBO (for instance) and Netflix, which is often late to the game on things like BBC (I will probably use iTunes to keep up with Sherlock).

Er, for shows still running, I watch Doctor Who, Community, and Never Mind The Buzzcocks (if I remember that it's on).

I attend the cinema sporadically; the last movie I watched there was Midnight in Paris, and before that Arrietty. I need to go again soon to see The Rum Diary, seeing how it's one of my favourite books.

Terra Nova (although it hasn't been worth it), Castle, Big Bang Theory, Person of Interest, The Mentalist, Community, The Office, Chuck, Grimm, The Simpsons, Once Upon a Time, and occasional reruns of the Stargate series.

Since I don't have cable I'm waiting for the summer DVD releases of Psych, Burn Notice, White Collar, Covert Affairs, and Warehouse 13.

Mostly I pick up DVD sets of old TV series like The Adventurers of Brisco County, Jr., Quark, Get Smart, and a few movies I never get time to see in the theaters since they no longer get on commercial television a few years later.

I am a History Channel nut. The only thing I won't watch on History is Ancient Aliens. I love Brad Meltzer's Decoded, Pawn Stars, American Pickers, American Restoration, Ice Road Truckers and many of its other segments.

I also love the Discovery Channel. Who can argue with great shows like Mythbusters, American Chopper, Auction Kings, Man vs Wild, Dirty Jobs and Deadliest Catch.

Other than those channels I might watch a few shows on NBC like Chuck, The Office, Harry's Law and Saturday Night Live.

My favorite TV show is Last of the Summer Wine that comes on Public TV at 10:30 Central Time.

I also watch the occasional movie now and then. I've seen Love and Other Drugs, both parts to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, and Green Hornet.

Other shows include WWE Raw and Smackdown, House, NCIS, Psych, and Ghost Adventures.

Post #635 cool

Originally Posted By: Gone Phishing
, who at this point doesn't own a TV. He also has no subscriptions to any of the various streaming services. He hasn't gone in a movie theater in well over a year. He may be culturally deficient.

This. Actually, I do own a TV, but it's not hooked up to anything other than a PS2, and that's mainly to play a DVD about once every 3 months. Also, I went to a movie theater in just under a year, but that was for Julie Taymor, and I was not pleased.

The only thing I really miss is The People's Court.

Last year I had a TV. And cable, too—it was cheaper to pay for internet bundled with basic cable than internet alone. The TV was smaller than my laptop's monitor, though, so I still used it for DVDs.

—Alorael, who also found a not obviously broken TV by the side of the road two years ago. He took it home, and found that it worked intermittently, so he had it properly disposed. Then last year he found another TV, and again took it home out of curiosity and found that it worked perfectly, although finding adapters for a very old TV is not particularly entertaining. Fortunately, it wasn't his problem: he got to give a friend a medium-screen TV as a Hanukkah present.

I'm also one of those people who barely watch TV. Although I do follow some shows on my computer, I don't usually sit down in front of the big showbox.

I just finished the seventh season of House. Other than that, I don't really follow faithfully anything. I've got some Simpsons saved up and a bunch of a movies I'm supposed to watch whenever I feel like it. And I've been thinking I might try to check out Supernatural - I've heard good things about it. Otherwise I might be interested in various interior decoration stuff or a food show... Maybe even fashion if I'm totally bored. (and whenever the second season of Sherlock comes, I'll totally watch those.)

I was going to say I don't know how many years it's been since I've been to a movie theater, but then I remembered I went to see the fourth PotC movie this summer with my family. Nearly forgot about it, even though I kind of liked it.

Things I've streamed on Netflix recently:

• The IT Crowd
  • Dead Like Me
  • Doc Martin
  • George Gently
  • The Catherine Tate Show
  • Battlestar Galactica
  • The Worst Week of My Life
  • Head Case
  • Important Things with Demetri Martin

On the rectangular fireplace of video, I watch:

• The Walking Dead
  • Breaking Bad
  • Mad Men
  • Dexter
  • The Big Bang Theory
  • The Closer
  • Fringe
  • 30 Rock
  • Curb Your Enthusiasm
  • True Blood
  • The Daily Show/Colbert hour
  • Keith Olbermann
  • Rachel Maddow
  • NCAA Football and Basketball

Classic TV that is recommended:

• Homicide: Life on the Streets
  • The Wire
  • Flight of the Conchords
  • Six Feet Under
  • Dead Like Me
  • St. Elsewhere
  • Twilight Zone
  • Get Smart
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation

I am a child of the television age.

Originally Posted By: Arch-Mage Solberg
I am a History Channel nut. The only thing I won't watch on History is Ancient Aliens. I love Brad Meltzer's Decoded, Pawn Stars, American Pickers, American Restoration, Ice Road Truckers and many of its other segments.

I used to be a fan of the History Channel... But what happened to the history? Aliens and ice road truckers do not a history class make.

The only program I watch regularly is Letters and Numbers (Lily is so gorgeous and smart). Nearly all of the programs I enjoy are finished for the year e.g. Media Watch, Time Team (U.K.), Restoration Man and, sadly, the Rugby League. The Circle and Insiders are worth checking in for occasionally.

The cricket starts next week so my televisual diet will be an overly heaped platter for the summer.

