Best Place to Spend My Money?

Bhima

Alright folks. I'm probably playing too easy, but I'm having a blast. I've not really spent any money upgrading spells or training my team, so I've amassed about 10K coins. I'm worried about hitting some software cap on wealth, so I'm looking for some guidance on the best place to spend my coins.

I'm not going to lie, I loved the "retrain" feature in Avadon; I really tweaked my players that way. Didn't seem to feel too much like cheating.

I know there are some trainers in the game who can seriously enhance a specific player, but at a cost. Is that worth it?

PS: I'm still mucking about in the Great Cave; haven't done the Great Portal chore yet.

PPS: I haven't sold any bars of gold, iron, fine steel, fine leather, emeralds, rubies, or any other crystals for that matter. Love it.

Originally Posted By: Bhima
I know there are some trainers in the game who can seriously enhance a specific player, but at a cost. Is that worth it?

Yes: a permanent skill boost to any skill you're going to be using is definitely worth the money, provided you don't have anything else urgent to spend it on. Trainers are probably the most important money sink in the game, so don't expect to be able to buy all the training at once.

Don't worry about upgrading spells: doing so has a fairly limited effect (each level is equivalent to a single point of Spellcraft, but for that spell only.)

Archery is relatively weak in A6, but is actually highly useful, IMO. Archery lets you wear down enemies. Without actually spending skill points, if you use a Nephil, and buy the blessings and training that are out there, you can get a decently competent archer who is quite helpful for pinging distant enemies who are either out of reach of melee, or that you just don't want to burn spell points on.

• 2 months later...

So, I hit the gold cap pretty darn quickly with my double-ton group. I've maxed out all of the trainers as of the eastern gallery chapter. I've even bought a bunch of souped up equipment which I'm likely to regret having spent the materials on, and quickly made it right back to 30,000 coins.

Any more suggestions on spending this money, or should I keep it at cap until the next chapter?

Paying to train spells usually isn't worth it for a normal party, but if you're at the gold cap and have already bought everything else worth buying you might as well upgrade some of the spells you use most often. You might also want to buy up consumables that you expect to find useful, especially energy potions.

• 2 weeks later...

You should probably buy out all the speed potions/elixirs, curing potions/elixirs, invulnerability potions/elixirs, powerful wands, spineshield and regeneration scrolls. Buying herbs for potions is a good idea too. Paying for training is all well and good, but a few extra levels of parry won't save you when fighting Melanchion.

• 2 months later...

So uh, I guess I'm probably playing the game a little too compulsively, or I'm missing something. I've trained to the max level with every one of the skills trainers, and have trained to the max level in every spell I can find. There's not really any equipment that I could purchase better than what I've got, so I'm left with... any hints on how to spend my hoards?