Avernum 6 - Lord Farrar and his palace guards - Bug?

Brocktree

I've decided to have another go at completing A6 (my previous run through was interrupted by... life), and I've stumbled on something annoying that also happened in my last playthrough. The first time I meet Lord Farrar, I'm as diplomatic as possible. He then retreats to the back of his keep. Hostile soldiers from the back of his keep then attack the friendly soldiers in his throne room. Usually they then spread out into the main area of town, sight me, and raise the alarm. Then the entire town turns hostile.

Is this a bug? I'm running v1.0 on the PC, so I guess it could be. But the v1.1 patch makes no mention of correcting this.

I checked prior to Farrar going to the back of his keep, and the soldiers are set as hostile *beforehand*. I think one of the soldiers from the back of the keep might have their path displaced when Farrar gets in their way when he retires. They venture into the sight of a friendly soldier, and a fight ensues. If you're unlucky enough to get in their line of vision, they shout the alarm.

The way I dealt with it was to stay out of sight while healing the friendly soldiers, until the wandering hostile guard was killed.