Best puns and jokes.

Trenton.

Originally Posted By: Harehunter
Did you hear about the music major who was advised to change his major to computer science?
Click to reveal..
It turned out that his Bach was worse than his byte.

OK, that may be a little on the weak side.
Yeah, I've heard aversion or two of that pun in my day.

@The Mystic; I do get grounded from time to thyme, which is why this thread was opened; so that I don't pollute more sirrus discussions with inane barking.
Inane barking? Surely you can't be Sirius!

@The Mystic,

Oops. I got confused between my astronomy and my meteorology, and ended up clouding my dog star.

But cirrusly folks, I really can't help seeing plays on words in every day context. At work, it is not only tolerated, but expected. Here, I resort to venting my wit on this thread because when I happen to wax witting on the forums where people are trying to discuss matter seriously, I foul the stream, and get the others justifiably irritated.

I think I may have mentioned this before, but I believe I inherited my dad's sense of humor. When he and I got together, everyone else would leave the room and "Shut the door".

I was going to be mad, but you gave me such a great opening for my own joke that I'll take it.

Also, SMBC.

—Alorael, who can think of many periodic table puns. The problem is that as they get larger and more complex, they usually lose the ability to stay entertaining for very long. He's hypothesized that there's a later sweet spot where they're long and meaty enough to be really satisfying and hilarious, but he hasn't figured out what those puns are yet.

@ Dantius re the Genre thread.

Originally Posted By: Dantius
Wait, what? 91% of the options under "music" cover the junk current tastes of musical genres that haven't even been around for a century, and the every single prior Western musical composition that was ever made anywhere before ~1900 gets subsumed into a single category? I mean, at least break it up into "baroque/classical/romantic" if you're going to do that, instead of forcing those of us with taste to all huddle in a single category filled with subgenres of stuff many of us don't even like in the first place!

Click to reveal.. ("Bad Rabbit")
I watched a romantic movie about a classical musician, but it baroque my heart.

I cannot resist the pun, but I dare not post it on a serious topic for fear of retribution

The Harehunter hastily hied himself to his hidden hideaway,

a hovel of a hutch, a hollow that had been hurriedly hewn horizontally into a hill, hardly a homey haven, but where he could humbly hide from the howling horde that would have happily had his hide hung from the house for his hapless horsing around.

@ Aloreal-

Apparently the community agrees with your assessment that carefully crafted word play can be deemed humorous, but the hit and pun tactic is considered more obnoxious; or is just plain noxious?

As for the alliterated allegory above, it is just a mind exercise to see how far one can go and still make some semblance of sense. I have zero talent for poetry, so I substitute with this.

It sure beats humming

"We all live in a yellow submarine,

a yellow submarine,

a yellow submarine...." for a whole morning. Sadly this often turns into

"They call me mellow yellow..."

@Randomizer, The Ratt, Acteon, and Golden King;

I doff my cap to you.

(doublepost because I'm cool like that)

From Ligrev's Lounge:

Quote:

(21:36:08) Sylae: hey rowen

(21:36:15) Sylae: do you like canoeing or rafting

[...]

(21:36:40) Rowen: Canoeing is amazing.

(21:36:50) Sylae: i was wondering

(21:37:00) Sylae: because I bet you're good at Rowen

Originally Posted By: Sylae
(doublepost because I'm cool like that)

From Ligrev's Lounge:

Quote:

(21:36:08) Sylae: hey rowen
(21:36:15) Sylae: do you like canoeing or rafting
[...]
(21:36:40) Rowen: Canoeing is amazing.
(21:36:50) Sylae: i was wondering
(21:37:00) Sylae: because I bet you're good at Rowen

I can canoe, can'ue?
I just can't can-can.

! W A R N I N G ! ! W A R N I N G !

Toxic pun spill ahead. Proceed with caution.

(I'd turn back if I were you.)

Click to reveal.. (Don't say I didn't warn you.)

Periodically Speaking.

Yb sad, B glad, LiFe IS Gd.

Germaniums come from Europium.

They had a couple of wars with the Francium.

Scandium is a country just to the north of them.

Wait until the Wolframs Argon.

Those aren't Wolframs, they're Rhodium Ridgebacks.

Tonto was a famous Americium Indium.

Quebec lies just across the Lawrencium River.

E.T. Chrome home!

Who ate the last cookie? Carbonate it.

I only got Hafnium.

The hurricane winds made the Seaborgium quite Terbium.

Now sift the flourine to the bowl.

When I am hungry, Iodine.

That rabbit is a real Cadmium.

Loan guppies just charge an Aurum.

Is'nt that Vanadium White of Wheel of Fortune?

Gary Burghoff played Radon O'Reilly on MASH.

He graduated from the University of Californium, Berkelium.

Xenon, Warrior Princess.

She wielded a mean Samarium sword.

Copernicium had stars in his eyes.

Einsteinium had a theory for which he was awarded a Nobelium Prize.