Originally Posted By: waterplant
The only program I watch regularly is Letters and Numbers (Lily is so gorgeous and smart). Nearly all of the programs I enjoy are finished for the year e.g. Media Watch, Time Team (U.K.), Restoration Man and, sadly, the Rugby League. The Circle and Insiders are worth checking in for occasionally.

The cricket starts next week so my televisual diet will be an overly heaped platter for the summer.

I hardly ever watch tv, but I used to watch Letters and Numbers a fair bit. And what's so sad about watching the League, apart from the last grand final?

Originally Posted By: Goldenking
Originally Posted By: Arch-Mage Solberg

I used to be a fan of the History Channel... But what happened to the history? Aliens and ice road truckers do not a history class make.

They still do Nazi stuff. And some on drugs. And Charles Manson. And they have like a three hour special on the history of sex.

Originally Posted By: Cairo Jim
Originally Posted By: waterplant

I hardly ever watch tv, but I used to watch Letters and Numbers a fair bit. And what's so sad about watching the League, apart from the last grand final?

Sad that the season is finished, I mean.

I think I'm down to CSI and Kitchen Nightmares for the current season. I'll probably check in on Bones occasionally to see if the writers can turn around the mess of the past few seasons (and hey, gruesome dead bodies). I watched a few episodes of Terra Nova and Big Bang but gave up because they sucked.

Dikiyoba also watched Requiem for a Dream as part of a school assignment recently.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
I think I'm down to CSI and Kitchen Nightmares for the current season. I'll probably check in on Bones occasionally to see if the writers can turn around the mess of the past few seasons (and hey, gruesome dead bodies). I watched a few episodes of Terra Nova and Big Bang but gave up because they sucked.

Dikiyoba also watched Requiem for a Dream as part of a school assignment recently.

I liked Requiem for a Dream when I rented it from Netflix. Quite a realistic depiction of addiction. The unrated version has a graphic scene of two women debasing themselves to score a small bag of heroin each. Even without that scene, the movie excels at showing the "downward spiral". The film will certainly make the average person swear off hard drugs for life.

Requiem for a Dream is number one on my crushing movie list. It's a great film, and I'm glad I've seen it, but I wouldn't want to watch it again.

—Alorael, who notes that the movie has two morals, neither particularly disputed: "don't do drugs" and "call your mother." Requiem for a Dream is just very good at presenting the case.

Originally Posted By: Alorael
"don't do drugs"

Eh, I'll dispute that. It's too simple. Requiem for a Dream is about all forms of addiction. The mother wouldn't have ended up on drugs if not for her TV addiction, and there's a pretty obvious conversation between a couple of gambling addicts. And given that virtually all forms of authority (doctors, nurses, therapists, police, prison guards, and the drug lords and television production company if you want to stretch) are corrupt, it's obviously trying to say something about society as a whole.

Originally Posted By: Soul of Wit
The unrated version has a graphic scene of two women debasing themselves to score a small bag of heroin each.

Given how often Marion has sex for heroin or money to buy heroin in the rated version, that scene seems redundant.

Dikiyoba.

Oh, sure, you can add complexity to the movie, but this is America and we have the right to simplify as much as possible.

—Alorael, who could also broaden Requiem for a Dream to a movie about the mistakes people make and the attention they don't pay. Not as catchy a tagline, though.

I don't watch nearly as much TV as I used to. The only shows I really watch on a regular basis are House, the Daily Show with Jon Stewart, and Modern Family. I sometimes watch SNL, Family Guy, or South Park.

Also, for some reason I went along with my friends to go Black Friday shopping and I got the whole Lord of the Rings trilogy on DVD for six dollars.

Originally Posted By: Structualise THIS!
Originally Posted By: Excalibur
Modern Family..

I'm pretty close to not watching anymore - this season is just not nearly as funny as the second, and even that was very hit and miss.

I agree that the second season was better. I guess I watch shows more out of habit than anything.

Originally Posted By: Actaeon
Originally Posted By: Excalibur
...I got the whole Lord of the Rings trilogy on DVD for six dollars.

Theatrical or extended?

Both: the DVDs let you choose.

I currently watch:

The Big Bang Theory

Boardwalk Empire

Breaking Bad

Community

Dexter

Game of Thrones

How I Met Your Mother

Misfits

Once upon a time

South Park

The Walking Dead

Plus re-runs of The Wire and The West Wing whenever I'm in the mood.

I'm seriously considering dropping The Big Bang Theory, Dexter, and The Walking Dead though. All three just refuse to go anywhere story-wise within a decent time frame. Well to be fair, things do go somewhere with Dexter, but it just resets at the end of each season which is even worse.

You should give Breaking Bad a try, Thad. It's seriously awesome.

I haven't watched any TV to speak of since CNN headline news ran a story about blue M&Ms. That was about ten years ago now, and I hadn't watched much for some years before that.

It's not that I despise TV content particularly. There's a few series I'm thinking of picking up on video some day. It's the format I can't stand. I'm busy enough now that I am just not willing to give up my entertainment time to someone else's pacing. If I can't flip forward or scroll down, forget it. Commercials are an absolute deal-breaker.

Many of the people I know who watch TV do so with a minimum of attention paid, even when it's in a commercial-free format. They'll watch while knitting, grading, writing, cooking, or studying. I have to imagine it lessens both the TV comprehension and the output in whatever the second activity is, but it's a way to put things together.

—Alorael, who is willing to accept someone else's pacing if he has convenient blocks of time of the right size, at least in theory. In practice, he's more likely to do something else.