Geneforge series now on Steam!

Due to complicated technical reasons, we are unable to put the Mac Geneforge games on Steam. Sorry about that. We know it sucks.

(Short explanation for the tech-savvy: Their system cannot handle Macintosh files with resource forks, and our older games are full of those. It would take a ton of reworking to get them to work, and we don't have time.)

- Jeff Vogel

Originally Posted By: Nelzoma
Why is The entire Geneforge series the same price as just Geneforge 5?

That confused me too, but it's actually not. You can't buy the games separately, just as a bundle. So if you buy one, you get them all. But for some reason steam originally listed them individually on the store front, which was kind of confusing.

I think? I've played all of these but I will certainly buy them again. Gotta catch em all...

I've been shilling for these games to all my friends for so many years, happy to see that they can reach a wider audience now. Congratulations on that Mr. Vogel, I grew up playing your games and it really does put a genuine smile on my face to see your continued success.

Originally Posted By: Thirsting Gemstone
I love you and your games Jeff, and I understand the reasoning, but I still wish you could put them on the mac for steam....
But nah, not like Mac users were your original fanbase or nothing.

He did say why he can't do it. And we Mac users still get the first release for new games, and they'll come out on Steam as well.

—Alorael, who doesn't really think Spiderweb is the right company to accuse of lacking Mac support. Steam and Apple's rapid technology changes are the real culprits, and both have good reasons of their own. Mostly, it's bad luck.

Originally Posted By: ubrgeek
I feel like an idiot. I didn't notice the Windows-only fact until after I purchased the games and got the error message that it wasn't playable on my system. Would have loved Steam to have made it obvious (and/or have a better return policy :()

Steam really won't return your money if you accidentally purchased a game for the wrong OS? Geez.

Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S
I feel like an idiot. I didn't notice the Windows-only fact until after I purchased the games and got the error message that it wasn't playable on my system. Would have loved Steam to have made it obvious (and/or have a better return policy :()

Steam really won't return your money if you accidentally purchased a game for the wrong OS? Geez.

Usually they will - they often have a one-time "gimme" for mistakes like this.

Originally Posted By: Krues8dr
So, for us Mac users - is it possible to purchase the game through Steam, and get a registration code to unlock the demo downloaded from the spiderweb site?

No, but you should be able to use the same saves.

—Alorael, who wouldn't want to rely on Wine to run Steam and then Geneforge. It might be workable, but it isn't exactly optimal.

Originally Posted By: Juan Carlo
If they won't refund you, there are windows emulators you can use to run windows games on a Mac. I've never used it, but I hear Wine is the most popular. Plus, it's free:

http://www.winehq.org/

The issue is that the game already runs on Mac perfectly well, just not through Steam. No need for Wine, really.

Just picked up Geneforge on steam and am enjoying it very much so far.

Although I've made some poor stat allocating decisions I was hoping to rectify with an editor. It seems the only Editor I can find (Croikle's) is no longer hosted at the listed website.

I don't suppose anyone would mind uploading it somewhere for the newcomers?

Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S

Hope I'm not getting off-topic but it does seem like it'd nicer of them to provide some kind of warning if the computer you're on can't run the game for really obvious reasons.

Originally Posted By: gingerbill
to be honest i don't think you can blame steam , it has requirements listed and mac is not listed.

Not blaming Steam, saying if we buy a product without noticing the tiny marker that tells us that our computer is completely unable to run a product it'd be nice if they gave us more leeway for mistakes.

Originally Posted By: Bushwhacker2k
Originally Posted By: gingerbill
to be honest i don't think you can blame steam , it has requirements listed and mac is not listed.

Not blaming Steam, saying if we buy a product without noticing the tiny marker that tells us that our computer is completely unable to run a product it'd be nice if they gave us more leeway for mistakes.

We're definitely in the weeds now, but I agree wholeheartedly. They let you go so far as to purchase, download, and install a game - only to find out when you *run* it that your platform isn't supported. (Found this out with Portal, Torchlight, and Cogs under 10.5.8.) It's a total bait-and-switch. But as I mentioned previously, they usually give you one "gimme" where they refund your money if you bought something that won't run.

Guess I am in the same boat as many of others, I saw that the games were sold on steam and instantly hit the buy button relying on that the game is bundled for both mac and windows. And then after buying it noticed that only Windows was supported.

There were two problems I guess

First I did not read the fineprint this time given that Geneforge came out on the Mac first

Secondly. Steam should give a clearer warning before buying it relying on the platform you use for your client.

Whatever, 16 bucks as donation to Spiderweb is worth it I guess, either way it would be nice to get unlock codes for the mac, but I am not angry if we wont.

• 2 weeks later...