I just want to keep my feet on terra Fermium.

Oh I'm going to Californium with a banjo on my knee.

Oh, the Gallium of that rabbit.

He's skating on Tin ice now.

I'll bet you'll be Gadolinium when this ends.

To prevent database crashes, a DBA must be Proactinium.

A punster in prison is a Silicon.

This list of puns is a Titanium effort.

It may be too Technetium for some to follow.

I hope I am not too Borhium.

The weight of 2000 lbs of cows tongue is a Tungston.

Sulfer as I can tell, these puns Zinc so bad we need to barium.

Maybe Marie CaN Curium.

"Nothing can Helium of this sickness."

Arrest that rabbit! Cesium!

Don't fall into the rabbit Holmium.

You just Uranium off.

Thus endith Actinium I.

B'duh, b'duh, b'duh, That's Thallium, folks.

This is Harehunter's brain gone a rye.

There is a grain of truth in that.

C sharp or B flat.

And on those notes, Harehunter has left the building.

I'm sure that Radar saw those coming and fled the building. A lot of those are just so forced that they're not funny. I'll admit that there are a few classic chem puns that I still enjoy, and clever, incidental puns are great, but taken too far, and it's just butchering the poor periodic table.

Originally Posted By: Master1
I'm sure that Radar saw those coming and fled the building. A lot of those are just so forced that they're not funny. I'll admit that there are a few classic chem puns that I still enjoy, and clever, incidental puns are great, but taken too far, and it's just butchering the poor periodic table.

@Master1 and Slarty
I submit to your rational and reasoned critique. I knew it was bad when I started, but after someone mentioned the word Ytterbrium, this past week has been one long nightmare. I'm trying to concentrate on designing an interface program, and that word just kept popping into my fore-conciousness.

I am not really as mad as a March hare...
Well, on the paw, maybe I am...
But on the other paw, that Hatter is unequivocably mad.

I'll think it's time I go back to Wonderland. They're having a tea party there.

• 2 weeks later...

Puzzle to Ponder.

The petulant purveyor of paltry puns padded pedantically past painted portraits of prior punsters, puzzling and pondering his present predicamant, pausing periodically to peer at the pair of pared pears perched on his palm. "It's peculiar", he posed, "Particular persons are permitted to pun with impunity, but applauding a pun so prominantly presented is punished. Perhaps they perceived my attempt to participate as poaching. My previous post of particularly puny periodic puns was purely pallid compared to previous pungent posts. Ergo I shall plant my paws in the paddock of purgatory, planting petunias and preventing my pate from being pelted by plummeting purple plums."

Yes, one of the greats Wrongs in SW culture is spoiling the sanctity of an RP thread. On CalRef, I generally don't care what happens on the forums, with one exception: Everyone who sticks around for awhile knows that the RP board is serious business, and that I Do Not Care for any tomfoolery in there.

Originally Posted By: The Ratt
Harehunter, the reason they were getting mad at you was because you were posting out of character in a roleplaying thread, not discussing the roleplaying.

This. Also because the only reason you posted OOC in the thread was to say "Hey, I make puns!"

For sheer heroism of language, I recommend La Disparition, and its translations are possibly even more amazing feats of language. I'm also very fond of Near A Raven, again for following two constraints with aplomb.

—Alorael, who knows these aren't puns. They're use of language for amusement, though, and they're brilliant.

Originally Posted By: kafkaesque / kafkan
Originally Posted By: The Ratt
Harehunter, the reason they were getting mad at you was because you were posting out of character in a roleplaying thread, not discussing the roleplaying.

This. Also because the only reason you posted OOC in the thread was to say "Hey, I make puns!"

Yes, all of this. If you had read the thread up until that point, you would have seen that pretty much the entire thing consisted an unbroken story, of people posting in character, with a handful of brief out of character remarks that are essentially maintenance posts, directly concerned with the progress of the RP.

It's not so much that a single, regular-thread-style point of commentary is going to derail the RP. But those often generate further replies (as in regular threads) and when you get a block of them, as happened with the Mystic earlier, that DOES tend to derail the RP. Derailing threads, of course, is not a crime; but an RP is a major community undertaking in addition to being a thread. If derailing a thread is like standing in the middle of a road, derailing a big project is like parking your car on a railroad crossing.

This is an accepted convention among the community. You don't have to agree with it, but please respect it.

Particular persons are permitted to pun with impunity, but applauding a pun so prominantly presented is punished.

Also, you were not applauding. You were complaining about the fact that we responded differently to someone who made a single pun at a time he felt appropriate, than to someone who makes huge numbers of puns constantly not because they are particularly fitting or witty but just because they could possibly be made.

• 2 weeks later...

I do not pun to offend. It is part and parcel of my peculiar personality passed onto me by my paternal parent who persisted in passing puns in profusion.

