Cahil

• 4 months later...
Originally Posted By: daemonblade1229
I really wish there was. So far, I've managed to not bully or oppress anyone, much less some downtrodden old man. So much for my how I was RPing my character...

I concur, I think it's part of a theme RPGs are taking these days; that is: forcing you to make hard choices.

I respect the idea of having us make hard choices because it's an interesting story mechanic and adds to the depth of the game, but a good portion of the time I don't like it because we never get to explain ourselves and people often jump to the easiest conclusion which generally isn't the case and oftentimes I can come up with a much better solution but they simply never give me the choice.

There are two hidden paths leading to Cahil, but I'm pretty sure neither of them are functional until after you coerce the old man :*(

As someone here taught me you better figure out the real proportions of characters in game; they are close to be insignificant in context the opposite way as you feel them big because you are emotionally involved (at least for the first playthrough this is for sure). Then consider that your hard choices are not that relevant because the game is structured to take you to its end even when you miss quests, you refuse them or you pick the "wrong" decisions, in facts there are no wrong decisions but convenient or unconvenient ones. Third point is that you are fooled by more than a character and you know but a portion of the truth about what's going on in Avadon.

I believe it would be better for you to know little and go on with the game, you would maybe enjoy it more in the end smile

All game characters exist only for my pleasure. I will steal from old ladies, slaughter whole villages, make deals and then double-cross my allies, fulfill a quest for someone and kill them after getting the reward, etc. I have done all of these things in Spiderweb games, feeling not even a twinge of guilt because these people are really just a set of tiny electronic switches turned either off or on in a pattern that causes an image to appear on a screen. Nopne of my characters has ever been named Ruth, so all of my parties are ruthless. Sometimes I role-play them by giving them little quirks like the female Nephil that loves shiny things and picks up every piece of jewelry, gem, pretty rock, vase, etc. that she can get her paws on, making a huge pile somewhere. There was also a Human Barbarian who made a carpet of skulls at the portal. However, my characters have never gotten caught up in any kind of moral quandry. They just do whatever seems to give them the best personal outcome.

It makes up for the fact that I'm such a nice guy in real life.

• 2 years later...

I felt no shame in bullying mert. mert had to know that his "protector" was a criminal. mert is the kind of loser who made nazi germany happen. why? because he was more concerned with his own safety than the fact that the tough guy protecting him was an evil man. mert went on and on about how important the stone code was, but then he is willing to let it slide that his protector is a murderous thug. he is a hypocrite and weak. it would have been nice if you could have had more dialouge options where you appeal to the stone code and say that a truly honorable man would not let a murderer get away with murder.

as for RP...most of my PCs in games are thieves but not wanton killers. i don't kill non-hostile npcs. and I don't steal from the lowly once my PC is no longer broke. (robin hood!) so usually a few hours into game I leave most peasants stuff alone. I might even be a hired killer, but usually the people you kill are "players" meaning they are corrupt or powerful people who know what they are doing is dangerous.

I never betray or sell out a guild/ally.once in a while I will play a truly evil character or a really boy scout paladin but that is my default. I never killed a single non hostile npc in skyrim until i wanted to get the achievement for most wanted. then i saved game, did it, and went back to regular game.