2-3 Games Played at Once

Death Knight

My current endeavors are:

1. Completing on major database/application upgrade,

2. Beginning another minor database upgrade, but with an overloaded tester dragging down the project,

3. Implementing a new tool set to diagnose and solve performance tuning problems

4. Upgrading an Enterprise Database Management system.

5. Re-researching a significant patch update to a third database/application,

6. Beginning research on a major database reorganization on the previously mentioned database in preparation for another major upgrade looming on the horizon,

7. Re-supporting an application I had been shed of for 15 years and have now re-acquired due to the retirement of one programmer

8. Learning another new programming tool to rebuild the just mentioned legacy system.

9. And for dessert, I have begun to chart Exile III. No annotations on the first pass, just graphics.

And who says DBA's don't have any fun.

BTW, This is not complaining, this is anticipation of challenges to conquer. Each task on my todo list is like a game, where the vendor tries to make the process as difficult and convoluted as possible, and I get to thread my way through an Avernum of documentation, looking for the solutions to the puzzles that block my access to final victory.

Did I forget to mention, I enjoy the challenge. And when it comes to getting back into my old application, I absolutely love it. I have actual customers, people outside my department, that I can solve problems for. when I can turn someones frown of frustration to a smile of relief with a few clicks on a keyboard, that is instant gratification. When I became a DBA I lost that.

Books count just as much as games, and in fact are even moreso as reading multiple books, and knowing what is happening in both is difficult. At least for me smile

The best books are the ones that you really dont want to end. The ones i rush through are usually because i am waiting for it to get good.

I have a somewhat opposite response. If I like a book, I may read it quickly or slowly. If I'm impressed by the cleverness of the book, I'm more likely to rush through it to see what well-crafted twists and turns come next. Books that maintain a high level of tension throughout also tend to go faster.

—Alorael, who rarely reads more than one book at a time. Picking up a second book is a good sign that he feels obligated to finish the first but isn't really enjoying it, and there are times when it gets put down permanently. Games are different, and while he'll usually play only one game with a plot at a time, that can mix with any number of non-plot games. Angband and Alpha Centauri are common here, and he'll have to figure out how to get the latter running when he switches to Lion.

I try to finish a book before starting another, but often that's not possible considering the amount of reading and rereading I do.

If I'm reading purely for myself, again, I try to finish a book before starting another (and I, too, will rush through better books, whilst dawdling with others), but not always; I might have a bit of lighter reading before bed, and something heavier going in the day, for instance.

For me it very much depends on the game, or the book. The more detail-oriented or complex the plot, the more likely I am to restart a game or reread a book. Losing pieces doesn't make much of a difference in a rollicking adventure, but it can ruin a good brick joke.

—Alorael, who finds that this also has an interesting effect on his ability to enjoy rereading. He actually likes rereading in general, but some books are improved by it and some books aren't as good. He doesn't find that twist endings often make the reading lose value. Instead, it's often the presence of important details that can be forgotten and rediscovered that still gives the reading some excitement.