We haven't done one of those weird threads where you post pictures of yourself in awhile...

keira

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Lilith
you know you'd probably find this forum a less abrasive environment if you didn't get defensive every time someone made a joke that wasn't even directed specifically at you

I suppose I need to brush up on my sense of what is meant as a joke. Political Correctness here in the states has run amok and is getting people fired from their jobs. Maybe you can assist me in recognizing what you intend as a joke.

Originally Posted By: Harehunter
I suppose I need to brush up on my sense of what is meant as a joke. Political Correctness here in the states has run amok and is getting people fired from their jobs. Maybe you can assist me in recognizing what you intend as a joke.

The good news is that Lilith is Australian, so none of that applies to her. Also, the lack of capital letters and punctuation is a pretty good indication of a post that's not meant to be read matter-of-factly.

Dikiyoba.

Originally Posted By: The Turtle Stays
There needs to be a SW group video chat at some point. Just because y'all arguing in real time would be remarkable.

It'd probably suck, mostly. Real-time debate would offer far less time to coherently organize ones points, and would demand a far different sort of conversational aptitude than we're using here.

Originally Posted By: Polaran
There needs to be a SW group video chat at some point. Just because y'all arguing in real time would be remarkable.

It'd probably suck, mostly. Real-time debate would offer far less time to coherently organize ones points, and would demand a far different sort of conversational aptitude than we're using here.

Yeah, lol. I don't think the people that frequent Spidweb are the best conversationalists. In person debate requires showmanship to make it interesting; being intelligent, and thorough isn't enough.

Originally Posted By: Polaran

Actually, its sort of like postal chess. It gives us time to digest each others arguments, research your facts ( spewing false information on this forum of well educated people will draw 100 verbal lashes), and compose a thoughtful and respectfully worded response. If you like reality show arguments, there are plenty of those. (BTW, whatever happened to Jerry Springer?)

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Yosimite Sam and Sylvester Cat are in cahoots against Bugs Bunny and Tweety Bird...
(What is a 'cahoot' anyway? Some strange cross breed of a cat and an owl?)
Click to reveal..
owlcat.jpg

Actually, its sort of like postal chess.

is that like regular chess except when you lose you shoot your opponent
Once upon a time, a half a lifetime ago, before the invention of the internet (my god I feel ancient) people used to sit down and write with their hand (hence the origin of the term 'handwriting') a brief correspondence with their friends and family. Long-distant calling was available, but it was too Price-y (I was wondering where Vincent came from). It was also common to foot-note their letters with their next chess move. (Seque Avernum 3, the two huts on either side of the ogre infested pass.)

Originally Posted By: Nicothodes
Originally Posted By: Randomizer
I think Lilith's shift key no longer works. smile

SHOWS WHAT YOU KNOW

That only proves that your caps lock is fine

Anything that can be done with shift can also be done with caps lock, and vice-versa. There's no way to prove either one works.

Originally Posted By: Sarachim
Originally Posted By: Nicothodes
I think Lilith's shift key no longer works. smile

SHOWS WHAT YOU KNOW

That only proves that your caps lock is fine

Anything that can be done with shift can also be done with caps lock, and vice-versa. There's no way to prove either one works.

Video demonstration.

Lilith's probably honest enough not to have lied to us though, right?

Originally Posted By: Excalibur
Believe it or not that actually startled me.

I kind of wonder if I'm the only one who exclusively uses the left shift key. I don't think I even touch the right shift key.
Actually, I thought I was weird for doing the same thing. It is good to know that I am in good company.

You know you're an Oracle programmer if you can touch-type the Caps-Lock key.

I actually used Capslock for about a year when I first started typing before I learned what shift is for. And yes, I too rely exclusively on left shift. My left pinky pretty much sits there permanently. From what I recall, that's not actually proper typing form, but it works and my words per minute are adequate to my needs.

Tyran could be avoiding typing altogether and using the Character Viewer to put in those symbols! Or relying on the internet and copying and pasting, I suppose.

—Alorael, who would gladly watch postal chess. Four minutes of chess, then three minutes of gunning down designated targets. He'd watch from a distance. Ideally through a scope, perhaps.

Originally Posted By: Trenton the dragon lord
My business teacher says that for the left side of the keyboard we use the right shift, and for the right side we use left shift.
This is the "correct" way of doing it. Like most others, I use the left shift only.

I prefer to just hold down the shift key when I'm typing out table names, but on the other hand I don't write SQL all that often. If I did it full time I'd probably do the same as you.

I used to use the right shift key when I had to use a typewriter. But with the advent of the computer, with all those extra keys to the right, just begging for attention, then the introduction of the mouse, my right hand just became too busy to deal with the annoying business of that key, so he became shiftless.

Originally Posted By: Tyranicus
Originally Posted By: Sarachim
!@#$%%^&*()_+

That only proves that your Character Map is in working order and that you remember the order the symbols form along the top row.

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
I prefer to just hold down the shift key when I'm typing out table names, but on the other hand I don't write SQL all that often. If I did it full time I'd probably do the same as you.
I don't do SQL that much, but when I do I usually just copy-paste from PHPMyAdmin and toss in my variables (I always end up forgetting where backticks go and where quotes go)...For some reason I'm thinking it's not even case-sensitive. Is it, or is that just a good practice?

I've just had to completely rewrite all my unix shell scripts to work in an environment of virtual machines. Almost all lower case until I get to variable names. Using mixed case makes it easier to read. Then there is that confounded row of special symbols where I have to reach the furthest to get to.

Consarned new-fangled gadgets!

Originally Posted By: Dainty Us

Agreed. The one non-video spiderweb chat I attended was an enjoyable escapade.

Also, Spiderwebbers would probably be good at postal chess. Although we tried Diplomacy once and it didn't go great.

Edit: I failed in my quoting. I clearly haven't posted much since the UBB change.