Personal Climate Change

Actaeon

I have no wish to incite a debate about the science or politics of climate change. I'm just sitting here, reflecting on the oddest spring I've seen in Western Colorado, looking out at beetle kill, and wondering if everyone else has seen things change this much.

So, I know most of you haven't been around THAT long, but...

How's the weather?

Master1 beat me to it. When I was in Massachusetts early this month, it was too hot for long sleeves and, on some days, jeans during the day, but at night it was too cold to be out for a significant period of time without a coat. Then I came back here, and it was hotter without much change at night. It doesn't help that my family only has air conditioners in a couple rooms.

Its not too hot here in Cambridge (UK), we've had dark clouds and rain, light storms for the last few days, was really sunny and nice the week before though. It was so cold ay night last week that i put the heating on..rofl

Over the last few years though, I have noticed hotter summer's, milder winters(normally) there has been the odd bad one.Oh, and the seasons seem to have shifted round slightly as well, weather staying nicer till later in the year and being worse at the start of the year..

Originally Posted By: corallus
UK stuff

In the Midlands we've had fairly nice weather for a while now, except for this weekend (the fact it was a Bank Holiday is reason enough for it to rain though ;)), but I can't really say that it's been any different than the last few years. Winter just gone was pretty terrible, but then I can remember a winter in the early '90s that was worse, and one in the early 2000s that was equally as bad, so I guess it's nothing special.

If it starts chucking it down in July after two weeks of nice weather, we'll know that the climate hasn't changed at all. tongue

Originally Posted By: Tyranicus
It's very hot here in Pennsylvania. It's in the 90s today, and it hasn't been out of the 80s except at night for the last week or so. This is a little warm for this time of the year, but not excessively so. We did have a tornado last week though. That is very rare in this area.

I think there were actually three tornadoes, though I was in hiding in my bathtub for most of that unpleasant storm. I'm not a fan of this weather; and tomorrow it's supposed to be even hotter...

Originally Posted By: Lt. Sullust
I think there were actually three tornadoes, though I was in hiding in my bathtub for most of that unpleasant storm. I'm not a fan of this weather; and tomorrow it's supposed to be even hotter...

Yeah, I saw that. I'm not looking forward to it. My air conditioners weren't enough to cool down the house today.

I just mentioned it in the school thread, but it's perhaps more fitting here. My school district (Maryland does them as each county is a single district) was released 3 hours early for the heat and humidity. The threshold is supposedly 90°F by 11am. I honestly didn't think today was as bad as it could have been. And they've already called tomorrow at 3 hours early dismissal.

Being a young'un and all, and not having been born in these parts, I don't know how normal this is. What isn't normal is the dearth of AC in schools. If sending every kid in the district home 3 hours early happens multiple times a year due to heat, maybe they should stop repaving roads and spend some money on AC for us kids.

We have AC in our schools here in Pennsylvania...

I'm not surprised at all, especially seeing as direct current is only used in batteries and smaller circuits nowadays- ComEd and the big power companies delivering to schools and homes and businesses all do AC.

Originally Posted By: Master1
What isn't normal is the dearth of AC in schools. If sending every kid in the district home 3 hours early happens multiple times a year due to heat, maybe they should stop repaving roads and spend some money on AC for us kids.

Waste of money. Everyone knows that school air conditioning are only allowed to operate in the winter. tongue

Dikiyoba.

Master1, the letting out early for a lack of air conditioning in Maryland seems to be a normal thing. I remember it happening for me as far back as elementary school, and there was one time in high school where we were let out early, then our principal said no, it didn't seem hot enough because she had air conditioning in her office and all the kids whose parents hadn't gotten them yet were herded back to class for about a half an hour before people came to their senses. They wouldn't even let one guy out to get his saxophone that had been left on the street while he went to find a ride(the people he'd asked to watch it hadn't brought it inside when they'd been told to come back).

We use fans a lot, along with our AC, allowing us to keep the AC on the low side. As for school, I only remember getting it off because of heat a few time, I may be wrong, but I think it has to get over 100 here in Indy, and the only AC in school I had was the computer room and principal's office, and two buildings in High School, one cause it contained the Deans, Councilors and admissions offices(basically all the administration), and the other was the Library, other than that, there were the occasional odd rooms with AC in the other buildings, for various reasons.

Originally Posted By: people
Stuff/Air conditioning

My high school has an old and a new wing. The old wing has window air conditioning units for computer labs, libraries, and admin offices. The new wing is all climate controlled. 4 years ago, right before I moved, the middle school that I attended for a year got a new HVAC system. Or rather, a new HV system and a new set of HVAC ducts. They seriously put in AC ducts for the whole school and neglected to put in an actual cooling unit.

Originally Posted By: Impudent Strumpet!
Originally Posted By: Randomizer
In Chicago they just opened a window for air conditioning.

We just took off one of our jumpers for air conditioning in England.
I work at a pizza place; for our air conditioning, we stand by the oven.

Actually, we do have air conditioning, but it breaks down at least once a year, and the management usually doesn't bother to "fix" it until late September.

Originally Posted By: Android
Here in Iceland spring has been rather cold. I planted an oak, a linden tree, a cherry tree and a red leaved maple last summer and now they've all died in the nIghttime frosts in May.

perhaps if you want a place with warm weather you should go to Fireland instead

I live in Louisiana Which is a southern US state along the gulf. The summer 90's are consider the norm and we have a high humidity (which makes it so much worse). Day's that reach 100's are not rare. August and may are the most miserable months of the year to attend school and we don't close school down because it gets a little hot.

God help you if your air conditioning broke down. Even the oldest schools in the poorest and smallest towns had air conditioning. Its pretty much considered a necessity.

When ever I hear supporters of year round school I can't fail to think back to my days riding a hot miserable school bus stuck in traffic in the months of may and august. They won't put air conditioning school buses until some poor kid dies of heat stroke.

I just found out that it's not just the public schools in Maryland that are being stingy with air conditioning. My sister works at one of the universities here and told me that the only reason her building was air conditioned was because it was the one with the servers in it. Labs in other buildings had to go without.

Originally Posted By: Trenton Uchiha, rebel servile.
Terra del fugo, on the bottom of south africa, means Land Of Fire, Though I have no idea what's hot about it. I mean, its directly north of the south pole!

So is every other location on the earth. tongue

Also, Tierra del Fuego is an archipelago off the coast of the southern tip of South America, not Africa.

Originally Posted By: Trenton Uchiha, rebel servile.
Terra del fugo, on the bottom of south africa, means Land Of Fire, Though I have no idea what's hot about it. I mean, its directly north of the south pole!

So is every other location on the earth. tongue

Also, Tierra del Fuego is an archipelago off the coast of the southern tip of South America, not Africa.

typo, I knew it was off of south America.