Year of A5 and A4?

I was going to pinpoint the year of A6 but then I got to thinking are the years of A4 and A5 set in stone. I'm sure that the year of A4 was set around 855 IE and A5 around 870 IE. I don't have anything right now from A4, but below I have some stuff from A5 about when things happened.

From Mayor Kilgore about how long ago the Northern Frontier was discovered.

"The Northern Rapids were opened up a little over a decade ago. The exploration began immediately. The Drake Pillars were first entered a week later. Adventurers began to hunt the drakes soon after."

text2 = "_And, once the drakes were mostly gone, the rush for land and wealth began at great speed._";

From Anemona talking about how long she has been imprisoned by Harkin’s Landing.

"Only ten years, but they have stretched out for so long. I am ready to end my imprisonment. I am ready to die, but die in freedom. But that will not happen. I have so little to offer and none will anger the city above. So here I will rot."

According to Commander Glavine, Azure Gallery was only settled about 5 years before the events of A5.

"I came with the first group of settlers in the Azure Gallery. I am one of the few left. We all arrived about five years ago. It was a wild place, as wild as Avernum of the old days. But we tamed it, and claimed it."

From Aramis of Highground talking about how long he’s been in the Azure Gallery.

“Only three years. I came after the giants were pacified but before the mayor closed the town.”

From Mayor Vikas of Exodus when asked how long he was in Exodus.

"The town, three years. Me, much longer. He pats his sash. I was one of the warriors who expelled the drakes that lived here. I personally buried my blade into the neck of the last one killed."

From Amelie in Ahonoria about how long she has been in Avernum.

"Five years. That is when Alcander led us from the surface. He said that here we could speak our beliefs without fear of being crushed. That is worth much."

I'm just gathering data for when Encyclopedia Ermariana is back online.

Post #583 cool

Originally Posted By: CRISIS on INFINITE SLARTIES
This I remember we all hashed out pretty specifically. A5 had a lot of conflicting information, but most of it was within a few years, so whatever date we settled on (was it 870? I don't remember) can be treated as solid.

Conflicting information? Check this out from A4!

Matos of Fort Monastery says when asked about how long he has been in Avernum,
"All my life. Some come down here from the surface to seek their fortune, but most Avernites were born down here. I was born not too long after the Second Slith War. In fact, I'm third-generation. The Empire threw my grandfather down here originally, for one crime or another."

Wasn't the Second Slith War and the Za-Khazi Run around 840 IE? And if A4 was around 855, that would make Matos (if we take what he said above and the fact of the year of A4 as truth) then he is not even 15 years old! Obviously something is amiss.

Post # 585 cool

That was all hashed out in early 2006. There are way more references to time in A4 than just Matos, and Jeff was not careful.

I apologize for sounding so irritated every time this stuff comes up. But when you spend hours digging through the entire text of a game for time references and trying to figure out what is basically a line of best fit for them, and then somebody else comes along and says "wait, I just noticed one text passage, you're wrong!" and doesn't look at the rest of the corpus from the game, it's a little frustrating.

Whoa, whoa Slarty. I've got my hands in the air and I'm backing off. I meant no offence. I know that you put a lot of work into this stuff. Absolutly no criticism is coming from me. I was just writing some stuff down so that it will be ready when Encyclopedia Ermariana is back up. I was just checking to see if my info was correct.

Post #586 cool