Avernum 6 For Macintosh, v1.1 Public Beta (Update 5-11-2011)

Spidweb

(Edit 4-21-2011: We released a second candidate. This newer version should display the colors on creatures and items correctly and no longer uses the keypad to make choices in conversation.)

(Edit 4-22-2011: We replaced a download that appeared to have become corrupted. We also fixed some problems with the graphics.)

(Edit 4-25-2011: Version 4 is out, fixing another subtle graphics problem. Engine updates are a huge pain. I'm hoping this is the last update.)

(Edit 5-11-2011: Version 5 is out. It fixes a rare problem where, if the game was running for a while, missiles would stop working.)

We are working on a new version of Avernum 6 for the Macintosh, that uses Apple's Cocoa code base. What this means, in human language, is that it should run a bit faster and run on more future versions of the Apple OS. It's also far more suitable to be placed on the Mac App Store.

v1.1 public beta candidate 5 can be downloaded at

[We have concluded the beta and are releasing the product. Many thanks to everyone who helped!]

If you try it out, please drop us a note at support@spiderwebsoftware.com to let us know how it works. I am very interested. Thank you!

- Jeff Vogel

• 3 weeks later...

EDIT: This problem seems to be solved. A new version of the beta is available above.

I was going to release the update for real today, but I got a last minute bug report. Someone found that his party's single-target attack spells weren't having an effect. This continued until he restarted.

A beta tester had a similar problem, where, very rarely, his party stopped being able to do any damage at all until restarting the game.

These can just be weird file/memory corruptions, but they are similar enough to make me nervous. Has anyone else who tried the public beta had a similar problem?

- Jeff Vogel