Avernum: Plot Problem

So the newest addition to the Avernum games is a rewrite of the first ever Avernum and the ultimate (In my opinion) rewrite of Exile. I played Avernum and Avernum 2, but because of the bad UI and outdated game system and since i started Avernum in the second trilogy i could never understand the story.

Could someone tell me the whole main plot of all three games? Like not just simply, "You get casted into avadon, and you find this wizard, and you kill the emperour" just explain some of the steps of what to do. Thanks.

Why? It's more fun to play the first game without the spoilers. If you still want them, they can be provided, but given how much of the first game is exploration and determining what you need to do to advance your main goals, I'd recommend at least trying it that way.

—Alorael, who thinks the same is true for the next two games. You get the gist of the plot from dialogue in A4-6. The specifics are more fun to play through yourself.

Well i played the first, second and a little of the third before. I just couldn't understand the story cause the systems of the game got me confused. I couldn't understand how the story progresses. And the fact Avernum was pretty much give me no clue of where to go at all, i was pretty lost until i got to level twenty and went back to fort Avernum and then was the time i figured it out.

I experienced a bit of plot confusion the first play through myself. While the non-linearity of the game allows you to go wherever you want, it does allow you to bypass sections that form the continuity of the story. You have to really pay attention to the dialog to catch the hints of where the next best place to go to.

Not trying to sound superior or anything, but when I first played the original Exiles, I never had to much trouble with understanding the storylines. For months I had just the demos of E1 and E2. Then around late July '98 I was finally able to buy those games. Within a month I had E1 beat and E2 within another.

I'm not an expert when it comes to this stuff but I know a little. Maybe you're rushing through trying to get stuff done and loosing track of what people are saying. Slow down, take a breath, and read the dialogue. Things will work out.

Post # 591 cool

You were also probably used to finding your own way around games, doing some exploring, learning stuff from different people and putting the pieces together yourself. Not that it was brain surgery, but you expected to have to take responsibility for your understanding of the game. That isn't the norm anymore. People expect to be constantly prompted on exactly what they should be doing. It's disquieting.

The openness of Exile 1,2 allows you to go off exploring areas for which you may not yet be prepared. The east side of the Eastern Gallery is newbie land, but wander too far west and you will encounter the much tougher sliths. Head north to Formello to get your pass to enter The Castle, and there is yet another area to get side-tracked into.

Following the leads you get from the dialog, you know to avoid the area west of there until you've made the long trek to the Great Cave and learned some of the core plot points. And don't get distracted by the Mertis Spiral, or the Honeycomb. Not that hard to do, just don't be tempted to explore too far afield.

I know this is on the Avernum thread, but what I've said applies to both Avernum 1-3 as well as Exile 1-3.

Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S
I still don't understand what's so horrible about wandering somewhere with monsters that are too strong for you right now. It just means you turn around and go someplace else. What's the big deal?

when one can reach an area but cannot make progress in it due to difficulty, one cannot help but feel as if something of a bait-and-switch has been pulled upon one. one has got one's hopes up to explore a new location and finds it to be impossible. it's frustrating

Huh. I've never thought of it that way.

That's interesting. I guess, I see how it could feel that way to somebody. But it seems to me that this is again a function of what you're used to. If you're used to being led by the nose to the appropriately difficult area, then I guess this would seem that way. For me, having grown up on games that involved more freedom of exploration, I don't expect that.

EDIT: On second thought, how is this any different from when you find a secret door, get your hopes up to explore it, only to discover a lock/trap/magic barrier that you aren't yet able to pass? It's the same deal, you have to come back later. Is that different?

Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S
That's interesting. I guess, I see how it could feel that way to somebody. But it seems to me that this is again a function of what you're used to. If you're used to being led by the nose to the appropriately difficult area, then I guess this would seem that way. For me, having grown up on games that involved more freedom of exploration, I don't expect that.

