Geneforge Endings [spoilers]

Hi all,

I just finished my first ever playthrough of Geneforge, after having randomly discovered the series and spiderweb software. Great game! I played as a shaper and experimented with a few different endings--I allied with the Obeyers, and tried the endings for both helping/tricking Trajkov and using/not using the Geneforge.

I wish I had time to replay the game and try different paths, see what happens if I help Goettsch, etc., but I've already spent too much time on the game, and Geneforge 2 beckons.

I came here to ask if anyone has ever made an effort to compile a list of all the different choices that affect the ending, and what the different possible endings are. I haven't found such a thing using my internet searching skills. Having played the game through once already, I'd love to have this spoiled for me.

I'm also curious what the "canon" ending is. I've gotten far enough in Geneforge 2 to have encountered Dayna, and the version of events she describes seems unlike the endings I got. I've read that none of the endings you can actually get in Geneforge perfectly reflects the canon in later games, but I'd like to know what that is.

I believe that the "canon" ending is that the PC did not use the Geneforge, killed trajkov and probably Goettsch too, and fled the island to alert the shaper council. G2 doesn't really go into details, just that the PC told the council, and then they sent shapers, Zackary and Barzhal included, to clean up the island. What events actually transpired there, or how the shapers handled the remaining Sholai, is unknown.

As far as other endings, I can't tell you any, and as far as I know, there is no list. I think the text is not included in the graphics for the endgame.

Originally Posted By: Mod.
As far as other endings, I can't tell you any, and as far as I know, there is no list. I think the text is not included in the graphics for the endgame.

Essentially, the pattern of "canon" endings boil down to unaligned loyalist, possibly aligned loyalist, rebel, rebel non-Trakovite, no canon ending for 1-5 respectively.

Originally Posted By: Sage of Numenor
Geneforge 4 is studiously silent about the G3 PC's alignment

The PC's fate is unknown, but it's reasonable to assume that the PC joined the rebels. Everything we learn about the Ashen Isles in G4 matches the rebel ending of G3, and the rebels would have needed the PC's help to pull it off.

Dikiyoba.

Except that previous "canonical" endings have sometimes not been one of the available options and have mixed and matched. Personally, I think the comments made by Greta, Alwan, and Litalia all support the Monarch hypothesis. Not strong support, but better support than any other hypothesis gets.

I thought G2 was the only game that relied on a made-up ending, and only because Jeff didn't really have a sequel in mind when he wrote G1.

Besides, there's no reason the PC couldn't have been allied with the rebels during G3 and then run off to become Monarch in the intervening time.

Dikiyoba.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Everything we learn about the Ashen Isles in G4 matches the rebel ending of G3...

Not quite. There is the small detail of Khyryk's being alive in G4, something not possible if the PC in G3 ends up a rebel.

Alas that Khyryk disappeared in G5 - he was cool.

Originally Posted By: Triumph
Everything we learn about the Ashen Isles in G4 matches the rebel ending of G3...

Not quite. There is the small detail of Khyryk's being alive in G4, something not possible if the PC in G3 ends up a rebel.

Alas that Khyryk disappeared in G5 - he was cool.

Died, more like it. Last we saw him, he was deep in Rebel territory; specifically, Drakon held lands. Aside from its equivalent on the loyalist side of the continent, that is probably the most dangerous place for a Trakovite to be.

I could imagine him surviving, though. Litalia, in G5, mentions that she let the peaceful Trakovites go on their way peacefully. If anyone was to be the leader of that sect of Trakovites that split off, it would be Khyryk.

True, but the great majority of the details (Rahul & Anjali's deaths, rebel control of the Ashen Isles, survival of Akhari Blaze, etc.) suggest that the G3 PC went rebel, rather than Shaper or immediately crazy.

Also, seconded on Dikiyoba's point that there's no reason the G3 PC couldn't become Monarch after the events of G3. There are about seven years between G3 and G4, after all.

Originally Posted By: Sage of Numenor
Geneforge 4 is studiously silent about the G3 PC's alignment

The PC's fate is unknown, but it's reasonable to assume that the PC joined the rebels. Everything we learn about the Ashen Isles in G4 matches the rebel ending of G3, and the rebels would have needed the PC's help to pull it off.

Dikiyoba.

What we know implies that Greta filled that role.

It still seems to me that the simplest conclusion is that

1) the PC went nuts, freaking out both Alwan and Greta,

2) Greta joined the rebels and accomplished much of what the PC might have

3) Alwan remained loyalist and accomplished less, which is pretty much in keeping with the G3 theme of well-resourced but incompetent shaper overlords versus resourceful rebels living in the shadows.

Because I like connecting the dots, I'll point out that the G3 PC could also be Monarch, or the G5 PC, or both of them.

Well, there are essentially rebellious serviles on Sucia Island in G1, though there are no Shapers around for them to fight (initially...). Those serviles basically plant the seeds of rebellion that grow in G2 and start to really bear fruit in G3 with the outbreak of all out war that continues until G5. In terms of the the "rebellion" in the organized sense that it appears in G3-G5, Ghaldring was the creator.

I've recently been playing around with G1 endings, and tried the following:

SPOILERS, DUH!

• Help Trajkov -- good ending as his second-in-command.
  • Kill Trajkov, use forge, destroy it -- you're a god.
  • Kill Trajkov, use forge, keep it -- massive world war.
  • Kill Trajkov, don't use it, destroy it -- you're respected.

I was unaligned, and did not kill any of the faction leaders. I didn't notice a difference between killing Goettsch and merely stealing his gloves, and I didn't keep a save before stealing them.

I just finished G2 last night. Tried some different endings---unaligned, Loyalist, and Awakened, all with 0 canister use.

The first ending I did was unaligned. I got a pretty weird result in the ending text.

Click to reveal..
Finally, you finish telling your tale. Now that you have said it, it seems strangely incomplete, as if you didn’t achieve very much in the mountains after all.

Finally, you finish telling your tale. You describe the destruction of Barzhal and the leaders of the Takers. Much to your relief, they seem impressed.

Seems like possibly a bug to get both of those, since they start with the same sentence. Anyone know what leads to the first paragraph? When I did the unaligned ending, I killed all the folks mentioned in paragraph 2, but didn't sabotage any research facilities or anything that the aligned endings typically ask for. Is that it, maybe?

Also, I'm kinda curious to try a Barzite game, but don't plan on replaying G2 right now. I keep reading around these forums that the Barzites are "awesome." Any particular reason why? Is it just because they're the best faction for powergaming?