Avernum 6 - Walkthrough in Italian

Superba

I meant to give useful information for those that like me are Italians and play Avernum... to answer your strange question: I can read English enough to communicate as it is the international language to do that, and I like to communicate.

If it was Chinese or Portoguese I'd be able to read in those languages as well. But when I come to instructions it would be just silly to read them in a language that is not mine, when the alternative is at disposal. I guess you would do the exact same in my place :-)

Quote:
strange question

What about that was strange?

Quote:
for those that like me are Italians and play Avernum

Does Jeff even write the games in differant languages?

Quote:
If it was Chinese or Portoguese I'd be able to read in those languages as well

How many languages can you speak?!!?!

Quote:
I guess you would do the exact same in my place :-)

True I would. My natural language is mine and its calling to me were ever I go. Right know I only know english

I think your last line answer your first question :-) than we might agree on that.

Due to my lack of English knowledge you misunderstood about the languages I speak, I wanted to say that when the international language to communicate were Chinese or Portoguese I would have learned them. Actually, I read Italian, French, German and English. Speaking is way more difficult.

But not to avoid your question, that was a strange one to me because it was a bit patronizing, or however this is my impression. When I'm wrong, please let me know.

I did when I was younger and I learned languages at school. The most stressing thing in speaking another language, rather than reading it, is when you have a large vocabulary of terms in your language but a considerable smaller one in the other language, so you slow down talking to choose the right words, then you become embarassed, and a conversation presume you want to understand someone elses words, so you need to concentrate both on your words and his/hers, this may not be easy. That's why I say it is much easier to read another language than speak it.

I thoroughly understand what you mean. I find that it is far easier to read than speak a second language. One thing that helps is seeing the word spelled, rather than trying to interpret phonemes. Look at the French language, how it is spelled vs how it is pronounced. "eaux" = 'o' as in 'go'. Good heavens! And by seeing how a word is spelled, at least with the Romance languages, you can see similarities with words in another language and easily get the meaning of it.

The only real solution is to use the other language enough until you can 'think' in it, rather that trying to 'translate' to it. By that I mean don't think in your own language then translate to the other. But again this takes time and study in order to build up your vocabulary in the second language.

Good luck with your travels and your studies in language.