Simple Question

Firecage

My first adventure game was Adventure, aka Colossal Cave. This was strictly a text based game played on a terminal hooked up to the universities main frame computer. It was so popular that they had to restrict it to being played from 6:00 to midnight when they closed the computer center.

I was also writing programs in FORTRAN and keying them on 80-column punch cards.

Trenton, I haven't thought about those good times for quite a long while. Thanks for bringing a breath of fresh air to these forums.

I'm sure it was, at some point, socially acceptable to play chess. Maybe back when Capablanca was alive. But it was once!

Oh, and keep in mind this was in the decade after Fischer single-handed defeated the Soviet Union's chess machine, which was just about the only time chess was "mainstream" enough to be widely socially acceptable. So I stand by my point it was flirting on the edge at the time.

Adults are more socially accepting than children, generally, and children accept the foibles of adults because they're adults and therefore inherently inexplicable and either vaguely pitiable or really cool.

—Alorael, who was into chess until he realized he was too into it to play without any skill but not into it enough to actually learn all the openings.

Originally Posted By: Micawber
If you're going to use that line at age 12, imagine how ancient I feel being nearly three times as old frown

It could be some new slang. Preteens and teenagers are always coming up with novel and ridiculous ways to say things.

Is Dikiyoba allowed to feel old in this thread? Not like ancient or anything, but just old?

Originally Posted By: CRISIS on INFINITE SLARTIES
Chess was never truly socially acceptable in, say, high school. Was it socially acceptable for professional chess players? Sure, but role playing is also socially acceptable for professional actors.

The Iceland match was aired lived on PBS. The sports channel of nerds. You have to be an adult to consider it socially acceptable.

Quote:
Chess was never truly socially acceptable in, say, high school.

Maybe not to most kids in high school, but I was the co-captain of our high school chess team, and that was (just) before the Fischer-Spassky match in (all together now) Reykjavik Iceland. Maybe that's why I became a computer programmer??! Oh my aching head.

Quote:
I admit I am not that socially well-adjusted... Infact I'm hated in my school.

Trenton, I thoroughly understand. It ain't no fun being a geek in junior or high school. In small towns in Texas (back in the '70s), the student body was divided into four groups; the "In crowd" (cheerleaders, football players), the ropers, the dopers, and the people of color. I fit into none of those groups. I felt I was the one not "Socially well-adjusted".

College was better because there I found more people who were serious about learning. From there, it was just a matter of picking my way through the job market until I landed my dream job. Today, I work with a dozen really talented people who all believe strongly in team work.

Working at a job you truly enjoy is like having a life's paid vacation.

Keep your chin up, do nothing of which you would be ashamed of, keep your wits about you, and you will do just fine.

I, on the other hand, was very skinny back then, and not very athletic. Bullies like to pick on someone weaker than they are. PE was the worst period for that. To get out of PE I enrolled in band. Played clarinet for 6 years, and really enjoyed it, especially during football halftimes. Lunch time was chess club tournament play in the cafeteria.

The best thing I found that discourages bullies, is to just ignore them. They all suffer from an inferiority complex, so therefore they have to do something to make them feel superior. By ignoring them you A) make it less interesting to pick on you and B) make them feel that they really are less important than you are.

As to your weight, it takes more than a bit of discipline, but if you truly want to get it under control, you can do it if you put your mind to it. I would recommend that you make the attempt. A year and a half ago, one of my co-workers died of heart failure. He had been very heavy all his life, but when he was diagnosed with diabetes, he became strongly motivated to correct the problem. He was doing very well, had lost 50 lbs, and was getting his diabetes under control. But the damage to his heart was already done. He was only 53 years old.

This event has revised my philosophy about life. Every day is a blessing. Live in it to the fullest, and be sure to let the people you love in life know it. You never know when your last day will be.

What ever you do it should be something you enjoy. Otherwise you will not be able to stick with it. Not only was I not physically cut out for athletics, my mind was simply not motivated in that direction. Band suited me well. I was engaged mentally and emotionally as well as physically. Riding a bicycle was also good exercise as well as transportation. Later when I joined ROTC in college I discovered another activity that I was quite adept at; land navigation or, as the sport is known, orienteering. I'll let you Google that one on your own.

Most importantly, don't worry about what other people think of you. As long as you are doing the best you can with the abilities you have, you have nothing to be ashamed of. Be honest with yourself, as well as with others. If your interest lies in the hard sciences, go there. Or the arts, or where ever your heart and talent lead. You will always be able to find people who have similar interests with whom you can share experiences.

