shortswords vs broadswords?

noting

All weapons use the same action points. The only differences are pole weapons and staves are two-handed and the rest are one-handed, some weapons are class restricted, and then there are damage and weight differences. Also heavier weapons have better damage multipliers.

Lighter swords are only useful to avoid encumberance when you are starting out and low on strength. But in general maximize damage unless there is a really nice bonus with the weapon.

Originally Posted By: Marak
Also, the best stat in the game is generally "+ % Physical/Magic Damage", which is another reason why Broadswords, etc. are superior. Most of them grant 10% more damage vs. the 5% that lighter one-handed weapons typically give you.

I've been thinking about this...
The damage listed on a weapon (or skill) takes into account the chars abilities (and skills). However, it does not include +%dmg, right?
So to calculate this dmg one needs to add the +% to the avg dmg manually. How is this done, exactly?

Related, but different; 5%dmg(or armor)/level at skill level 4 gives what? 20% og 4x5% added as you would 4 pieces of armor with 5%?

Skills that give some bonus per level are summed before they modify. So yes, 5% damage per level is 20% at level 4. (The analogy to armor would be 1.05^4, which is actually higher than 20%.)

The percent bonus damage just modifies every attack, I believe. You can take the damage range the game gives you and multiply the lower and upper ends by your +X% and get your true minimum and maximum damage.

—Alorael, who used short swords until he found broadswords. That's about it.

Originally Posted By: Sempiternity... at what price?
The percent bonus damage just modifies every attack, I believe. You can take the damage range the game gives you and multiply the lower and upper ends by your +X% and get your true minimum and maximum damage.

How about several sources of +%dmg - how are they added together?

Actually, that's a good question. I'm not sure. I'd guess that they're still additive before they modify your damage, but I don't know.

—Alorael, who believes Jeff picked iterative armor percentages so that even very high armor can't make you immune to damage. There's no such risk with weapons, and in fact iterating only makes many small bonuses adding up to X more effective than one X bonus.

I wondered about that. Then I did the math and discovered that even with all sources of percentile damage bonuses — including weapons, other equipment, passive skills, blessings, and backstab — the difference in damage output of sum-and-apply versus apply-each-in-turn is relatively small.