Any way to avoid destroying Dhorl Stead?

Mah Al Ibara

When you return to deal with Lord Castra'Arl you have some dialog choices when talking to the Runners. Pick the ones that give them a chance to leave. That gives the "best" ending of all the endings for Dhorl Stead.

By this point in the game you don't need the experience and you can loot some places after they flee. smile

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
There's probably a less engine-abusing way to get around the warriors in Dhorl Stead...

You can take the path that goes around the village to the north-west. You will have to fight some soldiers at the northern bridge and at the castle gate, but you still get the preferred ending.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
There's probably a less engine-abusing way to get around the warriors in Dhorl Stead, but Dikiyoba just exited the zone to the west and then zone-jumped to Ogrhym'Tor. You still have to kill everyone in the fortress, but the actual townspeople will get a decent ending.

This is the simplest and most logical answer. I would never choose to violently engage civilians, unless my aim was to pillage and burn. IIRC, there is nobody left in the castle, except those who you are intended to fight.

Just leave the portal and head due west. Return the same way. I would never have thought to take the long way.

The conversation options allow for some non-violent looting, but there is little value at this stage of the game.