One question I am asked frequently is, What does it take to be a good programmer? To their surprise, the answer I give is NOT mathematics, but rather I tell them to study languages. Understanding math problems and arriving at a numerical solution is more about understanding two languages and being able to convert from one to the other. Programming is no different. You are translating a problem presented to you in English and translating it into some language the computer understands. Having a skill for logical reasoning, being able to take apart the problem presented to you into its basic parts, and reassembling it again in the other language is also a must.

I always get a tremendous feeling of satisfaction when someone approaches me with a problem, and with a magical flourish of flying fingers over the keyboard, I turn his problem into a solution, and his frown into a smile.

Originally Posted By: CRISIS on INFINITE SLARTIES
actually hated, or just unpopular? there is a big difference.

Both actually. Sorry I didn't see your post earlier, was responding to harehunter.

Originally Posted By: Harehunter
Riding a bicycle was also good exercise as well as transportation.

I used to have a bicycle but the tire popped and my parents don't have enough money to get it fixed frown Besides I have no where to go anyways. My parents still think I'm too young to leave the street. The only thing intresting around my area is a park with a lake. But I cant leave my street area. It sucks. I keep telling my mom I'm mature enough to do things like go out on my own and cook or stay home alone and stuff like that. It's always "You are simply too young to go out past the street. Maybe later" witch really bothers me...

Post # 450 smile

frown Sigh! These times, they be a'changing. frown

When I was your age, back in late '60s, I could be gone for hours without causing my mother any concern. I just had to check in a couple of times a day. And the closest we had to cell phones back then were the props used in the original Star Trek series.

As for bicycle repairs, that was my responsibility. All I needed money for was a patch kit, or possibly just a new tube, a few tools (first my dad's, and then later I bought some with my allowance), a hand pump, and 30 minutes later I was cruising the neighborhood. At first it took longer until I had learned how to do it right.

One other thing I thought of this morning that I enjoyed; tennis is a good individual sport for the summer. I would spend hours practicing against the back board, until I got good enough to take on other players.

I'm trying to think of ways you can show your mom that you are mature enough for a little freedom. Try volunteering to help with the chores around the house; dusting, vacuuming, washing dishes. I don't know if you are doing these things already. Seeking to take more responsibility than your parents ask of you is a sure way to gain respect from them.

Sounds like you might startle the heck out them.

When I was growing up, I always had assigned chores. I did them without being told to. Yes, I got an allowance as well, but I would have done those chores anyway, out of love for my family. I learned that taking responsibility will earn you respect. With the respect you earn more freedom of access and the opportunity to take on more responsibility. By reaching for that additional responsibility, the respect grows, and the opportunity to advance grows. That is how I got the dream job I have now. I absolutely love what I do, and I am being paid well to do it.

People who succeed in life do so by working for it. And with success comes pride in a job well done. And what works in building a career works better with personal relationships.

I have been married for 27 years. I treasure the relationship I have with my wife. How do I keep her around? I take every opportunity to help her out. She asks why, and I simply say "I love you". I never take her for granted. One Christmas many years ago I gave her a carpet cleaning machine. But that was not the gift. The gift is that it clean the carpets, but she does not have to use it. Every time I take it out of the closet and clean the carpets, I tell my wife "Happy Christmas". It's the gift that keeps on giving.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: Arch-Mage Solberg
I agree with the vastness of Exile 1's demo. You can easily get up to 20 hours of playtime before you've done absolutely everything you are able.
And you did all that in one session, I trust. wink

Seriously though, E1's demo is (self-censored) HUGE; you can go just about everywhere in the eastern half of the game. I sincerely doubt there are too many other games with that big of a demo area.
Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Originally Posted By: Micawber
If you're going to use that line at age 12, imagine how ancient I feel being nearly three times as old frown

It could be some new slang. Preteens and teenagers are always coming up with novel and ridiculous ways to say things.
Yeah, like "Don't trust anyone over 30." Remember that one? tongue (Actually, I think they were in their twenties when they said this, but still...)

Originally Posted By: The Mystic
Originally Posted By: Arch-Mage Solberg
I agree with the vastness of Exile 1's demo. You can easily get up to 20 hours of playtime before you've done absolutely everything you are able.
And you did all that in one session, I trust. wink

Seriously though, E1's demo is (self-censored) HUGE; you can go just about everywhere in the eastern half of the game. I sincerely doubt there are too many other games with that big of a demo area.

Other games claimed that the demo was half the game, but lied. Exile 1: Escape from the Pit is the only game that I know of that its demo truly is half of the game. (And that goes for other Spiderweb games)

Post #560 cool

If you go back in time, there are definitely other shareware CRPGs from the late 80s / early 90s that had half the game available prior to registering. I can't think of any that were as large as Exile 1, but the I remember that the 50% mark did not seem at all unusual when I played Exile.