Exile Editors

Erika Maroonmark

I'm playing the Exile games on BasiliskII on a MacBook. I just tried to open the Exile 2 editor, and I got what I can only describe as a "purple screen of death": the screen turned entirely purple and everything stopped (e.g. I had Spotify on in the background and it stopped playing). I had to turn off my computer and restart it. (Now that I've just had this happen, I remember that the same thing happened with the Exile 1 editor several months ago, except that I think the screen was red – I'd forgotten about it except that I knew the editor didn't work, so I didn't use it.) Anyone know what this is or what to do about it? Or should I just count my blessings that I can get the games to work on this machine in the first place?

Basilisk II still has a lot of glitches and hasn't seen any updates for about a year, so it could certainly be the source of your problems. The other likely culprit is something going wrong with your graphics card: either the drivers need to be updated or the card itself is failing.

SheepShaver is better than Basilisk II. It can be a little annoying to setup, (and to find an OS 9 disc and an old Mac ROM file) but once you have it running, it works pretty well. Also, as a PPC emulator, instead of a 680x0 emulator like Basilisk II, it will actually run most classic Mac apps.