Left-handed people are entitled to 11% of all chocolate bars

Alex

Which groups are entitled to their fair share of what, and why?

Granting each individual an equal amount of money is not something I support, but it appeals more to me than just picking a few groups that deserve to have their "fair" share of it. Some people seem to think that it's OK if a few super-rich oligarchs control most of the world, as long as there are just enough gays, lefties, bald people etc. among them. Others seem to think group rights are a path towards the greater goal of communism, but more urgent and/or more easily achieved. In the middle, one sees some kind of meritocratic approach, where only a few "oppressed" groups and "oppressor" groups are deemed important enough.

Also, money is not the only thing that some people want to share "fairly". For example, it's considered a huge injustice that men get too many Nobel prizes (but no big deal that Jews get too many).

I don't care all that much about group rights, but more about individual rights. Do you have any particular groups whose causes you support?

clamouring for governments to treat everyone as individuals and assess them only on the content of their own character and all that sounds nice in theory, but it gets pretty hard to resist engaging in identity politics when people's first impression of you is based on their views of a group you belong to

not that i am talking about anyone in particular or anything

I support increased rights for [adult straight white (Christian) males], and so does everyone else on the planet, if you replace the stuff in brackets with a descriptor of your personal ethnic group.

What I'm saying is that everyone supports more rights and power for themselves and the groups they are a memer of, and if the only way to do it is at the expense of the groups that do not include them, they will do so.

One of the problems I see is that we divide ourselves into groups. All the crossed-eyed people over there, blue skinned lizard people over here, and all my friends over here by me.

Push come to shove we are all equal, but enjoy dividing ourselves into groups to support our pride and ego only show that we do not want equality amongst us.

You saying that I am the same as that low life scum that chopped up his wife and murdered his kids? I'm not like him. I'm better then that.

Originally Posted By: Rowen
One of the problems I see is that we divide ourselves into groups. All the crossed-eyed people over there, blue skinned lizard people over here, and all my friends over here by me.

Push come to shove we are all equal, but enjoy dividing ourselves into groups to support our pride and ego only show that we do not want equality amongst us.

Yeah, this is very true. IMO Many world problems would be solved if we stopped thinking only of our nationality. I've often thought that a world government would help. For example, if countries were thought of as provinces, we might feel more obliged to help them, whatever help might mean. I know there are many objections to a world government, and it's probably impossible, but it's worth some thought.

Originally Posted By: VCH
Yeah, this is very true. IMO Many world problems would be solved if we stopped thinking only of our nationality. I've often thought that a world government would help. For example, if countries were thought of as provinces, we might feel more obliged to help them, whatever help might mean. I know there are many objections to a world government, and it's probably impossible, but it's worth some thought.

Nationalism was a tool, created by men to abolish monarchy, which was simply itself a tool that was created by men to abolish feudalism, which was simply itself a tool created to restore order in a chaotic time. Now nationalism itself has outlived its usefulness, and must be cast down as so many systems before it were too, lest we and all others be trapped and perish in a vicious cycle all whist praising it and falsely calling it the "pinnacle" of human sociopolitical evolution.

Originally Posted By: Dantius
I support increased rights for [adult straight white (Christian) males], and so does everyone else on the planet, if you replace the stuff in brackets with a descriptor of your personal ethnic group.

What I'm saying is that everyone supports more rights and power for themselves and the groups they are a memer of, and if the only way to do it is at the expense of the groups that do not include them, they will do so.

Hey Dantius, quit rationalizing your shortcomings by projecting them onto me. It's insulting.

Anyway, like Lilith said, we don't all divide ourselves into groups. Some people get put in groups whether they like it or not.

Originally Posted By: FnordCola
Was...was that an Angband reference?

You have a good feeling about this post...

Click to reveal..
#########################
#ooooooooooooooooooooooo#
#ooooooooooooooooooooooo#######
.oooo.ooooooooooooooooooo..@..#
#ooooooooooooooooooooooo#####.#
#ooooooooooooooooooooooo# #
#########################