We haven't done one of those weird threads where you post pictures of yourself in awhile...

keira

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Space Between
Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Originally Posted By: Trenton
What? Why would someone get plastic surgery just to look like theyre avatar?

Arancaytar really likes the Myst series.

Dikiyoba.

Pretty sure he's talking about Nikki.

If that's the case, my avatar is a picture of Shizuku, a character from the Studio Ghibli film Whisper of the Heart. I had my PDN as her name for a while, and the image just sort of stayed. I don't really look like it though, so I'm kinda baffled as to why you think I might be.

Originally Posted By: Harehunter
I suppose I should enter the fray. This is me with my girlfriend; she's a real dog.

I know this is an old joke and I doubt anything malicious was meant by it, but it's an offensive one. There's a long history of oppressed groups being portrayed as less than human and "humour" is not an excuse to continue it.

Originally Posted By: Harehunter
Excuse me while I indulge in some sole food.

"A little bit of ketchup with that foot?"

I have to give you credit; that was pretty hilarious! I also liked your original joke, but I understand how it could be considered offensive. I'll just say that I think your dog is a beaut!

Originally Posted By: Excalibur
I really like grape hyacinths. I'm assuming that's what you're sitting among but I can't tell.

The flowers in Harehunter's photo don't look like any grape hyacinths I've ever seen. They're too large and have all that white on them. They could be some kind of small lupin, but they're so fuzzy it's hard to tell.

Click to reveal..
6205541903_dd724712de.jpg

Dikiyoba.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Originally Posted By: Excalibur
I really like grape hyacinths. I'm assuming that's what you're sitting among but I can't tell.

The flowers in Harehunter's photo don't look like any grape hyacinths I've ever seen. They're too large and have all that white on them. They could be some kind of small lupin, but they're so fuzzy it's hard to tell.

Texas Bluebonnet, of course.

Missy was a shelter puppy when we got her from the SPCA. She's a labrador terrier, and definitely the sweetest and smartest dog I have ever known. Not only does she learn something astonishingly quickly, she has us trained very well too. She understands just about everything we tell her, and she has taught us some of her language as well. She has different barks, howls, and whines for different things, and several non-vocal words as well. Ask her what she wants and she will say "That" by pointing with her nose.

In some ways, dogs have a great deal to teach us humans. They are always honest, they rarely hold grudges living only in the moment, give them a little love and they will return it 100 times over. And frankly I think dogs are beautiful.

And yes, those are Texas bluebonnets. Very astute, Turtle.

Missy does indeed sound amazingly intelligent. I didn't use to care much for dogs, but in my more recent interactions with them I have found the interactions to be a lot of fun. I can't say I find all dogs beautiful, but most are at least somewhat appealing. Apart from perhaps the hyena, I can't think of many mammals that aren't beautiful in some respect.

Ye Gods. I believe I've seen photos of this canine before. He does have some very silky-looking white hair- but yeah, not too much else of beauty to note. But I said I couldn't think of many. Show me ten ugly mammals that aren't artificially bred, or hyenas, and I might relent. :{P

Originally Posted By: Struggling Little Flies
It takes an ecologist or a real animal enthusiast to see the beauty in a naked mole rat.

—Alorael, who finds regular rats adorable. Mice less so.

Ah, the mole rat. I admit that it's quite difficult to find beauty in the critter. I do admire its powerful buck teeth, but that's about it.

I find all other rodents quite cute, though, including mice and rats. Elephant shrews are likely the cutest rodent of all.

I'm not certain from that picture if the dog was abused, or is just an exceptionally old one. The breed appears to of the Xoloitzcuintli, or Mexican Hairless. If that is the case, I would understand its ill disposition toward cameras, especially if it is just an older dog. Chihuahuas, which are closely related, have a bit of an inferiority complex, which they try to hide behind an aggressive front. But they are very loyal and affectionate to their owners.

And as a dog gets older, they do tend to get a bit grumpy. I resemble that remark myself, and I'm only a half-century old.

Ah, a bit of research has yielded the mystery canine's identity: Sam, the Ugliest Dog Ever .

Apparently he is a purebred hairless Chinese Crested. His current owners adopted him from a shelter, and while his temperament was poor at first, he was successfully re-socialized to some extent. He was champion of the World's Ugliest Dog contest from 2003 to his death in 2005.

Originally Posted By: The Turtle Moves
Fussel is adorable, I don't know what you're talking about. As for Frank and Louie, creepy but still cute.

I agree. Neither are properly ugly, just a bit creepy and deformed.

You know, I can't believe I didn't mention warthogs in my exceptions to the 'mammals are beautiful' rule. Pretty undeniably ugly. Hogs in general lack beauty, but most can be considered cute.

Yep, wolves and all big cats (and smaller cats, for that matter) are all quite beautiful and elegantly formed.

Dikiyoba, I admit that the hyenas in that photo are kinda cute. But most every non-marsupial young mammal is adorable, and it is significant that the adult has its mouth closed. In photos where their mouths are open, hyenas invariably look quite feral and unappealing.

Originally Posted By: Trenton the dragon lord
I know they are cute. Im just saying they are not AS cute when they are trying to rip your throat out.
I'm sure that's exactly what I'll be thinking as I'm being torn apart. "Awwww, this isn't as adorable as it should be! :'("

Related: How do people here feel about wolf hunting? IMHO, as long as they aren't interfering with us they're okay, but as soon as they interfere with people's livelihoods...

Originally Posted By: Pseudorandomizer
Related: How do people here feel about wolf hunting? IMHO, as long as they aren't interfering with us they're okay, but as soon as they interfere with people's livelihoods...

I feel that the ranchers that irresponsibly want to deplete recovered wolf populations over concerns about loss of livestock should just invest in stronger, higher fences and leave wildlife alone. Wolves should be allowed to re-establish their natural relationship with deer and other prey animals, leaving the way clear for an eventual ban on hunting. I've always been an advocate of animal rights, though.

Originally Posted By: Pseudorandomizer

That's tricky. You've got to be careful that you don't kill so many wolves that you upset the ecological balance and cause a population explosion in something that the wolves prey on, like deer- who might then consume all the food for the ranchers and cause more damage than the wolves, etc.. However, that shouldn't even be a problem, because it's probably way easier in the long run to simply keep the wolves away with fences and technology rather than take the time to hunt them down and kill them.

And, of course, there's no skill in mowing down animals with machine guns, and I detest people who do so and call it sport. Rifles, on the other hand...