A6 - Possible bug - FABULOUS bug!

TT

I seem to have a bug that will allow me to clone ANY ITEM in my inventory. This works with potions, scrolls, weapons, armor - you name it and I can clone it. Not only that, if the item is stacked, I can either clone n (where n equals any number, tested to 4 digits) instances, or charges in the case of wands, of it or convert a single stacked (or charged) item to n. This will effectively allow you to recharge all wands to a lot more than 6! Please note that this process cannot work for a singleton as it requires 2 party members and a twitchy clicking finger. The only other things you need are a mouse (the keyboard doesn't cut it alone), and a stack of multiple items in one person's inventory and the item you want cloned in the EXACT SAME SLOT in someone else's inventory.

For the purposes of clarity, assume the two party members are Ardous and Mycroft. Each has only 1 slot taken in his inventory. Ardous has nothing but 9 healing potions in the first slot. Mycroft has a speed burst scroll in his. Ardous is greedy and wants scrolls of his own. Or Mycroft is greedy and wants more. Either way, you:

confused Open Ardous' inventory.

whistle Ctrl-click the healing potions.

tired In the "Pick up how many?" window, type the number of clones you want, say 9 (they're rapacious in their greed). Note that cloning a non-stackable item requires you "pick up" only 1. DO NOT HIT ENTER OR PRESS THE GREEN CHECK MARK!!!!!

wink Switch to Mycroft by right-clicking on his avatar.

shocked NOW hit enter or click the green check mark.

That's it! You are now holding 9 speed burst scrolls. Drop them on any character you wish.

There are a few differences depending on what's being cloned, the number of items you originally ctrl-click or the number of charges you already have of an item to be cloned/recharged:

frown You can only hold one weapon at a time (javelins notwithstanding) so would have to clone them one at a time. I accidentally cloned the stained swamp gloves three times by the time I figured out I was exploiting a wicked useful bug.

frown If the item to be cloned is a single instance/charge item, said single item will be replaced by the clone(s) instead of in addition to. This is how you recharge wands, provided you didn't use all of the original charges, of course.

smirk If the original stack you ctrl-click on has double-digit charges and the item to be cloned is also stackable, you can clone up to the number of the original stack. I have a Rod of Alacrity with 1738 charges. (see it here http://www.flickr.com/photos/56679639@N07/ ). I would have tried for a 5-digit charge, but I don't think I can use that many charges at this point in my game. Really wish I'd discovered this earlier, lol.

cry If the item to be cloned has more instances than the number of clones you want, you will reduce the number you already have, in effect not cloning anything at all.

There are probably more little oddities surrounding this bug, but I'm tired of testing and typing and so leave it to you other gamers to try it it yourselves and, if it works, discover the fun to be had by all you other cheaters out there.

Also note - this is WAY better than than the 30k cake money cheat. No script editing! Can't do anything about the Return Life feature of that cheat, but since once you have 1 scroll you can have a thousand the point is moot anyway.

Anyone else? tongue

Originally Posted By: Cabadath
Since Jeff seldom visit the forums you probably should e-mail this bug to him, or much preferably do not notice him tongue

I thought about that last night, and decided I didn't have the right to deny other gamers the opportunity to exploit a bug that's actually USEFUL. This is the first time I've ever discovered a bug in ANY non-beta application, let alone game, that benefits the user. I lose nothing at all by sharing it with the community here. Indeed, this forum has been helpful to me over the years as an information resource. In the past I was just one of any number of Guests looking over the maps, scouring the walkthrough for the location of that pesky hidden switch, and giggling at -Alorael's username changes. Yesterday I found a reason that actually compelled me to reveal my sneaky self because I found a way to recharge wands!

The unlimited potions, scrolls, food & money (not to mention experience since you can clone flawless crystals and bags of meal then pass them off to the needy and XP-generous NPC's) didn't hurt, either.

I really don't think Jeff will remain unaware of this bug, if he actually is, for long if it's in Avadon, too. And since it appears bugs need fixin' over there, the longer it takes for him to find it and take it away the better. I'm going to miss Avernum and am taking my time finishing the finale (I'm only slightly embarrassed I got a little misty at Solberg's passing) and will start Avadon once I've wrung all the bittersweet out of Avernum's passing.

Try shift-click then. Ctrl-click didn't work for me in A5 but shift-click did, and both work for me in A6. Also, make sure you shift-click on a stackable item like potions, scrolls, iron bars, crystals of any kind. As long as it has a number below the item icon, even if it's a 1, it's stackable, except for wands. You can't pick up a wand charge. The item to be cloned is not clicked on since it's in a different character's inventory.

Edit: You can't click on another character with the pick-up window open prior to A6. I did go back and check earlier today just to see.

You can't clone more than the number of the original stacked item at one time. Sometimes it's in addition to what you're cloning, sometimes it replaces what you're cloning, sometimes it's in addition to and increases the number of what you're cloning. To get an additional wand instead of increasing the number of charges, you have to pick a number that's less than the number of charges you currently have. But since you can increase the number of charges you currently have in a wand, splitting a wand just gives you more wands you can recharge, if necessary.

Beautiful Bug , so rich and green,

Waiting in a hot tureen!

Who for such dainties would not hug?

Bug of the evening, beautiful Bug !

Bug of the evening, beautiful Bug !

Beau - ootiful Buu - uug!

Beau - ootiful Buu - uug!

Buu - uug of the e - e - evening,

Beautiful, beautiful Bug !

Beautiful Bug ! Who cares for fish,

Game, or any other dish?

Who would not give all else for two