Keyboard use?

Triumph

I have a Macbook with Snow Leopard. Am I supposed to be able to use the keyboard to play this game? I download the latest Carbon BoE version from the Google-site up at the top of this forum...but I can use my arrow keys to move, and although I can press T or L to start the process of talking or looking, I don't have the option to use letters to select what to talk to or look at; I have to click with the mouse. I also can't use the mouse to move more than one space at a time. I thought I recalled (from playing the demo once many years ago) that it used to be possible to hold the mouse button and keep moving. Clicking every single I want to move ONE space...is totally not fun.

Is this just some odd phenomenon of my machine, or is this how the game is supposed to work?

Looking and talking with the keyboard can only be done when you are standing directly next to the thing or person you want to look at or talk to. You press the L or T key and then the arrow key in the direction of the object or person. Once you have the talk dialog box up, You have to use the mouse to click on words you want to ask about.

Originally Posted By: Tyranicus

Once you have the talk dialog box up, You have to use the mouse to click on words you want to ask about.

BoE's dialog system always annoyed me. It's almost exactly like the one from Morrowind, but you can't see a list of available topics and if you don't know what you're supposed to ask about you just have to click over every single word.

Originally Posted By: Duck in a Top Hat

Once you have the talk dialog box up, You have to use the mouse to click on words you want to ask about.

BoE's dialog system always annoyed me. It's almost exactly like the one from Morrowind, but you can't see a list of available topics and if you don't know what you're supposed to ask about you just have to click over every single word.
Yeah, Nethergate improved on the system by coloring clickable words blue.

Kind 'o kills the idea of 'searching' in the 'adventure' doesn't it?

I'm not much of a 'Gamer' as many are, but isn't learning your way through the adventure the heart of the game?

I understand that there are some scenarios that are mostly puzzles with not much of a story-line, but if you're playing one that is an actual 'adventure' you can't really rush through it without missing what the Author has created.

You search rooms, chests, bookcases, walls and everything else, how difficult can it be to simply wipe across the conversation for key words.

Maybe it's because of my age, but it seems to me that this is simply being impatient and wanting instant gratification rather than the enjoyment of the story-line and game; probably a result of what the modern games are built around, or why we watch television rather than read a book.

Relax, be patient and enjoy the surroundings.

Stop and smell the flowers, as it were.

I can't imagine rushing through 'The Arc', or any of the other Scenrios that are more story and detail oriented rather than simply killing something and 'winning.

me

Originally Posted By: Triumph
Yeah, but a laptop (or at least this model of Macbook) doesn't have the number keypad, just the four arrow keys in the lower right corner (do any other laptops have number pads?). Does that mean the game is, if not technically unplayable, then totally un-fun on laptops? frown
There are number pads that plug into a USB or other port; they're fairly cheap and (from what I hear) quite reliable.

• 3 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: Celtic Minstrel
On Mac, you might be able to get diagonals using Fn+arrow keys, but probably not.
You cannot on a modern Mac. Apple removed numpad functionality from their laptops in 2007. However, as The Mystic says, USB numpads are not hard to find and are pretty inexpensive.

You cannot on a modern Mac. Apple removed numpad functionality from their laptops in 2007. However, as The Mystic says, USB numpads are not hard to find and are pretty inexpensive.
You can get PgUp, PgDn, Home, End functionality with Fn+arrow keys, though. It's fairly likely that this doesn't double as numpad diagonals though, since Mac never really had that "scroll lock" mapping.