Avadon Medals

jpjones2

I recently completed Avadon on "Normal" and , during the course of the game, acquired many Medals. Since I now understand how to play this game a lot better, I wanted to try again on "Hard" and build my party differently. I started a new game, with a new character, and have just left Avadon for Goldcrag for the 1st time. All of the party members are only on Level 3. When I went to the title screen and checked on my Medals (expecting that it would be empty), all of the Medals from the previous game were still showing. I want to start with a "clean slate", as I would expect would be the case when someone starts a "New Game". How can I get rid of the previously won medals? Thank you for your help.

JP

I don't think it's possible to remove medals without unregistering your game. If it's important to you to do so, you can delete your game preferences and re-register, and that should take care of medals. We can give more specific advice on finding the preferences if you need it, but you'll have to give us the operating system you're using.

—Alorael, who doesn't really understand what the problem with having all your medals filled out already is. But then, he doesn't really care about medals at all.

From your hard disk, go to Users, then your user account, then Library, then Preferences. It'll be called "Avadon Settings", so you can also do a search for that.

So Users/[username]/Library/Preferences/Avadon Settings

—Alorael, who hopes this helps. And he's not sure about the search, since he can't get it to work for him unless he explicitly searches from the location of the file. That's not quite a search.

Actually, you can't search for the settings. A few systems ago, Apple decided that we shouldn't be able to search for files in libraries. This really sucks for those of us who like to fully delete games from our computers. You have to hunt down all of the support and settings files for the game in the library which, admittedly, isn't hard. It's just a little harder than it used to be.

That explains a lot of things I haven't been able to find. It's also incredibly irritating and paternalistic of Apple to decide that users don't want to search some things and provide no way to change the exclusions.

—Alorael, who doesn't know what he would do if Mac OS became as prone to crippling users in the name of user-friendliness and security as some versions of Windows. Switch to Linux, maybe? Or maybe go back to abacus and slide rule.

I guess Jeff hasn't put thought into let his players have multiple accounts on the same computer. It's doable, if you want to keep moving settings files. It's just not built in.

—Alorael, who isn't sure how else to give directions to the file you want. You're not finding the Avadon preferences in the directory described?

Avadon is the first game to have medals, in earlier games it really wasn't an issue apart from sharing saved slots (and even in Geneforge 1-2 with only 14 save slots my household at the time still managed to share among 3 different players!)

For newer games, on Windows anyway, the saves etc are stored in the "Documents" folder specific to each windows user, so if your household uses separate logins then there is not a problem. Don't know whether this is the same on Macintosh.

Originally Posted By: jpjones2
Where an how can I find these files?

Originally Posted By: I stab it with my mace!
From your hard disk, go to Users, then your user account, then Library, then Preferences. It'll be called "Avadon Settings", so you can also do a search for that.

Double click the hard drive icon on your desktop. Look in the "favorites" section of the left menu for whatever folder has a house icon and your username as the name. From there, open the folder called Library. Then the folder Preferences. One of the first files (if you're in alphabetical) should be titled Avadon Settings. This keeps all of your play settings and medals, as well as your registration.

Originally Posted By: Master1
Originally Posted By: jpjones2
Where an how can I find these files?

Originally Posted By: I stab it with my mace!

Double click the hard drive icon on your desktop. Look in the "favorites" section of the left menu for whatever folder has a house icon and your username as the name. From there, open the folder called Library. Then the folder Preferences. One of the first files (if you're in alphabetical) should be titled Avadon Settings. This keeps all of your play settings and medals, as well as your registration.

If you're on Lion you won't see the Library folder there. Instead, click on Finder and in the menu select Go and press the ALT key. Then select Library from the menu and continue.

Um. I am on Lion. And that is the library you want. There are three different libraries on your computer. You want the user library.

So I checked, and you're right also. That does bring you to the user library.

Oh. I think that, as soon as I switched to Lion, I went into Terminal and turned off the hiding of the library. Yeah, I don't like Apple babying me.