How popular is BoE these days?

AndyLandy

Hi guys, I'm fairly new here (or at least haven't been tremendously involved here until now) and I was just wondering how popular Blades of Exile still is these days?

Reason I ask is I've been meaning to build my own scenario for as long as I can remember, but I'm curious to know whether there's much of a community out there who'd be interested in playing new ones.

I respect Avernum for what it is, but I never really got into it, the charm and simplicity of the original Exile games really does it for me.

Has the open-sourcing of Blades breathed new life into this once-great community?

Unfortunately... I don't think so.

I think the problem is twofold:

1. There few new scenarios, because

2. Scenarios are difficult and slow to produce

I've also intended to build a scenario for a while (something featuring bioengineering and wire-fu). I've tried to get started a few times, and I've always run into the same stumbling block: the Scenario Editor is actually quite hard to use. You know how, with a programming language and a text editor, you can always look at the functions or classes or whatever? And if you're using a good IDE, you can also get an outline in a little frame somewhere? Well in BoE there's none of that. No flow chart or such for special nodes, no SDF viewer at all. Unless I'm missing something huge, the only way to keep track of your scenario is to keep really extensive notes. You basically work blind.

It's kind of a shame, because BoE (IMO) provides a better gameplay experience than Blades of Avernum.

I personally think BoE is on the way out. Since I started showing up (around march 2008) there's been a lot of work on the game and editors, but little work on scenarios. I've released two (one should never, ever be played), but other than that, there's been maybe five other scenarios released, tops.

All things are relative...

Although Games of this style have been left in the dust by the iphones, itablets and i can't stand much more, some of us "Old Folks" still appreciate them and wish more of you "Young'uns" would use the BoE Platform as a learning experience to make a few more scenarios.

I have absolutely no ability as a writer, but find Games of this Level much more enjoyable than the excessive graphics without any real Story-Line.

IMNSHO: Some of the people who have written Scenarios here have shown real talent as writers and real understanding as humanitarians. Hopefully, they've used that talent as they've moved on and left this Community.

I can only say that for the foreseeable future there will be at least one who will appreciate any new Scenarios submitted along with all the existing ones.

Thanks for listening,

me

Originally Posted By: It's a trap
...there's been maybe five other scenarios released, tops.
Blame it on mankind's inability to finish something that takes hard work to do alone. If it weren't for that, I, as well as many others I'm sure, would have made plenty scenarios. The only man that has ever been able to finish (?) a scenario series with over five parts is Alcritas. You rock, man.

re: "You rock, man."

It took me a while to learn how to play the BoE Scenarios, but once I did, I started making Walk-Throughs for most of the ones I played. There is a small group, to my liking, that I have played again several times.

I have gone through "The Arc" more than a few times. Like any good literary work, it seems to be better each time you read it. There are always a few things that you either didn't catch the first time through, or had forgotten.

Although there are some really good Scenarios in the Archives, I think everyone would agree that Al has done an exceptional job and that what he has done is far and above simple Game Scenarios. Personally, I consider it/them a Literary Classic.

me

I have to cast my vote to Tatterdemalion as one of the best BoE scenarios. The selection of your party's class (fighter, priest, or mage) forces you to re-think your strategy and you learn how to better use the skills associated with your chosen class. I have always played with a combined arms team where each PC has more than one skill set.

Tatterdemalion is well worth re-playing at least three times, just so that you can play all three scenarios. Then re-play it again three times more just to practice your new found strategies.

Tatterdemalion was one of Tarl Kudrick's, if I remember correctly. There's a name I've not heard in a while. smile

So, yeah, my original post was more along the lines of "If I finish my BoE scenario, is it worth releasing? Would anyone want to play it?"

It's still a long way off, but it's coming along slowly. I might just finish it for my own sake, but if people want to play, I'd consider releasing it somewhere.

The basic premise is it's set a few years after Exile III and you are a band of adventurers who have been living on the surface but are hired by the Empire to head back into Exile to help sort some unrest.

I loved the whole Exile concept and was a little bit disappointed that E3 didn't really have you in 'the pit' any more, so I wanted to create a scenario that was faithful to the earlier games.

Again, if you release it, I'll play it... and I'm reasonably certain that there are some others who will, too.

Tatterdemalion was one of the first Scenarios that I played. I've always felt, and recommended, that it be the first that any newcomer to the Community play.

Any Scenario can be played with various Party Styles, but this Scenario was designed, specifically, to learn the advantages and disadvantages of each type of Party Character.

me

P.S. I think it only fitting that it was also the winner of the first Scenario Contest.

You do remember correctly.

As to whether your scenario will draw attention, I would have to say with strong certainty, Yes it will.

I was surprised by how much traffic this site gets 13 years after the first SW game came out. I was drawn back into the SW community when Silver's web site went down, and I was able to re-host his beautiful work on my own web page. I am happy that I am able to give back to the community from which I have received so much enjoyment.

As to where to post your scenario, if you don't have a page, Gizmo's True Site for Blades is a good place to start. I would be happy to post a link to it.

Don't feel bad about it. I've never made anything worth playing. Something about being too bloody lazy to finish anything(or learn how to use advanced scenario editor features either).

Now I mostly get my RPG fix from the Pathfinder RPG mixed with some other d20 material, including homebrew material, though I sometimes dust off a Geneforge or one of the Exiles while I wait for the tabletop to start.

If some of the modifications to BoE that I've read about here were made, people might have a reason to actually try to make BoE scenarios again. I would like that, cause I, & a few others, like the overall feel of Exile over Avernum.

The current 9th on the top posters list is definitely TM. Tarl Roger Kudrick was a big name in the early days of the Blades community (the late 90's), which precede these forums by several years. I don't think he was ever active on these boards. Actually, I'm not sure if he was ever on these boards at all.

• 5 weeks later...

I still play BoE all the time. I designed several scenarios, although only the last two are probably decent. Plenty of BoE players would like new scenarios, as would I.

I actually was working on another scenario before I started the last one I made, but it was lost to hard drive failure. Not sure whether I will start working on it again or should just make a different one. I haven't touched the scenario editor for quite a long while.

Hopefully I'll dust off the BoE scenario editor and make something new soon. It might be small though.

Anyway, there's still plenty of players who prefer BoE over BoA. After all, BoE is now open source, so anyone can just pick up a copy for free.

I really like the fact that BoE has many scenarios out that are pretty good. There's always room for more.

I found BoA clumsy and the graphics rather annoying. BoE may be 2-D and rather 1990s, but what difference does it make when we're fighting or thinking through a scenario? Only thing I wish is the ability to make the screen of BoE a little bigger without toggling my monitor each time I play. Still, glad to see BoE live on!

• 1 month later...

It might not be popular but it's 2011 and I'm just getting back into it. Age and modern games won't change how I've always loved this classic RPG. the 2D is what makes this game what it is and i don't like avernum myself, i am sure lots of fans did like it but to me it just isn't blades and the graphics didn't really buy me at all, i didn't like those semi 3D graphics but yes they needed to move on but for me the classic is where my heart is