Should Nethergate 2 come out after A4 and BOG?

May God and all his Divine Host of Angels forbid that Nethergate is ever sullied by a sequel. It is inherently a stand-alone work. A sequel would only muddy the crystal-clear waters and cheapen what is Jeff Vogel's finest work to date.

I like having Avernum and Geneforge sequels flying out the wazoo like foam-soaked donkeys, but Nethergate was so different than anything else he's done, and it should remain unique.

...And no, I'm not sure what "flying out the wazoo like foam-soaked donkeys" means exactly. But you get the idea.

EDIT: I would write a lengthy and passionate argument for my objections, but I'm pressed for time. Lost starts in ten minutes, and I have to go to bed right afterwards because I have to awaken myself at the Hour of Beelzebub (7 am) for a trip tomorrow, and will be gone for four days. And so slips by another Golden Opportunity for Icshi to wax eloquent on a burning topic close to his heart.

The end of Nethergate really makes a sequel impossible, but more games in the same style would be quite possible. There have been topics about it before suggesting how such a game could be set in early colonial America, in Egypt, in medieval Europe, and so on.

—Alorael, who doesn't see how more Celt and Roman games could build on Nethergate. A prequel would be awkward since the end couldn't be quite as earth-shattering, a simultaneous plot wouldn't make sense, and as he already noted, a sequel is impossible.

Arcanum was pretty good (hated the last part, though). I liked Divine Divinity far more than I thought I would. Planescape (that's not that recent, though). Knights of the Old Republic, the first, the second just wasn't as good, and I hope Obsidian makes something better in the future.

What do you think?

(I hope Dungeon Lords is good. Wizards and Warriors just wasn't.)

Really, Spiderweb has the best RPGs ever.

Though they may be limited by crappy 2-d stuff, it's the most similar to classic D&D. This is what I think they were going for.

I simply haven't seen any RPG that could compare as far as depth goes with any of Spiderweb's Avernum or Exile games.

They're all mundane click, fight, get gold. No special encounters to speak of.

If someone really wanted to make an excellent RPG, they should make one in the style of Avernum/Nethergate, but in 3D and sudo-real time (things act without you having to act). They'd have to work out a better system for special encounters, because a text box that tells you what you can already see is dumb. Maybe make a breif cutscene that you can direct in the editor(if there was one).

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't mind a Nethergate 2, but it shouldn't be a sequel to the original (not directly, anyways).

I noted this a while ago, and I think someone else said it too, but maybe N2 should take place sometime during the Dark Ages or Mideval era. If the first, we could have Vikings versus Byzantines. If the second, we could have Crusaders on Crusade...

To be honest though, I don't think Jeff will ever get the time to make another NETHERGATE. He's starting A4 after releasing G3 for WIN, so it will be at least another year before he's free to make another game. And by then, he'll probably have come up with a much better system.

- Archmagi Micael