The coming Avernum rewrites

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Shelagh

Yeah, no. It floored me because it was so dumb and stupid, not because I never knew which enemies used which weapons in this game, but thanks for the thought.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Serendipity Knife was in E3 - on an island in the north of Krizsan province. Maybe it was just a diamond dagger though, I dunno...

Nope it was a Diamond Dagger. Having been playing through E3 and having just beat it a couple days ago, I can say that with some fair certainty. And if you want me to double check, I can go run through the E3 Editor real quick to see if it has a Serendipity Knife, although I'm 90% certain it doesn't. It does, however, have DemonSlayer, which wasn't anywhere in E3 at all(but was placed in Rentar's Keep in A3, for whatever reason. Me I'd have stuck it somewhere a bit more potentially useful, like, say, in a secret area in the Tower of Magi only accessible during the attack.) It also has an Adamantine Axe, also seen nowhere in E3.

Originally Posted By: Necris Omega
I was half expecting to see a Fork of Horripilation reference rise out of that last page, but hey, everyone loves the Tick.

I don't.

I wouldn't mind a Fork of Horripilation somewhere in Avernum though. Or being able to bake bread with the blood of someone's dead father and then feed it to them.

Yeah I don't think the Avernum engine can handle that sort of thing, unless you use a tongs image while making the item technically a ring or an amulet and then equip it that way.

I have not actually made any BoA scenarios though, so I will happily be proven wrong if I am in fact wrong on my guess.

Originally Posted By: Kyronea
Originally Posted By: Shelagh

Yeah, no. It floored me because it was so dumb and stupid, not because I never knew which enemies used which weapons in this game, but thanks for the thought.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Serendipity Knife was in E3 - on an island in the north of Krizsan province. Maybe it was just a diamond dagger though, I dunno...

Nope it was a Diamond Dagger. Having been playing through E3 and having just beat it a couple days ago, I can say that with some fair certainty. And if you want me to double check, I can go run through the E3 Editor real quick to see if it has a Serendipity Knife, although I'm 90% certain it doesn't. It does, however, have DemonSlayer, which wasn't anywhere in E3 at all(but was placed in Rentar's Keep in A3, for whatever reason. Me I'd have stuck it somewhere a bit more potentially useful, like, say, in a secret area in the Tower of Magi only accessible during the attack.) It also has an Adamantine Axe, also seen nowhere in E3.

It has been too long since I played those. Tyranics and I are playing the Avernum/Exile trilogy in order before the re-release. I'm a third of the way through A1, and I plan on playing A2 and then E3, so I'll get around to playing it again eventually.

It's kind of jarring to think that E3 was the first Spiderweb game I ever played, many moons before I joined these fora (and the act of joining took place many, many moons before that). Time has not been kind.

I know what you mean. I first played E3 in 1998 myself. It's been a long time since then.

T'is why I look forward to this remake, because so far nothing seems to be ready to disappoint me.

Though I must admit I'm hoping for a bit of resizing capability with the party window. It seems a bit too big for what it's used for at the moment. I know I can technically minimize it but I like being able to keep an eye on those stats at all times.

...I'm hoping for a bit of resizing capability with the party window. It seems a bit too big for what it's used for at the moment. I know I can technically minimize it but I like being able to keep an eye on those stats at all times.

Agreed.

I did always and honestly think that Avernum 6's interface was a little more cluttered than I would have liked. A way to keep the party's basic livelihoods tracked while not taking up so much space would be greatly welcomed.

I don't suppose the developer will see this, but...

I revisited Avadon recently and I liked the story text and dialogs better than in the more recent works. It was less verbose, and had bits of surprises in it that kept my interest. I tend to just glance at the dialogs from recent years, scanning for something relevant. Sometimes I just don't read it. Shorter is better.

Like that guy who asks you to read his 'chart'. I remember him. And the lesbian armor shop. A few lines of text only, but I never forgot them.

Keep the old text, please!

Like Blizzard Entertainment and their continual obsession with "Halls", I really do think there's something of a naming issue with Avadon vs. Avernum. Yeah, they both sound cool, but there's just too much room for confusion and overlap. :x

That said, they're both very, VERY different in terms of style and writing.

I have a minor issue (not minor for me!) which will make or break the new game for me. I tried playing Avernum 2 and got less than half way through before quitting. The reason? I got a headache from "wall bumping" to find hidden passages. I REALLY find this a waste of time that interferes with the game playing experience. The "hidden" switch is better, and even better than that is the "u" command that shows all the operable options in the area. In Avadon, (but sadly not in the iOS version) you can rewrite the code to make switches more visible. I quit playing the iOS version solely for this reason.

In short, please please do something like one of these, perhaps as an option or cheat or something, so I don't have to go blind looking for "hidden" switches or run into all the walls in all the rooms, etc. etc. etc. ouch.....

I completely understand people new to the genre and to Spidweb who find wall-bumping and switch-finding tedious. It distracts from the dynamics of the story and the fighting action. It isn't really a distraction though, it's an addition. After all, you're not soldiers - you're adventurers. Special ops. You want to explore. You travel to the darkest corners of every strange pit and every secret fortress, and you want to uncover the truth of things as much as the innards of your enemies.

If this was taken away, it would mean a tremendous blow to the very essential feeling of being thrown into a gigantic, mysterious world. It slows things down a little bit, but this needn't be a bad thing. As already has been pointed out, you get quite efficient in the exploration part of the games with some experience.

Personally, if I want to run through open corridors and fields against waiting foes, I play Diablo.

..or maybe not. Sigh.

Another area where Exile was better with its spells: Magic Map.

Sure it required a sapphire, but it was good stuff.

Maybe, but the early installments of Avernum had a Magic Map spell that not only didn't HAVE a requirement (though I do think it would make sense for Sapphires to return, if only because of how little sense it made for Amber to be one of the gems dejure in a CAVE) but could work outdoors if you were awesome enough to have it at that level. Between those two things, I think the spells are about even.

I'd like it to make a comeback either way, though.

Originally Posted By: Ociporus
A simple "aardvarknum" might work to get it to the front of the alphabet, too...

How about call the game "AAARRRvernum" and add a bunch of pirates to it? Though hitting September 19th, talk like a pirate day, for the release date would be quite difficult.