Fighting Zephyrine

eaintree

This is going to be a long, painful fight no matter what you do. On higher difficulties, you can pretty much count on Zephyrine to heal herself most of the way back to full every time you're occupied with killing a stone guardian, so you'll end up having to deplete her total HP about 3 or 4 times over. Use Speed Burst scrolls to keep everyone acting twice per round, and don't be afraid to dig into your healing and resurrection items, either. I'd rate this as the hardest fight in the game by a significant margin.

• 5 months later...
Originally Posted By: Swivelable
Do the guardians eventually stop re-appearing after killing one? How many do I have to dispose of before I can take on Zephyrine by herself?

If the guardians are reappearing, it means that you're getting too far away from Zephyrine. You're not allowed to run and hide in order to heal up in this battle: you have to take out all four guardians one after the other and then deal with Zephyrine.

Some one is having a laugh here, I've just gotten to this fight now, spoke with her then the fight started with her breathing blue fire which killed Nathalie in one go and left myself and Shima with less than half health, we got one hit in each with barely made a scratch then we were both dead as well and this is before any of the guardians have gotten invloved either.

If she can drop us in one go then all the scrolls / potions in the world ain't going to help, were all at level 13, should I come back later or just suck it up and get stuck in?

Originally Posted By: raverdave2k
If she can drop us on go then all the scrolls / potions in the world ain't going to help, were all at level 13, should I come back later or just suck it up and get stuck in?

Come back much later. This is a near end-game fight. Not one you want to have the first time you meet her.

Thats all right then, just following the story it seems I was supposed to be there now, met her on my way to clear out the Ogres, reported back to Zhethrone to that I had done that and that Zephrine was there. On way back out of his chamber his helper woman asked my to go see what Zephrine's intentions are and I get my ass whooped, made it seem like I was supposed to go straight from one to the other.

Oh well, I'll head back to Avadon for now and pick up some other missions.

Thanks

The Intentions quest is to merely survive a few rounds and it isn't easy at level 13. Concentrate on only having one engage her and summoned pets count as having one to soak up damage.

Most of the damage is cold, so high endurance and cold resistance helps. A sorceress with focus mastery is eventually immune to most cold damage.

Right I'm now 59 hours in, all of my people are up to level 25, I've completed just about every other quest and I now found myself back here looking for a dragons tooth and I still think some ones having a laugh.

I'm not doing to badly with the staying alive bit now, I just don't seem to be able to inflict much damage, even with all three people hammering away at 1 of his guardians turn after turn it's health bar has so far moved so little you have to look real close to be sure it's moved at all and then when it just starts to creep down, bam it gets healed.

I've got to be missing something still I hope?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You get a reward and maybe some experience if you aren't doing the fight at level cap.

There is a moral decision between getting an item to help sick people and having to kill a dragon to get the item. After all how would you like it if greedy adventurers kept bothering you for your body parts?

• 2 months later...

I came up with an easy (well, really not quite as hard) strategy for Zephyrine. Basically, take your party to some far away corner of the map; the ogre stronghold in the lower right works well because of the gates. Enter combat, and just send one of the party members to Zephyrine. I used Shima, but anyone would work as long as you have a way to teleport (skill or scarab). Make sure that the party member by Zephyrine is the leader or first member of the party.

Then, end combat and talk to her to start combat with her. Teleport as far away as you can and run/teleport back to the rest of your party. Zephyrine will follow you, and since you haven't damaged her, none of her guardians will be active. Once she gets into the ogre stronghold, close the grates and pull her away from the grates.

Now you can kill her at your leisure, and her guardians will activate but not be able to get to her and heal her. Be warned that once you do kill her, the guardians are still roaming around looking to kill you, so you will have to fight them. If you're lucky, you should finish Zephyrine before they're at the grates and be able to escape. Also, the guardians aren't nearly as tough without Zephyrine hurting you.

One thing to note, is that in doing this, I did not get the dragon tooth until I went back into Zephyrine's normal area. When I did, I then got the message about pulling a tooth. I'm currently doing a singleton playthrough on torment, so I'm going to try this method once I get to level 30 to see if I can do it with only one character.

I was able to do it a few times without any trouble. I kited her without hitting her at all though, so I don't know if that makes any difference. I just got combat started and ran away, so none of the sentinels were active. It could also be that two other party members were across the map at the start of combat, so she was just chasing them and didn't reset because they hadn't moved.

• 2 months later...

Great strategy. I was never able to beat her, even on Normal until I read this.

Also, another note: If you have trouble defeating the guardians even after you kill Zepherine, you can run one of your characters to the exit, leave the area, then come back. The guardians reset to their normal non-hostile selves if you leave, but the dragon stays dead if you kill her. They will just sit in their starting spots and watch you rip out her tooth (I guess they carried her back to her lair, empty her hoard and walk away. So you can actually beat Zephyrine without ever fighting the Guardians!

Thanks to Sarlok! Long live Sarlok! Long live Sarlok!

• 5 years later...

When I try that strategy, the Dragon only says for me to gather my party at it before I recite the message for it. And if I start combat with my party there and then flee, she tells me not to and ends combat. How did you get her to start the combat when two of your party was all the way back at the fort, or have I missed something with the strategy?