As I have mentioned before, my colleagues consider it OOC for me not to pun. Just this morning I find this in my mailbox:

Click to reveal.. (Engineer's New Conversion Table)

Proper Engineers' Conversion Table:

1. Ratio of an igloo's circumference to its diameter = Eskimo Pi

2. 2000 pounds of Chinese soup = Won ton

3. 1 millionth of a mouthwash = 1 microscope

4. Time between slipping on a peel and smacking the pavement = 1 bananosecond

5. Weight an evangelist carries with God = 1 billigram

6. Time it takes to sail 220 yards at 1 nautical mile per hour = Knotfurlong

7. 16.5 feet in the Twilight Zone = 1 Rod Serling

8. Half of a large intestine = 1 semicolon

9. 1,000,000 aches = 1 megahurtz

10. Basic unit of laryngitis = 1 hoarsepower

11. Shortest distance between two jokes = A straight line

12. 453.6 graham crackers = 1 pound cake

13. 1 million-million microphones = 1 megaphone

14. 2 million bicycles = 2 megacycles

15. 365.25 days = 1 unicycle

16. 2000 mockingbirds = 2 kilomockingbirds

17. 52 cards = 1 decacards

18. 1 kilogram of falling figs = 1 Fig Newton

19. 1000 milliliters of wet socks = 1 literhosen

20. 1 millionth of a fish = 1 microfiche

21. 1 trillion pins = 1 terrapin

22. 10 rations = 1 decoration

23. 100 rations = 1 C-ration

24. 2 monograms = 1 diagram

25. 4 nickels = 2 paradigms

26. 2.4 statute miles of intravenous surgical tubing at Yale University Hospital = 1 IV League

As for popping in and out, I take my cue from a Wascally Wabbit who for some reason always complained that he should have a left turn at Albuquerque.

Originally Posted By: Postmaster General
Loc: Elsewhere

Mass and weight are not equal; they don't use the same units. And we don't convert from kilogram masses to pound weights; the usual interconversion is pound-mass and pound-force or kilogram-mass and kilogram-force, and sometimes slugs to pound-force.

Fee Fie Foe Fun
I smell the odor of a really bad pun.
Be it Linus or Lucy, I really don't care
But whatever happened to Charlie Brown's Hair?

Click to reveal.. (Bad Rabbit)
And you thought my puns couldn't get any verse.

In practice, the units have the same name because mass is measured by weight, not by inertia, on Earth. And who cares about weight but engineers?

You are absolutely correct; but let me add a little more confusion to the fire... Weight is actually two factors; the mass of the object and the force of gravity on that object. The combination of these two terms when applied to a structure, such as a beam, causes another component that engineers call stress. Calculating that equation is the major cause of stress in engineers.

—Alorael, who also gives Actaeon congratulations and all that. Base 12 would be a superior unit: for just the creation of two more digits, you'd get a base factorable by 2, 3, 4, and 6 instead of just 2 and 10. That's twice as many factors! And thirds and quarters are slightly more common than fifths, so they're also better factors.

Count Rugen would prefer a base-11 system.
imagesqtbnANd9GcR_xpvhGZDMsUjjLw8FutD5Qs

I'm really not sure why you brought these in here, but:

Weight is actually two factors; the mass of the object and the force of gravity on that object.

Weight is actually just the force of gravity on a given object. It is made of two factors: the mass of the object and the acceleration due to gravity.

I get chewed out for punning on other threads.

That's the short version.

The long version is simply this; not everyone enjoys puns. They are considered a distraction at the least, to downright annoying at the worst. Given that reason, I try to be courteous and restrict my bad habit to a thread that wars people up front, "Don't go there if you don't like puns".

Then there are people such as Actaeon who will intentionally leave tempting straight lines as bait, just to see where I will take it. Others, such as Alorael, bait me even worse, more so because they don't do it intentionally. Aloreal's straight lines are haute cuisine for a PunMeister.

Back on topic:

I think I was trying to make that point, but your explanation is more correct; Weight as a force is defined as Mass x Acceleration. I mis-remembered the definition of gravity, which is not of itself a force, but merely a component of a force. Thanks for reminding.

(I hope I haven't muddied the re-definition of this.

I have been under a lot of stress lately.)

Then there are people such as Actaeon who will intentionally leave tempting straight lines as bait, just to see where I will take it. Others, such as Alorael, bait me even worse, more so because they don't do it intentionally. Aloreal's straight lines are haute cuisine for a PunMeister.

You overestimate me. It is possible that my subconscious is at work, but for the most part, I fall into the same camp as Alorael in that regard. I generally realize I have left an opening about ten seconds after hitting submit.

This happened when I was 17 or so, on a road trip with my dad.

Quote:

Dad: There's the exit to Norwood. Nandwood should be coming up next.

Me: Uh what?

Dad: Never mind, just booling around.

*two second pause followed by uproarious laughter*

... Yeah. I come from a family of total geeks. May the gods help me.