Your most ridiculous/ownage characters in avernum?

We all like to make powerplaying characters sometimes don't we? Even without cheating, it's possible to make something absolutely crazy. Or, have something just plain stupid, like minimum endurance but 15 strength, melee and blademaster skill. I'm just curious to see what people have made in avernum.

My most ownage character in A3:

Meowmeow: Has mithril blade, fury crossbow and boots of speed, all 3 of these increase ap by 1. So 9 ap when hasted, enough to attack 3 times on the spot, and 7 ap when not hasted, enough for a spell and an attack. Does almost 200 damage in melee, and has some knowledge of both priest and mage spells.

Most ownage in A3 (with cheats)

100 strength is just stupid. It really is.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Unarmed damage is not capped. You can eventually outdo the mad monks with your feisty slaps of pain.

—Alorael, who doesn't find this especially useful. It is entertaining, though, and it's funny how the engine eventually lets reasonably optimized character builds hit the damage cap wielding sticks so that giving up weapons can become a tactically sound decision. Not often, mind you, but it's less hobbling than you might guess.

How much is the base damage from fists? How much increase per strength point?

Do they benefit from melee or pole skills?

I'd also like to point out the overpoweredness of the hired characters. The first 3 are easy to get early and have many more skill points then characters you can make yourself.

Fists have very low damage. I'm not actually sure what it is, but it's low. They also don't benefit from melee or pole, if I remember correctly. They're just so useless that somehow the cap wasn't applied to them, so they can, if you cheat, become useful.

—Alorael, who thinks the overpowered joinable NPCs are deliberate. They started out in A1 and they've been consistently stronger than you can create yourself.

I tested it and it seems that fists do something like 2-2 damage per level.

Problem is even with strength at 102 ( the max ) you only do around 200 which is the cap with weapons ( and FAR easier to reach using weapons ).

Now i suppose you could count things like elite warrior + beserk + whatever that temp buff from divine touch, however it still wouldn't be THAT much stronger then hitting the cap with a weapon. I estimate that you could get maybe 280 or so damage if you pushed it.

Still not that impressive compared to spells which have no cap and multiple targets.

• 5 weeks later...