Is Duke Griffin supposed to be unkillable?

Dar

is the duke the end of the game? are you supposed to view his overwhelming instant killer abilities as what happens to avadon? i.e. instant unavoidable death.

he always attacks first, gets 8 attacks per round, as do his perpetually respawning demons and guards. i've tried 46 attempts at killing him and so far only one of my characters survived to take a turn at the end of round 1 on one occasion, then I discovered that resurrection doesn't work in the duke's room!

i'm playing on normal - killer dungeon! - very boring and weird ending for the player???

No, this is not the end. The Duke is supposed to be hard, but he's an optional fight.

IIRC, you have to concentrate your attacks on Gryfyn as much as possible, ignoring the demons; but I guess that doesn't help you if you're not surviving the first round.

It may be a problem with your character builds - More endurance and dexterity will help you survive longer. It's not too late to retrain if you're willing to use the cheat code "retrain".

Alternately, you can just let the Duke go.

Thanks, it didn't feel right as an ending.

I think it must be character class choice. I'm trying with two shadowblades (both maxed out on dex) and the sorceress all level 28. These guys just don't stand a chance of surviving the initial onslaught. The Dukes dex must be well over 40 to always go first but why do all of his allies also have such high dex?

only managed to throw one star at him but learned he's also immune to physical damage so I think avoiding him is the only solution.

Originally Posted By: Dar
only managed to throw one star at him but learned he's also immune to physical damage so I think avoiding him is the only solution.

His immunities actually change as the battle goes on, so you need a range of damage types in your party. Killing him or not killing him doesn't really have a huge effect on the ending anyway.

I agree he wasn't black-and-white evil like Moritz'kri, but if you ask what he'll do if you let him go, he makes it pretty clear that his continued existence will be very bad for the Pact and Avadon. He's not talking about giving the Pact a vigorous shakeup so much as he's talking about helping to dissolve it entirely.

Originally Posted By: Darth Ernie
philosophically i went with letting him go. according to all sides he was a generally good guy up against the system and the system needed a vigorous shakeup.

"Generally good guys" don't assume they will succeed in solving a centuries-old issue, immediately give up after encountering a few obstacles, and resort to treachery and murder instead.

Dikiyoba.

Killing or not killing the Duke? You can try both options and as far as the after game notes say it seems not a good idea for Avadon to let him live; Duke's surviving is not told to be exactly a main problem as if you let live some other big guys, more as a further obstacle for Avadon that can be avoided killing him. However, I quote Dikiyoba about "generally good guy".

• 1 year later...

I played with a blademaster, a shadow walker and a shaman. The 2 firsts are about 20 in endurance and strength. I have the finest armor I could buy or get after missions. I have scrolls, potions and elixirs and I have been as loyal to avadon as I have been able. I really wanted to kill this guy but I can´t, not even in CASUAL mode!!!

I don´t want to cheat, and I have tried different approach to the battle but he is still unbeatable to the point of making me frustrated. (That´s why I came here) but it looks like all is left is to let him escape, though I do not want to!

This was disappointing about this game, why was I given the choices in the game to be loyal to avadon if in the end I was going to be faced with an unbeatable guy (in casual mode!) that forces me to let him live just to try to see the end of the game?

I know maybe I am just one of the few who gave up here, but still I see this as a flaw in this otherwise wonderful game.

This is a fight where a sorceress is very helpful because she has more attack damage types to rotate through each turn. However with that group you should still be able to do it since I got through with just a shadowwalker on torment. Ignore the demons and don't get too close so you bring in the guards.

• 2 weeks later...

I killed him with pleasure since he's been so keen on murdering Shigaz who was totally innocent, and by the way he tried to murder me too. I don't know how he can fit the definition of 'good guy' only because he didn't murder his own folk like others.

Anyway he wasn't so tough. He calls 3 incubus, all of them are immune to energy, 1 of them is immune to fire and 1 to physical damage. 1 razor spray, 1 firestorm and acid/ice cone are enough to kill them in 1-2 turns, before they can hurt. They didn't appear again in my fight because I killed the duke before he could summon more. Even if he has reflection, it's better to hit and heal than not to hit with magic, I think.

You can also try to change your companions' stats (Shift-D + retrain), 20 in strength and endurance means you can't inflict much damage, I think it would be better to sacrifice endurance for dex/int depending on the class (personally I never raised endurance).

• 1 month later...

If I remember correctly, killing Duke Griffin does change the ending text slightly (I think it makes it slightly better for you/Avadon if you go the loyalist route). But, it's been a few months so I don't remember for sure.

But, as Randomizer said, you can still get the loyalist ending regardless of what you do to the Duke.