Disable full screen in Avernum 4-6

Xandor Tik'Roth

I enjoy running games in a windowed mode whenever possible, and in the first few Avernum games, you could. Now I try to pull Avernum 4-6, and there's no window mode. On a separate note, Avernum 4 refuses to start if I hit "Don't Change Resolution" telling me that it needs exactly 16-bit color. I run a dual-monitor setup with a GTX 460 graphics card. And the graphics lag. Any thoughts on how to solve this? I've already restarted and reinstalled the games.

I run Windows 7 Professional on a custom-built machine running an AMD Phenom II X4, GTX 460 gfx card and dual monitors.

Originally Posted By: Earth Empires
you can't run A4-6 on windowed mode.
Actually, Avernum 6 can be played in a window. On the main screen, click "Game Options," and change "Resolution at Startup" to "Ask at Start." When you start the program again, a window will pop up; check "Play Game in Window." Avernum 6 will now play in a window.

As for Avernum 4 & 5, the only way to get them not to take up the full screen is to run them in a virtual environment using VirtualBox or something similar. (I don't know if Win7 Pro's "Windows XP mode" would work for this; I only have Win7 Home Premium.)