Is it just a myth?

PhuQ

Man, I'm in Khemeria now and I've got three unfinished quests from before this journey... I'm glad that I found this nice forum here, otherwise I'd surely become desperate next time (that does not mean that I can't live without solving 100 % of the game). Now to the point; I would never think about searching for any triggers in walls except they are as obvious as a house without any walls. After reading almost the whole Avadon Forum (on second thought I'm just too lazy for the 100 %) I could breathe a sigh of relief because I'm not the only one who had no clue about this! So from now on I should be happy as a squirrel at the rollercoaster and continue playing...

...but no! I can't because I hadn't seen any switches and other people say that you can hardly see them and I would never make any changes to the original game files (only when I was using Windose since there's everything crappy and corrupted anyway) so could you please help me a little by specifying the whole thing a bit more? Can you give me a few hints like what am I supposed to do with that switch - shall I click on that thing or do I have to stand on a certain position? And how can I recognize that - does it have another color? Most people talk about this secret passages in such a certainty as they would know them anyway because they made them themselves smile Or is it just a myth and there aren't any switches... Just kidding...

But that would again be a shame because I think that it's just a great idea to implement such secrets. Maybe they are a bit too secret for some people but they should also don't be as obvious as the broken walls in Zelda. I hope that somebody can help me a bit!

The switches need to be clicked on by standing adjacent to them and moving the cursor over them so they light up. You can stand farther away and slowly move the cursor over the wall about 2/3 of the way from the floor to see if they are there. They are slightly orange colored, but with brick walls they are hard to see. Even knowing where they are you can have trouble spotting them. I walked past one 8 times before I first noticed it on the 9th trip.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door. That way you can't lose it playing the game.

Squirrels happily create their own rollercoasters. Ever seen a couple of squirrels chase each other in a spiral around the trunk of a tree? I have many happy squirrels occupying the evergreens outside my window, a source of much mirth and merriment. I don't know why some people hate squirrels. They always seem to be having fun.

-S-

They are little medium-brown rectangles that light up when you mouse over them. I believe they only occur on walls facing south or east -- or at least if they are on n/w facing walls they'd be hard to see due to the view projection in the game. Usually they just lead to bonus stuff, but in other Avernum games they have occasionally led to important stuff late in the game. Other Spiderweb games have been good to toss in an element early in the game to show you a secret switch. I didn't run across one in Avadon.

The first switch you're pushed toward is the one to find the lost caravan in the Kva Lands. That's not very far into the game, and it's practically handed to you on a platter. It's hard to miss, once you know you're looking for a secret passage, and it's necessary to finish the quest.

True, Jeff didn't make it part of the tutorial to point out switches, and usually doesn't. Because over the last several games secrets have been relatively easy to locate, I suspect that this time Jeff wanted to make secrets more subtle and tricky, something you will discover at some point—sooner if you are looking for them.

-S-

I found a bunch of switches early on in the game. I've now finished all four personal quests and I haven't seen any switches for a long time. I've been looking consistently too! There are a lot of areas on a bunch of maps I just can't get into. These switches (if that's the problem) might be a bit too hard to see.