Discussion for who the Main Character is.[G5]

kuo

Welcome, Ingarra!

So, resurrecting old topics is frowned upon, but it isn't against the rules (more than a good few months seems to qualify as "old", though there is, as always, a bit of sway). In future, if you want to start a thread with your own thoughts, feel free to do that and let the older threads fade away. If nothing else, it lets the rest of us chime in with our own opinions, which pretty much will definitely have changed somewhat.

Hello Mosquito---Slayer, and thanks for responding and the welcome! :) As for G2 PC, I know he is quite popular. (G2 is actually my favorite game in the series. Stocking up on intelligence and making 7 drakons. Good times. :D )He is VERY powerful as a character, imo, since he did pretty much wipe out the first drakons, (not to mention all the other factions, since it is hinted he remained loyalist)

As for why I don't think it is his character:

1. In one of the Geneforge series after G2, it is mentioned how a lone shaper inflitrated Benerii-us and killed Eass and the others, by way of Amena Blade, in either G3 or G4. (One of the two. I'm inclined to think G3) This leads me to think that it was the character you played as, by canon, who did that. And although you could've been awakened, or one of Barzhal's followers (both want to kill the drakons as well), we know that the shapers came down afterwards and killed anyone that didn't flee. So likely he was a loyalist. (Or got killed by the shapers. There is an ending in which you sold out the Awakened beforehand to one of their enemies, and if you joined them, the awakened were doomed. You then got killed)

2. Another catch is that no clear timeline is made between G2 and G3. I actually think G3 happened ALOT later than G2. Otherwise, I think that the shaper council of G3-5 would've recognized the drakons, and the other creations and likely would've fought them alot better. As for why Amena is still alive,well, Learned Pinner was at least over 100 years old by the end of G2. Amena blade was probably alot younger. And we don't know how old Ghaldring is, only that he gathered out in to the wilderness to gain power, (didn't say how long)

3. Since G2 PC was likely a loyalist, based on the information above, I doubt he used the geneforge or joined the rebels. If anything, he would've fought them quite a bit, like he did before. There was a Geneforge in 2, but it was for Drakons. If the G2 PC were to use it, they would be killed. (I know this because I tried it once, just to see what would happen)

In conclusion, G2 PC to me is not a good candidate because he was:

1. Pro-shaper (canon)

2. Might've used canisters, but might not have. There was a way to shape the body to cast the more powerful spells, but as far as I could tell, it made absolutely no chances to your perceptions, and actually just using that alone actually didn't get me killed by the council, only if I used a bunch of canisters as well.

3. Did not use a Geneforge, and had no idea how to make one. The Geneforge there was one that was made for drakons.

4. No clear timeline between G2-3 is given.

So, while it is possible, I don't think it was him, given the circumstances above. Thanks again for the reply. You brought up a very good point.

Hoge is a possibility, but wasn't he severely damaged physically due to canister use? His body was falling apart last time we saw him. Most likely he died in between G3 and G4 due to a body that couldn't handle the changes being done to him.

I personally like to think we're playing Shaper Monarch, simply because it adds a nice dimension to the story (aside from Litalia, we've never seen a pyscho-canister user come back to sanity, because even she could still function in G3 without too much trouble) without dictating a players pre-game actions/beliefs (something that Jeff never does in his games). It's never stated that Monarch didn't use a Geneforge, which I always assumed at the very least considering how crazed he had become. Of course, since I play a Warrior/Guardian, I don't really need to explain the possibility of species transfer. Maybe Monarch transferred his power to a servile he created, as an effort to prolong his life? I understand this doesn't do much to explain why Alwan, Litalia and Grete all claim to recognize him/her though..

Hoge is a possibility, but wasn't he severely damaged physically due to canister use? His body was falling apart last time we saw him. Most likely he died in between G3 and G4 due to a body that couldn't handle the changes being done to him.

I personally like to think we're playing Shaper Monarch, simply because it adds a nice dimension to the story (aside from Litalia, we've never seen a pyscho-canister user come back to sanity, because even she could still function in G3 without too much trouble) without dictating a players pre-game actions/beliefs (something that Jeff never does in his games). It's never stated that Monarch didn't use a Geneforge, which I always assumed at the very least considering how crazed he had become. Of course, since I play a Warrior/Guardian, I don't really need to explain the possibility of species transfer. Maybe Monarch transferred his power to a servile he created, as an effort to prolong his life? I understand this doesn't do much to explain why Alwan, Litalia and Grete all claim to recognize him/her though..

Litalia is known, at least, to have met Monarch and try to sway him to the Rebellion's side. Monarch's journal, and I think Litalia's as well, both discuss this. Greta was the head of the Rebel effort to defeat Monarch in the Fens of Aziraph, and thus it's possible she would recognize Monarch. Alwan was in Illya at the time, but it's still feasible that he would be able to recognize Monarch, either because he was in the Fens at some point, or because the information was distributed among the military brass as part of the effort to fight him. The old and dying General Crowley would still be able to do that, at the very least.

Another less well-known possibility is that the G5 PC is Shaila (sp?) from the Forsaken Lands. She went crazy after using the Geneforge, and even though the G4 PC supposedly killed her, the same was supposed to be true of the G4 PC and Alwan.

As for a servile, my first instinct would be to say just a generic cultist, but the PC has magical prowess through Shaping, not through the tattoos and strange rituals of the servile cultists. Too bad there aren't any other powerful serviles that could fit the role anywhere else in the history of the Rebellion...

Another less well-known possibility is that the G5 PC is Shaila (sp?) from the Forsaken Lands. She went crazy after using the Geneforge, and even though the G4 PC supposedly killed her, the same was supposed to be true of the G4 PC and Alwan.

Shaila is a rather distant probability, because either she was killed or handed to the shapers for fixing her and considering she went according to a general who belonged to Alwan, there is little chance she will be handed over to Rawal.

Being a servile is the nail in the coffin of most possibilities except being the G4 PC. The other possibilities tend to require the G5 character to be human.

—Alorael, who maintains that the best answer is probably that the G5 PC had no significance in prior plots or that it's a multiple-choice past.

So, resurrecting old topics is frowned upon, but it isn't against the rules (more than a good few months seems to qualify as "old", though there is, as always, a bit of sway). In future, if you want to start a thread with your own thoughts, feel free to do that and let the older threads fade away. If nothing else, it lets the rest of us chime in with our own opinions, which pretty much will definitely have changed somewhat.

The rule of thumb is (well, used to be), "Don't resurrect old topics unless you have something meaningful to add."

---

Dikiyoba's personal interpretation (headcanon?) is for the G5 PC to be Shaila, since Dikiyoba played through G5 as a shock trooper. It spared Dikiyoba the unresolved mystery and the hassle of coming up with a good name for the PC.

(Edit: Removed italics)

Edited by Dikiyoba

That's it. The main character is a fusion of Alwan and Greta from an alternate timeline in which the human rebellion and the Shapers united against the drakons and used merged human chimeras as their Unbound-esque superweapon. Oh, and they threw in some servile, too.

—Alorael, who has accounted for sex and race oddities. He's accounted for a lot of inexplicable recognition. He's brought in time travel. It's a winner!

That's it. The main character is a fusion of Alwan and Greta from an alternate timeline in which the human rebellion and the Shapers united against the drakons and used merged human chimeras as their Unbound-esque superweapon. Oh, and they threw in some servile, too.

that sure explains why neither alwan nor greta wanted to talk about them