EDIT: On second thought, how is this any different from when you find a secret door, get your hopes up to explore it, only to discover a lock/trap/magic barrier that you aren't yet able to pass? It's the same deal, you have to come back later. Is that different?

to be honest i personally don't like it when that sort of thing happens either. stuff like the rune doors in avadon really got my goat because i don't like having to keep notes on what to go back to so that i can see the stuff i missed the first time around. it just feels like padding to make the game waste my time running back and forth from place to place

if part of the appeal of a game is that it's based around free exploration, then it shouldn't include lots of unexpected barriers to that exploration. if you must block the player's way to an area for whatever reason, at least put the locked door right at the entrance to the area so that it doesn't get sprung on them out of nowhere, and so that once they find the key they're rewarded with a significant opportunity for exploration instead of a little room that's annoying when you can't get into it but unsatisfying when you can

corollary: exploration-based games should probably be designed to be fairly easy. one of the reasons i like the might and magic series is that while you can get killed out of nowhere, it's actually not very difficult to find temporary stat-boosting fountains and items that will allow you to take on all but the absolute toughest of areas. for example, it's quite feasible to finish might and magic 2 with a party at level 20, even though the maximum level is 255. so there's rarely a point at which you have to spend half the game levelling up just so you can explore the cool new area you just discovered

see also the ultima series, whose better instalments have very easy combat for the most part

Quote:
I still don't understand what's so horrible about wandering somewhere with monsters that are too strong for you right now. It just means you turn around and go someplace else. What's the big deal?

Actually, Slarty, I agree with you 100%. It was a bit disconcerting at first, but like you say, just restore a bit, and don't go there. It just was a new experience for me in rpg, but once known, it was easy to go back and follow the advice of the npc's that you had talked to.

And then there's our good friend Nicoduas in Avernum 4. Getting to him is not too hard if you have mostly completed the Eastern Gallery, but killing him at this time is out of the question. However, you can still gain emerald armor from him early if just run past him and keep running! So what you have here is one of those "don't go there now" moments combined with "well I'm here now, let's do it now" opportunities.

My guys used to use the imagined spell "reverse time" just as they died. Here's how it works: You save the game before going into a potentially dangerous area, then if you die, reverse time to before you entered (reload), then use different tactics, or don't go there yet. When I started playing my first SW game (Avernum 4 on Normal), if took me a death or two to figure this out, then I managed to bumble through, learning as I went.

Originally Posted By: Harehunter

And then there's our good friend Nicoduas in Avernum 4. Getting to him is not too hard if you have mostly completed the Eastern Gallery, but killing him at this time is out of the question.

I Killed him, it took seventeen reloads though, The trick is to limit the amount of damage you do before the turn in which he drinks healing elixir comes, If you haven't done enough damage by then, then he won't drink the elixir at all.After that it's just hack and slash.

Interesting trick. Do you remember the average level of your party at that time?

I had just waited until I had completed a few more quests, leveled up a bit more, and then came back and deal with him later. I noted on my walkthrough for A4 that I needed to get to level 30 to do the job.

Quote:
Also, I think it's Nociduas, not Nicoduas.

Quite right; thanks for pointing that out. My walkthrough notes had him spelled both ways, but it is corrected now.

As for the level 30 business, I think that was probably because I had gone aquesting longer than necessary. It just happened that that was the level I was when I finally got around to him again. Also, I didn't know the little trick about his healing potion turn. I just tried to take him out hard and fast so that he was dead before that time. Brute force and ignorance does not replace finesse. What would you say is a more realistic level? About 20?

Thuryl beat him at level 17 on Torment here:

http://www.spiderwebforums.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=142356#Post142356

A user from Brazil beat him at level 14-17 on Tricky, albeit with 3 invulnerability potions used, here:

http://www.spiderwebforums.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=140736#Post140736

I did it at an unspecified level (maybe around 28-32 based on the Almaria reference?), but importantly, that was with a singleton and on Torment -- here:

http://www.spiderwebforums.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=75097#Post75097

In contrast, I could only find one thread that ever listed levels above 30.

http://www.spiderwebforums.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=192550