Is a 2 or 3 man party possible?

After getting bored with nethergate, I thought since i dont really mind the retroness of the old series, i thought id give avernum 1 a try.

I was thinking of making a party of maybe 3 at most characters. 1-Berserker with toughness trait, that specializes in smashing and taking hits while my other characters can destroy everything else. The berserker will no doubt specialize in taking hits, should i use more hardiness skill or endurance stat? 2-Some sort of custom rogue character that specializes in buff spells and weapons/traps. This character will act as a rogue that hits and evades hits, buffs and heals his companions, and acts as a trap disabler as well. Fast feet trait. 3-the last character might be a hedge wizard that specializes in mage and priest spells that way having a bit of both. I am not sure about this one. I would like to have some kind of mage that can fight, but that is almost an impossibility.

Can anyone that has beaten the 1st avernum shed any light on this. I dont want to change the concept a lot, i might just have to add a character though.

You can get through the game with a single character although you hit the level cap fairly early in the game and then have to rely on skill potions to advance.

The recommended character is the priest tank where you can armor up and buff to fight or use spells to destroy opponents. Mages have trouble without fighters especially since some demons can dumbfound the spellcasters so they can't use spells without items to restore the ability.

Thanks for the info. I happen to have right now a soldier, a rogue/priest and a hedge wizard. I am going to focus the hedge wizard more on mage spells, that way she can still have some basic priest spells, but more firepower. Will that party of three be able to beat the game? Or should i just solo the rogue/priest?

I would say Avernum 1-3 are much easier than Geneforge. So long as you don't catastrophically mismanage your party should have no trouble completing the game (except maybe getting stuck on some quests... but you can ask for help).

That said a full party (4 pcs) will be easiest. I haven't tried with 3 myself but I can't imagine it would be much harder than 4.

The only real problem with smaller parties is carrying the loot back to town to sell. I stopped my singleton game in the Slith lake region after spending over an hour just carrying the loot to Fort Dranlon to sell. No more killing, just picking up items and moving them to the closest merchant.

You mentioned spears. Are spears more worthwhile than melee? It doesnt seem like theres a difference. I overheard a (rumor) that you can attack an enemy from a further distance. I figured it was just a rumor so w/e.

Also can you sometimes learn things that adapt to each character at the training den? That would be really cool if that was in the game.

So far, what i have found out about both the geneforge series and the avernum series, is that the retroness look of the games turns me off at first, but later on-it really grows on me as i grew up still on the early nintendo and supernintendo/sega.

You can't attack further with a pole weapon. Like all two handed weapons they do more damage than one handed weapons.

You can't learn things that adapt to each character. However the traits you select when you create the character will give bonuses or minuses as you increase in levels.

Alright i am now lvl 4 for my 3 man party. Everything is getting a bit easier to understand now. My fighter is good, as is my hedge wizard, however, I am wondering whether i should increase my intelligence or blessing spells for my rogue/priest. He usually hits sometimes twice a round and even though its a bit less damage than the warrior, he is my most versatile character.

I started to read a tip by jeff at the front screen, but i touched my mouse on accident and it was gone. How do the spells work as in level wise. Will adding 1 point to blessing spells really make war blessing and shield and healing give more of a boost? I might just focus on being a minor dual class as i dont want to have what happened to my geneforge char happen to this (jack of all trades, master of none).

The higher levels of the individual spells give extra or different effects. Mage spell Web is considered to be better at level 1 than the higher levels that give paralysis that is usually resisted.

Increasing Mage or Priest spells will increase damage or duration.

More intelligence will give more spell energy so you can cast more spells before running out.

In my experience of playing shaman/elite warrior, rogue shaman/nimble fingers, hedge wizard (priest heavy) and hedge wizard (mage heavy), I have found that early in the game, the weaponry you find has been my greatest weakness. I would concentrate all the good arms and armor on my #1 shaman, and give the hand-me-downs to the rogue shaman. To make up for his weakness in close combat I would up his int a few points in order to carry more spell points. Strength, dexterity, endurance and melee get second priority; I wanted my rogue to be effective when the really good weapons become available.

Is your hedge wizard pure spirit or natural mage?

• 4 weeks later...