Collaboration Contest/Project?

Handyman

So, most contests don't make sense: If you like making scenarios, competition shouldn't motivate you. On the other hand, a "contest" could be an interesting opportunity to try out some weird exercises in writing/design.

My idea is, roughly: We should split scenario design into different "aspects." So, like: writing, plot, combat, aesthetics, whatever. Each participant will take on a different "aspect" for each scenario once. There are probably a number of reasons for and against doing things this way, but it at least seems interesting.

I'm hesitant to outline the different "aspects" until I know how many people are participating. For instance, Ephesos, Lazarus and other folks from the Random Contest still seem to be around here, but it's not clear who else is. I'd be willing to participate, but then we'd need a way to organize things, and I'd prefer it if participants/judges would remain blind to who's working on what, so it'd be cool if someone uninclined towards designing/judging could volunteer to organize the shuffling of versions back and forth.

EDIT: And while this should be obvious, these scenarios should all aim at being the same length/scope.

For the record, I shall always be here. smile

Originally Posted By: Handyman
My idea is, roughly: We should split scenario design into different "aspects." So, like: writing, plot, combat, aesthetics, whatever. Each participant will take on a different "aspect" for each scenario once. There are probably a number of reasons for and against doing things this way, but it at least seems interesting.

I find this somewhat confusing. Does this mean that for every scenario in the contest there is one person who is designing one aspect, like one person writes all the dialog for say 5 different scenarios and the rest of the aspects in those scenarios are designed by other people? Or is it more like we split into small groups and each group makes a scenario?

Originally Posted By: Handyman
I'd be willing to participate, but then we'd need a way to organize things, and I'd prefer it if participants/judges would remain blind to who's working on what, so it'd be cool if someone uninclined towards designing/judging could volunteer to organize the shuffling of versions back and forth.

That sounds like it would be me. Unless someone else is feeling particularly useful, I could do this. I have other scenarios I'm designing right now anyway, and taking on a new one would put to much on my plate.

Ok, I'll be more specific:

Let's say there are 4 participants. Then, we will split scenario design into four "aspects": Maybe "plot," "writing," "aesthetics," "combat" or something. And, there will be four scenarios. Each participant will do the plot of one scenario, the writing of another, the aesthetics of a third, and combat of a fourth. And, no participant will work on more than one aspect of any scenario.

To better illustrate, in this table below, A-D are the scenarios and 1-4 are the participants:

Code:
SCENARIO:  | A | B | C | D |-----------+---+---+---+---+Plot       | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |Writing    | 2 | 3 | 4 | 1 |Aesthetics | 3 | 4 | 1 | 2 |Combat     | 4 | 1 | 2 | 3 |

(The numbers assigned to the participants will be random. And, we don't have to use Latin square; any counterbalancing will do.)

And, the participants/judges will not know who is working on which parts.