Avadon quits during quicksave

Skomer

Avadon keeps quitting on me, always just after I've pressed F3 to quicksave. I have tried the steps below, and while this isn't a game stopper for me it is rather tiresome, so I wonder if anyone has any other suggestions?

Already tried:

Restarting computer

Uninstalling, redownloading, reinstalling

Playing with most minimalistic graphics settings

Playing with no other programs running

Updating sound driver (Realtek HD Audio, updated to 6.0.1.6392)

Can't seem to find a video driver; in any case it's not listed in device manager...

My computer:

Acer Apsire 5315 running Windows Vista SP2

Intel Celeron Processor 1.86 GHz, 1GB RAM

PS: It's Avadon v1.0 since there aren't any other versions yet.

I did try that step and it doesn't help, unfortunately. I have encountered exactly the same issue on my machine (sony vaio running win7 64bit). The good news is, even when it insta-crashes, the save still succeeds. So although it was slightly irritating it didn't prevent me from finishing the game.

(Actually the spontaneous crashes sometimes provided a useful reminder to do other non-Avadon things like eat, go out, etc.)

Edit: I did wonder if it might maybe be connected to windows live mesh?

Deleting the save folders seems to have done the job for me; thank you.

Micawber, I don't think we're having the same problem. I'm assuming Windows Live Mesh is a Windows 7 thing - certainly I'm not running that. Also for me when Avadon crashed during quicksave, most often the save didn't succeed.

Windows Live Mesh is a Windows Live thing, it runs on all my computers (not just the win7 one) and keeps the files in sync. As it is constantly scanning the Documents folder, I wondered if that might cause a conflict in some way, which if unhandled, would cause Avadon to crash. The reason I point the finger is that I also started getting errors during saving when replaying Avernum 6, I didn't get them the first time through, and the main difference since then is WLM.

Then again as the saves always succeed, perhaps it's unrelated and the crash is due to the graphics driver (which I'm unable to update because Sony have locked the card so I can only use drivers they publish, and they haven't published any for >1 year). On second thoughts, that's probably it.