MissingNo.-esque graphics glitch

Pig Catapult

So, at first I thought that this was just an isolated incident from one or two scenarios, since I first ran into it in two scenario I hadn't played before. Then it just kept popping up.

BladesofAvernummissingno.png

Basically, I'm running into monsters that have had their sprites replaced with junk that looks like it's from the editor menus. If one of them dies, Blades throws an unhandled exception and crashes, presumably because it's unable to play a death animation for them.

This only started happening recently, after I picked the game back up from a period of not having played in a while. The only change I recall having ever made to the graphics files was creating a file that didn't previously exist to get around a single glitched tile in DwtD's overworld that caused crashes due to being unable to render from a file that wasn't there.

Does anyone know what's going on here or how to fix it?

What's going on here, on the surface anyway, is that the game is pulling graphics for those creatures from the wrong sheets. The incorrect ones it's using are the ones of automap icons, apparently, and I'd assume that the crashing is because death animation frames are on the bottom row of creature graphic sheets and the automap graphic sheets are small enough that the game ends up trying to grab data from off of the bottom of the sheet.

As for what's causing this, I'm not sure. Which scenarios are affected, and which objects (creatures, items, terrain) show problems? (I'll look into the example from your screenshot, but a sense of the larger pattern might help.) Does the problem go away if you just re-download the scenarios? (I doubt it will, but it would be nice if it would.) From the mention of unhandled exception errors, I assume you're on Windows?

I'm using Windows XP. The only things that seem to be being affected are creatures.

The first scenario I encountered it on was that ghost ship one; the monster that attacked you once you and the NPC lady got out of the prison level of the ship did that. That was the only time I've actually killed one of these things, but after that I didn't really want to try.

The other one was. . . I don't remember the name of it, but I think it was by TM. It was the one where it required that you have someone in the first PC slot, and it starts with your camp being attacked by a group of nephilim and everyone but you gets oneshotted in a cutscene. All of the attacking nephlim sprites were messed up like that in the cutscene, and I didn't bother playing it further after that (I used the editor to pull my party out of the scenario).

The invulnerable creature from Emerald Mountain also was affected.

I'd played both Emerald Mountain and Echoes: Renegade before and hadn't had this problem.

And, having just reinstalled Emerald Mountain and dashed through to find that immortal monster, it's still broken.